BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1861 - 1880 of 1905 Posts

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Tommy, congrats on pulling through - AB got what was coming to them. Now, time to move on with life!

Pssstt: Get an E39 M5 ;)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Same here, Tommy. Congratulations for seeing this through, and for never letting it cloud your judgement. While I don't know you personally, you always come accross as a true gentlemen and one of the "Good Guys!"

Best wishes for the future. Don't be a stanger!

·
Registered
32 Posts
In case anyone wants to share your feelings with Mr. Skates, find him on facebook: Aaron Skates | Facebook

Tommy, you did a lot of heavy lifting for all of us. Thank you. I took your advice and now hand write "Not to be driven without presence of the owner" on the work order every time I take my car ANYWHERE for ANYTHING.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Maybe I don't remember. But I didn't realize this had been settled.

Firstly congratulations to Tommy for winning a hard fight. I also feel he should have been compensated more considering how much effort and frustration went into this. It took about 6-8 weeks for me to resolve my situation when a dealer crashed my car and I know the frustration is HARD. You can't function because you feel so infuriated at their complete lack of accountability for their actions. I couldn't imagine with as long as it took Tommy let alone how much he invested into the legal fight.

I also think that for anyone in this situation, it's important to know what works and what doesn't. I also went the legal route but after 6 weeks I already had $3k in legal bills just from writing letters of intent and they were not budging at all. Once I stepped up with even the THREAT of a PR battle I had their lawyers on the phone wanting to settle within HOURS and it was obvious I had the upper hand.

For those that don't recall, I had purchased the domain names of the dealer ending in .com (theirs were all in .ca) for their VW, Audi, and Porsche dealerships. I then mentioned on a forum I knew they were watching (they were already threatening to sue ME for slander because I was telling people what they'd done!) that I was going to post the whole story there with eyewitness accounts and pictures if they didn't resolved things within a week. It would have been 3 totally factual websites and even the domain names were reasonably related to the sites' purposes so shutting them down would have been a nightmare for them.

And another final word of wisdom with the settlements. If your car is being repaired under insurance (in my case my insurance was covering it and they would bill the dealer after, but still following the insurance guidelines) make sure you have a clause for the dealer to pay anything not covered by the insurance. Some examples were my shocks and brakes. Rotor on 1 side was cracked so both needed to be replaced, but insurance only covered the broken one. Same for suspension. I had a couple bent shocks, but the parts had been updated so I had to replace the other 2 out of pocket in order to not have different shocks on each side of the car. Try to think of any such possibilities and mention them specifically.

·
Registered
755 Posts
thanks for the helpful info for others that may encounter this.

·
Registered
918 Posts
the last few pages of this thread were so intense (50+ post settings)

He better have won for being without his dream car for a YEAR b/c of a knucklehead.

I have a family member that went thru this at a MB dealership...so don't think this doesn't happen at others.

I think they settled with an illegality though...and gave her a new car to be quiet (not judging her decision but idk about that)

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
This post has receive a million views. An M5board first.:applause:

·
Registered
4 Posts
An amazing thread, and the only comment I'd care to make is regarding the person who recently posted a link to Mr. Skate's facebook page in case anyone wanted to "share [their] feelings" with Mr. Skates. Well I'd like to share my feelings, and it's to vent my annoyance with the warm-hearted person that suggested such a move. Every adult can appreciate that problems arise in life and were not handled in the appropriate way by the service manager, general manager, and presumably the dealership owner. That's what management's for, to handle problems. Mr. Skate's role is neither here nor there, it's what happened after the accident that counts. Want to make a statement? It's simple, don't buy a car from the dealership in question. Or, if you're the OP, pursue your remedies in court. But leave Mr. Skates alone, he had a bad day at work through something like 30 seconds of negligence and apparently paid for it with his job (a very hard price in this economy). Accidents happen all the time, and how many of us would want to be permanently judged by the dumbest thing we ever did at work? Certainly not me. Very likely Mr. Skates has learned a good hard lesson here and will be more diligent in the future. But suggesting that readers of this forum should "share their feelings" (i.e., harass) Mr. Skates on his facebook page or elsewhere is simply bad form. Thankfully, I'm sure that members of this forum are well above such behavior and you should be too.

The OP has received fair recompense for his car and won a very public victory in court. The dealership is still in business and presumably making money hand over fist as only a BMW dealership can. And Mr. Skates? As Churchill wrote in his memoirs of a much larger battle: "In Victory, Magnanimity." Good words to remember on a Sunday afternoon.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,875
I would agree with you if it wasn't for the fact Skates lied about what he did. It's one thing to make a bad decision, we have all done it. But when he did not own up to what he did and fabricated a ridiculous story...I have zero tolerance. It comes down to a man's character and ultimately doing the right thing in the end. Integrity. He had his opportunity to do the right thing and he choose not to.

·
Registered
79 Posts
This was a good read and happy to hear that you got some justice in this matter. I remember reading this in jalopnik and went through it in here today. So what car did you end up getting?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am so sorry and I can only say if I were in your shoes ... hell hath no wrath like a woman scorned. And I would be ballistic! This should remind us all to be sure to find trusted places for work and service.
-mguthrie03

·
Registered
376 Posts
Read thru the majority of this and after it's all said and done, glad to see it appears over with. Going thru something like that is awful.
What car did you end up getting? We know where you didn't get it from and where it won't be serviced.......

1861 - 1880 of 1905 Posts