BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently driving a M3(E46) and is thinking of buying the new M5. I have two concerns and appreciate for comments.

1. I notice that the shift is not smooth at all in auto mode (A1 - A5) at slow speed when I drive the M3 in city. Is there any improvement in new M5?

2. How is the comfort level compared to typical 5 Series when M5 is in in Comfort mode?

Regards,

Gillie

·
Registered
127 Posts
Gillie_HK said:
I am currently driving a M3(E46) and is thinking of buying the new M5. I have two concerns and appreciate for comments.

1. I notice that the shift is not smooth at all in auto mode (A1 - A5) at slow speed when I drive the M3 in city. Is there any improvement in new M5?

2. How is the comfort level compared to typical 5 Series when M5 is in in Comfort mode?

1. Correct. The new M5 is not smooth in D1-D5 either. 7 gears is to much for auto mode, makes it a bit jerky with slow response.

2. The comfort is excellent, a lot better that other 5 series. Great to have a choice between comfort, normal and sport. Hard to find a better ride in terms of comfort.

//Ekan

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
The reports of new M5 owners seem to indicate that while the SMG is better in all respects than the previous SMG II generation (in the M3), it is still not nearly as smooth and transparently automatic as a true automatic. I understand that the hydraulic torque converter adds some inherent smoothness not requiring intelligence, but I am disappointed that BMW (and others) haven't gotten the software right yet so that SMG delivers perfect shifts each time and along any desired dimenion (e.g., smoothness vs. speed/performance). Given that from the time of shift decision (whether automatic/D mode or manual) to the completion of the shift, the SMG computer can have control over all relevant factors including timing of clutch in/out, speed of clutch in/out, and throttle, it should be able to make the most perfect manual shift every time. I hope that BMW keeps working on this because it is definitely a problem that can be solved from where they are now.

Tom

·
Registered
127 Posts
bernhtp said:
The reports of new M5 owners seem to indicate that while the SMG is better in all respects than the previous SMG II generation (in the M3), it is still not nearly as smooth and transparently automatic as a true automatic. I understand that the hydraulic torque converter adds some inherent smoothness not requiring intelligence, but I am disappointed that BMW (and others) haven't gotten the software right yet so that SMG delivers perfect shifts each time and along any desired dimenion (e.g., smoothness vs. speed/performance). Given that from the time of shift decision (whether automatic/D mode or manual) to the completion of the shift, the SMG computer can have control over all relevant factors including timing of clutch in/out, speed of clutch in/out, and throttle, it should be able to make the most perfect manual shift every time. I hope that BMW keeps working on this because it is definitely a problem that can be solved from where they are now.

Tom

Tom,

Well said. This is exactly the case. This "auto thing" is so frustrating I would actually consider a manual or the new 550i when available.

What stops me is the manual mode (paddles) which is really cool and works extremely well! Please BMW fix this!

:cheers:

·
Registered
881 Posts
By its very nature, an SMG type of transmission using just one clutch will never be as 'smooth' as a traditional automatic. BMW's M cars will still suffer from slight problems shifting in 'D' mode until the DKG transmission is released, which I believe is BMW's version of the Audi/VW DSG type of auto-manual. That semi-automatic manual transmission can and does feel as 'smooth' in D mode as a regular automatic.
Bish

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
thebishman said:
By its very nature, an SMG type of transmission using just one clutch will never be as 'smooth' as a traditional automatic. BMW's M cars will still suffer from slight problems shifting in 'D' mode until the DKG transmission is released, which I believe is BMW's version of the Audi/VW DSG type of auto-manual. That semi-automatic manual transmission can and does feel as 'smooth' in D mode as a regular automatic.
Bish
I wonder when the DKG transmission will be offered on the M5? It sounds like Audi has them beat on this one, for now anyways.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wolverine said:
I wonder when the DKG transmission will be offered on the M5? It sounds like Audi has them beat on this one, for now anyways.
It's coming on the Porsche Turbo - and a reason they have stayed on the sidelines as Ferrari and BMW have used the single clutch technology which is fine for aggressive manual driving but suffers in town.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts