BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another gem from my stash of old German Auto Motor und Sport publications; this time a comparison between two siblings based on the same platform, the high revving E28 M5 vs the forced induction BMW Alpina B7 turbo Katalysator.

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
Private investigator? The ruined :confused3 Any pics? Great to see that you have the actual example! WHere did you find it?
the pics are on BMW m registry, or evene here in the forum, if you'd like i could sort out some pics from my HD here:( but is really sad looking, rusted, completely dismantled, with a little hit in the front, but the original, with the original documents.. and i bought it without even knowing that it was the ex test car, i only discovered it some weeks later. I managed but to get back the whole SK audio System, fitted from BMW Motorsport to this car and very little others meybe no more then 20 cars. This was my lucky find, because it could be unreplaceable, if lost.
I bought this relict only because reshelling is unlegal in Italy and Germany, and i bought from an scrap yard a complete M635csi without shell, so i wanted to use this or for a M5 e28 (which had only 2 needing, high options from new and no polaris/black/diamant/salmon) or, if not got one in 24 months time, i would have created a H35s replica on a e30 before restyling, or a M88 e12....

·
Registered
940 Posts
Check out the January 2011 issue of BMW Car - it has a good article on the E28 B7/B7 KAT.:M5thumbs:

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
Raymond,

we could do a 2011 test of this? You own an E28 M5 right? I think I can find a B7 KAT

·
Registered
907 Posts
Raymond,

Great article. I was looking to find on the B7 what is the final drive ratio ???? They put all the tests but the final drive I guess politics between Alpina and M GmbH...hmmm

I know the Euro E28 M5 M88/3 has 3.73LSD vs Alpina B7 ???

I guess the B7 will be a lot taller differential ratio (something like 2.79, 2,93). Knowing Alpina likes top speed at the autobahn...

Anri

·
Registered
907 Posts
Raymond,

we could do a 2011 test of this? You own an E28 M5 right? I think I can find a B7 KAT
Wout, make sure you put 3.73LSD and with combination of 320hp say buy buy to Ray's E28 M5 :byee55amg:M5launch:

Also on the B7 the gear box is Getrag 260 and will give you better acceleration than Getrag 280 ;)

Anri

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Wout, make sure you put 3.73LSD and with combination of 320hp say buy buy to Ray's E28 M5 :byee55amg:M5launch:

Also on the B7 the gear box is Getrag 260 and will give you better acceleration than Getrag 280
;)

Anri

:eek7:

The Diff in B7 is 2.65 vs 3.73 on EU models .. USA have 3.91

B7 have the dogleg box 265/5 with 5th 1:1 i think ............vs 280/5 in the M5 with 0.81:1 in 5th

but the torque in the B7 is what that will crush the M5
I think a B7 with 3.73 would be left behind by the M5

1 - 15 of 15 Posts