BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you noticed that the indicators on the new E60 M5 when you indicate left (say) and try to cancel but gently pushing the stalk, they tend to blink with the other side light on the right. It looks like I dont know where I am going.

Is there a technique on using this ? I feel a prat sometimes signaling all over the place. hiha

·
Registered
540 Posts
Press it softly in the direction it is already indicating and it should cancel it

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Yes- but I think you are best served reading the owners manual as I have problems with this in the 7. It was originally in the 2002 7 that you would push the indicator up for a right indication and down for a left indication. To cancel the indication youd push it in the same direction. This was the opposite of what people expected and I find in the newer 7s and 5s they now allow you to cancel it if you push the opposite direction- however, I think if you push too hard in the opposite direction you now trigger the wrong direction signal- as we have found out. IMHO this is one place where they need to make improvements and they should have stuck with the way things were being done.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Clarkson was quick to point this problem out on Top Gear recently. I think it just needs a little practice. I agree they should have left it alone.

·
Registered
101 Posts
SuperBMW said:
Press it softly in the direction it is already indicating and it should cancel it
Ahhhh, just like a BMW motorcycle......It's been like this for years. Some hate it. Some love it.

·
Registered
766 Posts
BMW_Addiction said:
Ahhhh, just like a BMW motorcycle......It's been like this for years. Some hate it. Some love it.
Unless I'm mistaken, they've change their logic again. On the K1200s you have a separate cancelling button. Pressing the turn button a 2nd time doesn't seem to do anything.

They haven;t figured out yet that their idea of perfect ergonomics requires people to change many years of habits as well as having to think, "now which car/bike am I driving and how do I do simple things that I shouldn't have to think about?"

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
My friends E90 is the same way, and if you gently push the stalk but dont hit the second detent it will cancel. If you push it into the second detent it will signal that direction and you look like a tool.
:cheers:

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Yep and when you are getting frustrated by traffic or whatever, you then push too hard and increase the frustration level! ouich Its not that big a deal, but it should be rectified. One useful feature this new system enables is the soft push to get a three blink without the need to cancel. Thats nice to have, but IMHO not worth the trade off.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
IIRC the new Jetta has the soft click for 3 blinks, but has a normal operation of the turn signals. It has been a few months since I have driven one so I might not be 100% on that info, but as memory serves me there is no other tricks to them than that.
I drove my buds E90 today, and you do push the stalk in the direction of the arrow to the first detent to keep it from blinking. I guess it is all in what you are used to.
:cheers:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Come on guys, stop your complaining on the indicators, Ive been using the system for over 4 years, it works, its almost silent, and it is very classy. The only thing it was missing was the 3 blink indicator action. Now that that is in too, it's Perfect. Used to balance the indicator when changing lanes to mimic a 3 blink, would usually only make it a single blink, but hey, who's counting? Trust me guys, it'll grow on ya. Enjoy.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I love the turn signals, and don't find it hard to control at all.

If you don't like them, check iDrive, the last 05 545i I drove has the option to turn it off. Interesting because my brother-in-laws' early 05 545i doesn't.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Sure they're different and annoying (even embarrassing) until you learn and get used to them. Then you come to realize that there was a reason for this change and it has benefits.

Tom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts