BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

For the past couple of days my headlights have been on when set to the "auto" position regardless of the ambient light levels. This could be punishment for going through an automatic (touchless) car wash, as I first noticed it when I drove out...

Where is the headlight sensor? Is it in the windshield by the rearview mirror?

Any help is appreciated. A search revealed a few threads about headlights never going off regardless of switch position, but nothing about this.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Is your fog light switch turned on? If so, the auto lamps will always be on when the fogs are on.

Reactions: Dcamco

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mine have been on since I bought the car, but I never thought anything of it as I never knew any different. The fog lights being powered on explains it. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,432 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
How can I retrofit the auto headlights on the 01 M5?

Caesar,

I've done it on mine and just need to finish up the coding and I'll write a DIY. It's easy to do!

I'm stuck on a business trip, but as soon as I get home, I'll be able to wrap it up.

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
Reactions: lightwerkz

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The fog lights weren't on, but the lights clicked off halfway home last night and seem to be working now. Thanks for the idea though.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Interesting... has it been cloudy or something? I guess some kind of wax coat from the car washer could have caused the rain/autolamp sensor to get a false reading.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts