BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
You got DWA (the antitheft system, dunno, if its called DWA in UK too :) )?
Then the wiring is already in place.
In case you don't: just have a look. BMW put alot of wiring in our cars even if it wasnt needed (not like nowadays).

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got some wiring and the colours match but the mirror doesn't do anything do I need a relay aswell?

·
Registered
65 Posts
No, not really. Should work right away. What kind of mirror do you want to install? There are alot of different versions of the auto dimming mirrors? Also do you have the IR sensor in your mirror (for remote lock/unlock & anti-theft)?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure what one it is.. Doesn't have the option to turn off or down the sensor of how much you want it to dim. Its not a IR version.

·
Registered
132 Posts
They used a few different mirrors. The harness connector is tucked behind the headliner under the left visor (on LHD cars, could be on the right on RHD cars), and if your car doesn't have the IR keyless/alarm system from the factory, it is easy to confuse the harness connector tied up back there for the mirror's connector. If there's any doubt, get a meter and test the leads against ground -- no alarm system in the car means the connector will be dead.

Early cars had auto dipping mirrors -- the harness has 3 wires. Ground, constant power, and headlights on. If you have one of these, wire the mirror up to headlights on/ground, else the mirror will constantly be on and draw current while the car is off.

Later cars ('91-'92) have the adjustable contrast mirror. I don't remember what the harness connector looks like, but it should be standard.

Even later cars ('93-'94, all E32 in the US) use a Gentex 117, which has no outward controls. This mirror uses a standard ~ 6 pin black connector, but again only 3 pins are used.

The last mirror that I know about is the one with the IR sensor built in, which also has an on/off knob I think.

I think you're probably looking at a gentex 117 -- there should be some text to that effect on the windscreen side of the mirror.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
my LE has an auto dimming rear view mirror and I hate it. makes identifying dibble nearly impossible at night, and allows you only to see the headlights of cars, and lose any other details. am i the only one that finds this the case???

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I think it makes identifying rearward vehicless easier, as their lights dont dazlle you as much with this type of mirror.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Jahangeer said:
I think it makes identifying rearward vehicless easier, as their lights dont dazlle you as much with this type of mirror.
identifying there is a car there yes, but seeing details on the car/occupants of the car nearly impossible!!!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I would like those rear lights you can get on the rear of Swedish Security Police's E39's, that are supposed to dazzle any would be followers.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
BURTON said:
But Iam too lazy to use that.. hehe
com'on!!! its not hard, and you have complete control.
I hate unecessary automated devices that try to work out what you want - they never get it right in my experience.
I'll dip the mirror when i want, i don't need a computer to work out when its dark to turn on my lights, i have eyes, i can see its dark.
Nor do i need a rain sensor to tell me when it raining - i can see its raining!!!
Bloody stupid gimmicks, technology for the sake of it IMHO.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Jahangeer said:
I would like those rear lights you can get on the rear of Swedish Security Police's E39's, that are supposed to dazzle any would be followers.
I always wanted a scrolling LED display, with a QWERTY keyboard mounted up front, to type messages to other motorists!!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
illjah said:
I hate unecessary automated devices that try to work out what you want - they never get it right in my experience.
I'll dip the mirror when i want, i don't need a computer to work out when its dark to turn on my lights, i have eyes, i can see its dark.
Nor do i need a rain sensor to tell me when it raining - i can see its raining!!!
agree mate. however i do enjoy all of those though..

just makes life easier some how.

cherrsagai

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
BURTON said:
Yeah I tend to find that I am getting dazzled alot by cars behind.
Thats what the righthand side pedal is for. Just press it gently, if the dazzling doesn't stop, use the left pedal and change the position of that leather stick in the middle, and then apply the right pedal again. Problem solved.

BTW, Kalevera..Good post:thumbsup:

Wout

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
illjah said:
I loved those things on the R32 Golf!!! Bloody handy...

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sebring NL said:
Thats what the righthand side pedal is for. Just press it gently, if the dazzling doesn't stop, use the left pedal and change the position of that leather stick in the middle, and then apply the right pedal again. Problem solved.

Wout
Ahh is that what that is for?!?!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
7 Participants
BURTON
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing