BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was insane, especially in the morning when there was still a little frost on the track. My last run I did well, improving about 10 seconds after a pro driver gave me instructions and rode with me (and I rode with him). First time racing and I think I'm addicted.

Will post photos soon.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
5000+ lbs.? What was in the trunk?:)

·
Registered
567 Posts
You are confusing gross weight with empty weight.
Gross weight is weight of the car plus its maximum payload, which for an M5 is about 1000 lbs of people and cargo.
An M5 weighs in around 4000 lbs empty with a full tank of fuel.
Check the specifications section of your owners manual, it lists the 'ready for the road' weight, which is weight of car, plus driver, plus full tank of fuel.

Glad you had fun at the track though! How'd the tires survive the beating you no doubt gave them?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are confusing gross weight with empty weight.
Gross weight is weight of the car plus its maximum payload, which for an M5 is about 1000 lbs of people and cargo.
An M5 weighs in around 4000 lbs empty with a full tank of fuel.
Check the specifications section of your owners manual, it lists the 'ready for the road' weight, which is weight of car, plus driver, plus full tank of fuel.

Glad you had fun at the track though! How'd the tires survive the beating you no doubt gave them?
I must have--door panel says 50xx lbs.

Anyway, tires did well since I really couldn't get much traction. Good times.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Where did you run? Was it the Everett event last week? A buddy of mine from Seattle races in C-Prepared all the time. We also have a guy from just North of Seattle come up here to our events in an E30 stroker 325ix.
Auto-x is a blast. I was hooked after my first event as well. :M5launch:

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where did you run? Was it the Everett event last week? A buddy of mine from Seattle races in C-Prepared all the time. We also have a guy from just North of Seattle come up here to our events in an E30 stroker 325ix.
Auto-x is a blast. I was hooked after my first event as well. :M5launch:
Bremerton Motorsports Park. Mostly Miatas and lots of Corvettes. Even a bug!

I was thinking about buying an E30 for racing. Don't want to put too many laps on the beast.

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
2003 Owner's Manual:

"Curb weight (with one person, ready for operation, full tank of fuel, options not included) lbs. (kg) 4,024 (1,825)"

Reactions: EM5PWR

·
Registered
931 Posts
I have taken my M5 Auto Crossing a few times (Virginia, Capital Driving Club) and find that this car is too heavy IMHO. Even with the tires pumped up, I still had a lot of front tire roll over on the sidewalls. It is a Hooot smoking the tires on some of the turns but that does not give good times. Being smoooooth is the name of the game.

Enjoy!!!!!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, no more using the M5 for autox. It's total crap. I pull good times compared to many cars, but not as good as I could be. I'm buying a track car.

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
crap? not sure about that but....
Yeah, really. I'm 3 for 3 now getting FTD at the BMWCCA autocrosses at the Performance Center...of course I've been autocrossing for 33 years, but with the right setup and driving style and a decent course, the M5 is definitely not crap. lovelove See some in-car video. :)

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
Not crap or even close to crap, it just takes slighly more skill, throttle modulation and being able to properly oversteer or drift when needed....

Nice BTW

Ryan

Yeah, really. I'm 3 for 3 now getting FTD at the BMWCCA autocrosses at the Performance Center...of course I've been autocrossing for 33 years, but with the right setup and driving style and a decent course, the M5 is definitely not crap. lovelove See some in-car video. :)

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
Not crap or even close to crap, it just takes slighly more skill, throttle modulation and being able to properly oversteer or drift when needed....

Ryan

Yep, it's a lot of fun too. I really enjoy the M5 on decent autox courses. At an Evo Extreme School last year, Mike Jr Johnson and Tim Aro sure loved driving the car too (we swap off driving with Evo instructor and student). Jr especially enjoyed it. Both are multiple national champ autocrossers and Jr won the 2007 Pro Solo championship.

As an aside, if anyone really wants to improve their driving, taking the Evolution Autocross Schools is an outstanding experience...no matter what your experience level or how long you've been autocrossing/racing. Evolution Performance Driving School

Chuck

Reactions: rneedham1979

·
Registered
939 Posts
Yeah, no more using the M5 for autox. It's total crap. I pull good times compared to many cars, but not as good as I could be. I'm buying a track car.
Not quite total crap.

I am with Ryan and Chuck on this one. I autocross my car with the local BMWCCA chapter. My car is stock regarding suspension and the wheels. I just upgraded the rotors, pads, and front tires for a trip to the Gingerman (track in South Haven, MI).

I know with the short courses I don't really have a chance against some of the lighter (and modified) cars that are out there, but I am definitely not last in my group. I look for improvements each time out. My last outting, I started off a little slow getting used to the course, but by the last run (best run of the day), I had knocked off almost 7 seconds.

I think it gives a great opportunity to learn what the car can do. I really look at it as an opportunity to become a better driver and have fun doing it. Never know when you'll be facing an obstacle in the road where the skills you learn can help you through.

Have fun with whatever track car you end up with. :)

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry, crap is an overstatement. Don't get me wrong--I love my M5. It's just not a proper track or autox car compared to an E46 or E92 M3. Or if I go down the dark, dark road, an Audi RS4.

I do well AutoX in the M5, just not as good as I could be.

As I've stated before, I hate Miatas.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts