BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks,
Great to finally be a part of the definitive M5 forum. I've currently got a 6 cylinder E39 and am thinking I need the M5 in my life! But they are pretty thin on the ground in Australia. After looking a couple of months, it seems I might need to catch a plane a few hundred kilometres just to actually test drive one for sale...
So please let me know if you are aware of any cars for sale.

Does anyone know if how the pedal setup compares to the normal E39s? I find the E39's brake pedal too high, which makes it difficult to blip the throttle with the outside of my foot for heel-and-toe downshifts. The part numbers are different for the M5 pedal setup, so I'm hoping it's a bit friendlier to these "racecar" antics.

Lastly, another German V8 sedan is kinda on the shortlist: the Audi B6 S4. Just in case anyone here has experience with them, do they fall apart as often as the internet suggests? Are they hard to work on? What is a good website for parts (I checked a few items on pelicanparts, and often the Audi version cost 30% more than the BMW equivalent, so just wondering if this is normal)

Simon

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hi folks,
Great to finally be a part of the definitive M5 forum. I've currently got a 6 cylinder E39 and am thinking I need the M5 in my life! But they are pretty thin on the ground in Australia. After looking a couple of months, it seems I might need to catch a plane a few hundred kilometres just to actually test drive one for sale...
So please let me know if you are aware of any cars for sale.

Does anyone know if how the pedal setup compares to the normal E39s? I find the E39's brake pedal too high, which makes it difficult to blip the throttle with the outside of my foot for heel-and-toe downshifts. The part numbers are different for the M5 pedal setup, so I'm hoping it's a bit friendlier to these "racecar" antics.

Lastly, another German V8 sedan is kinda on the shortlist: the Audi B6 S4. Just in case anyone here has experience with them, do they fall apart as often as the internet suggests? Are they hard to work on? What is a good website for parts (I checked a few items on pelicanparts, and often the Audi version cost 30% more than the BMW equivalent, so just wondering if this is normal)

Simon
Hi welcome to the board.

I seem to recall there may be a small rubber stop by the pedal that levels them out - make sure yours has not disappeared. I went 530d to m5 and found pedal config the same - but faster!

Simon

·
Registered
71 Posts
I find the brake pedal travel is quite long with standard brakes on the M5 so they do get to a reasonable level for using the side of your foot to heel-and-toe. The throttle response is better for this in sport mode, with some practice it works well.

Persevere in your search. The S4 might appeal more at first with its slightly more overt "sportiness". It's certainly easier to get it off the line quickly when the road isn't perfect. The M5 however has the kind of chassis that just gets more and more rewarding with time and in my humble opinion has a far greater depth of talent. But I might be slightly biased!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

I seem to recall there may be a small rubber stop by the pedal that levels them out - make sure yours has not disappeared.
Yes, I must check this. I assume the rubber stop is for the accelerator pedal? (it's a bit hard to search for "pedal stop" without drowning in results for clutch stops)

The S4 might appeal more at first with its slightly more overt "sportiness". It's certainly easier to get it off the line quickly when the road isn't perfect. The M5 however has the kind of chassis that just gets more and more rewarding with time and in my humble opinion has a far greater depth of talent. But I might be slightly biased!
Actually, all-wheel-drive is a downside of the S4 in my book. I definitely prefer RWD. The appeal of the S4 is that it's a bit smaller externally and there's something really cool about a family wagon (sorry, "estate") that goes like stink. Also perhaps my impatience that there's so few M5s coming up for sale...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Before getting my E39 M5 I actually test drove a B6 S4. Coming from the VW/Audi world it was a more familiar car for me. The S4 was a nice car, really fun and had power, but as soon as I compared it to the M5 there was no question. The overall package the M5 provides in terms of interior/aesthetics was enough to sway me, let alone the shear enjoyment of engaging Sport mode and stomping on the pedal!

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
As an owner of an E39 530i and an E39 M5, let me tell you they're very different animals, perfect for different occasions. I use the 530 for DD and the M on weekend short trips, what a great combination! Regarding the pedal position, I don't think there's much difference between the two, but from my experience, heel toe is only needed during very aggressive deceleration at which point you'll be pressing the brake pedal harder than usual, and it's in the perfect plane with blipping the throttle. The 5 is quite a bit roomier than the 4, choose wisely. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds good.

Now I'm even more keen to actually take one for a test drive! Must be patient!

(So far, the false starts have included one seller who, after extolling the virtues of his car for 15 minutes, casually mentions it is unregistered and up on blocks in his garage. And I got oh so close with another car- went for a ride with the owner and just before I was about to swap into the drivers seat, the car broke down, much to his embarrassment!)

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'd be lying if I said an RS4 or RS6 (Avants) wouldn't tempt me. I would imagine they'd be even more trouble to take care of though.

·
Registered
12,891 Posts
I'd be lying if I said an RS4 or RS6 (Avants) wouldn't tempt me. I would imagine they'd be even more trouble to take care of though.
RS4 a lot higher level than an S4. And size wise I believe closer to a 3 series than a 5 series.

If AWD not an asset, the M5 is clearly better.

As to brake pedal height, if too low, simply add a pedal cover that you screw in (two holes). That should give you a little extra height for heel and toe. I used one from an auto setup to effectively make the pedals closer together. Works perfectly for me.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
417 Posts
As an owner of both an E39 M5 and B7 S4, I can tell you that while I enjoy the S4, the M5 is by far a better driver's car. I would venture to say that if the S4 had a slightly different ratio of front/rear power (as opposed to 50/50 now), it would give a better sensation. Also, the engine is mounted so far forward that I fear understeer more than in the M5.

The S4 is great for winter driving, when AWD is necessary (or just nice to have). However, every time I get in my M5, I am glad I have it.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Bimmerule, just wondering if the M5 demands much more maintenance dollars than the 530i?
Once the M5 is brought up to par, the relative cost between the 2 really comes down to parts. However, to get the M5 up to par, there's significant initial out outlay. In that respect, the 530 is much more reliable, fewer things tend to break, not as hard on the suspension, etc. If you're able to do the work yourself, it's quite manageable.

RS4 a lot higher level than an S4. And size wise I believe closer to a 3 series than a 5 series.

If AWD not an asset, the M5 is clearly better.

As to brake pedal height, if too low, simply add a pedal cover that you screw in (two holes). That should give you a little extra height for heel and toe. I used one from an auto setup to effectively make the pedals closer together. Works perfectly for me.

Regards,
Jerry
Jerry, I think the OP is saying the brake pedal is too high. :blink:

Reactions: gsfent

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As an owner of both an E39 M5 and B7 S4, I can tell you that while I enjoy the S4, the M5 is by far a better driver's car. I would venture to say that if the S4 had a slightly different ratio of front/rear power (as opposed to 50/50 now), it would give a better sensation. Also, the engine is mounted so far forward that I fear understeer more than in the M5.

The S4 is great for winter driving, when AWD is necessary (or just nice to have). However, every time I get in my M5, I am glad I have it.
Thanks. I am now convinced that the M5 is the one I want. Just out of interest, how have you found S4 maintenance costs? A few people have told me they're a pain to work on and parts are expensive, but I'm not sure if this is just heresay.

Once the M5 is brought up to par, the relative cost between the 2 really comes down to parts. However, to get the M5 up to par, there's significant initial out outlay. In that respect, the 530 is much more reliable, fewer things tend to break, not as hard on the suspension, etc. If you're able to do the work yourself, it's quite manageable.
Good to know. Looks like I need to be super careful to buy a car that doesn't have a mountain of work needed to bring it up to par!

Yes, I'm happy to DIY. I've gone through most of the E39 common failures with the 530 (although a few of the harder jobs got outsourced to the local indy guru)

Yeah, although a wider brake pedal might also help. I was playing around with it yesterday on the 530 and couldn't find a comfortable/reliable method. Granted it's on the street with light braking, so the brake pedal is higher than on the track, but on the E30 a little flick of the throttle with the outside of my foot always works a treat. Maybe the E39 pedals are further apart, or there's something wrong with the throttle response. Also, the heavily silenced engine on the 530 increases the difficulty a bit.

Anyway, I guess there's always solutions (eg Ultimate Pedals), so this isn't an M5 deal breaker!

·
Registered
12,891 Posts
Thanks!

I suspect part of the problem is under light braking you are not pushing the brake pedal down very much. As noted, on the track you are pressing the pedal much harder and pushing it further to the floor.

What works for the brake pedal also works for the gas pedal. And if pedals are too far apart, you can add an extender along the side of your new gas pedal cover.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
179 Posts
My car is for sale... its in excellent condition. its getting a full interior/ exterior detail literally right now. it will be on carsales by this evening or tomorrow morning. look in the for sale section in the australian forum. $38k.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Check on Gumtree, last week was a Carbon Black 99 model on Gold Coast $26k odd, add read really good, totally stock full maintenance everything working. 216000km or so. Worth a look. Where in Aus are you?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Is it the same one as on car sales? 234,000k and is going for $26990?.. If not that is another option for you.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Thanks. I am now convinced that the M5 is the one I want. Just out of interest, how have you found S4 maintenance costs? A few people have told me they're a pain to work on and parts are expensive, but I'm not sure if this is just heresay.
I can't really say that the S4 is any more expensive than the M5 in maintenance. The largest difference is the amount of community support. Chances are that any problem you have, will have been documented here whereas I cannot say the same for anything on the S4. A few of my issues I have had to work through on my own, which is not a big deal.

·
Registered
179 Posts
another one just went up 99' 100,000k $36k carsales....so thats 3 or 4 for sale. hopefully you find what you are looking for

1 - 20 of 34 Posts