BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have said before but I will say it again.
This a tremendous piece of work.
The piece conveys a feeling of friendship & some scale
to the vastness that is Australia.
Aye to the first bit - the friendship

Nay to the second - the vastness of Australia. To get the second bit, you really need to get out past the black stump - to the back of beyond. A drive to Perth and back'll give you a feel for scale. You get in your car and drive, and drive and ..... It gets to the stage where, on the Nullabor Plain (literally, the treeless plain) you find yourself stopping at every available petrol station - which is about every two hours just for something to do! Not the sort of trip that I'd waste an M5 on. The drive to Cairns and back is another interesting one - easy to clock up a thousand miles in a day - but a real pity that the nanny state puts speed limits on it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
A while back a collegue and I were trying to explain the distances in Australia to an English business associate who was planning to take his rent a car on an overnight trip from Brisbane to see Cairns and the Great Barrier Reef.

The best explanation we could come up with was, despite them being in the same state, the distance is roughly equivalent London - Belgrade.

To this day I'm sure he thinks we were exagerating

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Wow, thanks Dave!

Great write up of what looks like a great trip.

Pics brought a few memories back of my FZR1000/RF900/ZZR1100 days. Had some great rides in some of the areas you drove.

When is this years tour? I will possible be in Melbourne for a wedding in early November, if it coincides I'll beg/borrow/steal a vehicle. The groom has a chipped, koni'd cammed, big braked etc SS ute he might lend me. Make a great support car!

T

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
T - haven't yet set a date for the 2007 run. Although some discussion is occuring regarding possible routes.

November is definitely a possibility though - more likely late than early if i have anything to do with it!

It would be great if you can make it. If not, it would be good to meet up with a few of us anyway.

Cheers

Wow, thanks Dave!

Great write up of what looks like a great trip.

Pics brought a few memories back of my FZR1000/RF900/ZZR1100 days. Had some great rides in some of the areas you drove.

When is this years tour? I will possible be in Melbourne for a wedding in early November, if it coincides I'll beg/borrow/steal a vehicle. The groom has a chipped, koni'd cammed, big braked etc SS ute he might lend me. Make a great support car!

T

·
Registered
481 Posts
This is a great story, and one that should be kept, but maybe it would be better stored on a dedicated webpage, rather than as a thread? I just measured how much data gets downloaded when you open this thread, and it's almost exactly 50MB! I run a 512MB cache on my browser, but since it's been a week since I last viewed this page, it had to download all 50MB again.

John

·
Registered
292 Posts
It's on again!!

Hi all,
The Aussie Alps tour is on again over the weekend of December 7th to 9th.

meet Thursday night in <st1>North Wangaratta</st1>, Friday Winton and then off through the hills.

I have booked “Bowser Lodge” in <st1>North Wangaratta</st1> (where we stayed last year) for Thursday the 6<sup>th</sup> and Friday the 7<sup>th</sup> of December. I figured we would just run the same route as last year for Saturday and stay in Thredbo Saturday night. I was a bit worried about playing “dodge the roo” again on the way up to Thredbo but then I realised that in December we’ll have plenty of time as it will get dark about 3 hours later than it did last year. I tried to confirm the availability of the river inn again but they’re on holidays and can’t confirm until Tuesday, so I’ve sent an email and will let you know the outcome.

Cheers
Garry

21 - 28 of 28 Posts