BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just bought an E34 M5 sight unseen (apart from photos) from another state and now have to wait a week to see what I got. Darn! Posting here because no one else cares about M5s (only one person I know knows what an M5 is).

Hope it lives up to my expectations! I had a Skyline GTR, which was a great car, but it was 2 doors short of requirements. One of the most impressive cars I came across in the GTR was an E39 M5, which could pretty much stick with the GTR once rolling. Not expecting quite that much from the E34, but looking forward to the same straight six smoothness as the Nissan.

One question for any Oz M5 experts out there - I have read there were only 45 E34 M5s imported to Oz by BMW and they were all 3.6s - is that true? Just interested.

Too bad they never brought the Touring here - that'd be the ducks guts for me.

Anyway, gidday to all, and you'll probably hear more from me over time!:byebye:

·
Registered
295 Posts
bremith said:
I've just bought an E34 M5 sight unseen (apart from photos) from another state and now have to wait a week to see what I got. Darn! Posting here because no one else cares about M5s (only one person I know knows what an M5 is).

Hope it lives up to my expectations! I had a Skyline GTR, which was a great car, but it was 2 doors short of requirements. One of the most impressive cars I came across in the GTR was an E39 M5, which could pretty much stick with the GTR once rolling. Not expecting quite that much from the E34, but looking forward to the same straight six smoothness as the Nissan.

One question for any Oz M5 experts out there - I have read there were only 45 E34 M5s imported to Oz by BMW and they were all 3.6s - is that true? Just interested.

Hello and welcome. The M5 australia got was the 3.6 litre sedan only. We got 45 in total. If you are worried about your M5 being purchased sight unseen, I got mine from Japan sight unseen and then had to convert it to RHD. You will be suprised at what the E34 M5 can stick with

I am also in Brisbane. I recommend Simon at RX Automotive, Coopers Plains, for all your mechanical needs. he is a very knowledgeable man when it comes to these motorcars. He recently rebuilt my motor.

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
400 Posts
bremith said:

The number varies from 45 to about 75 that were imported by BMW, however there is 1 3.8 6 speed in white that was imported in late 1993 as an evaluation vehicle but it was deemed too expensive and the Aussies got the 540iLE instead. You will love your new car, I have had mine for 5 years and still love the sound of the strait six.

BobZ

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
hi Bremith

welcome to the board sir.

Does anyone know why Oz only got the 3.6's - is it the same story as the US?

This board will truly amaze you, I have learnt a buket load since joining.

Anyway gidday sport! (I just had to say it!)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Jahangeer said:
hi Bremith

welcome to the board sir.

Does anyone know why Oz only got the 3.6's - is it the same story as the US?

This board will truly amaze you, I have learnt a buket load since joining.

Anyway gidday sport! (I just had to say it!)
As Bob stated, it was a matter of cost. They decided to go with the 540iLE instead. Its a shame really.

Also it's not written gidday, its written g'day. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
The only 3.8 was used by the local BMW head honcho, apparently. I have some of the initial advertising stating that they would be brought in if ordered. I hear that the 3.8 was recently for sale, but luckily I didn't hear about it till after it was gone, so I didn't have to sell one of the children!

Anybody want to buy a blonde? There is a E39 M5 in the paper with 96000km on it for $96000. Have to get it now, as the price will go up when he puts more kms on it:1:

·
Registered
43 Posts
OZ///M5 said:
You probably wouldn't want her anyway! She just wrote off her mother's 318iSgrrrrrrr

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I heard the same thing about the 3.8 being for the MD of BMW AU at the time ... but I did not know that it was for sale... I would have bought it in a heartbeat.. does anyone know what state it is in and what it sold for?

currently have a subaru liberty B4 whose lease finishes in 2 months. Been looking around melb for an E39 M5... 'hopefully' found one that was going to be traded on an E60. I am going to be VERY poor for the next 5 years but hey .. its a love ;)

·
Registered
400 Posts
aaronmiles said:
I heard the same thing about the 3.8 being for the MD of BMW AU at the time ... but I did not know that it was for sale... I would have bought it in a heartbeat.. does anyone know what state it is in and what it sold for?
Last time I heard the car was in Bendigo Victoria and already had 200KM on it, the car was used for a magazine write up in Wheels or Motor and then was sold after about 12 months of BMW ownership.

In my case I am on the lookout for either a E39 M5 or a E46 M3 to replace my E36 M3 and I am hoping that the E60 M5 starts to be delivered soon as my lease runs out in Sep this year.

Also E39 M5 with those kind of Km as mentioned before are getting wholesaled for $80K in melbourne?????????

BobZ

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
bobz said:
Last time I heard the car was in Bendigo Victoria and already had 200KM on it, the car was used for a magazine write up in Wheels or Motor and then was sold after about 12 months of BMW ownership.

In my case I am on the lookout for either a E39 M5 or a E46 M3 to replace my E36 M3 and I am hoping that the E60 M5 starts to be delivered soon as my lease runs out in Sep this year.

Also E39 M5 with those kind of Km as mentioned before are getting wholesaled for $80K in melbourne?????????

BobZ
Hey bob,

I think you and I need to stay in contact. I'm in the same situation as you .... I'll be looking for an E39 M5 at the same time .. once E60 deiveries start I am hoping that I will find one for about the 80k... I can 'just' afford that but not the 95k that they are sitting at. I see that the ones on drive.com.au / carsales.com.au are still in the high 90's for a 1999 model.

I am trying to get in contact with people who are trading in theirs for the E60, I am talking to one really nice chap in town who is trading his car for an E60 in september, so come that time I'll get his car checked over by my mate who works for a BMW franchise dealer and given that is ok I'll snap it up (or at least that is the plan).... I was thinking of ringing around the dealers when the time comes and see if they had any coming in and see what they would be willing to part with them for.

certainly interesting times ahead ;)

Cheers,
Aaron

·
Registered
295 Posts
Also consider getting in touch with the BMW Car Club of Victoria as some members may be trading there E39's in when the E60 arrives. They normally advertise through their website or at meetings etc.

I know an E46 M3 was traded up here in Brisbane for a new 545i and he was given $74000 for a trade. Not an E39 M5, but it certainly shows that the ///M cars are being traded cheaply.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
OZ///M5 said:
Also consider getting in touch with the BMW Car Club of Victoria as some members may be trading there E39's in when the E60 arrives. They normally advertise through their website or at meetings etc.

I know an E46 M3 was traded up here in Brisbane for a new 545i and he was given $74000 for a trade. Not an E39 M5, but it certainly shows that the ///M cars are being traded cheaply.

Interesting .... you would have thought though being club members they would be aware what they are being advertised for rather than trading them for such low figures?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Being aware of what they are being traded for doesnt help when it comes to squeezing the $$$ from a stealer.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
OZ///M5 said:
Being aware of what they are being traded for doesnt help when it comes to squeezing the $$$ from a stealer.
True... I meant if you knew what they were being traded for and what they were being advertised for private sale then you may take the private sale route? I mean sure not all of them would be selling but if you're going to accept 74k and you know that the cheapest one on drive.com.au is 98k for example, you could safely advertise for 85k even and get it pretty easily I would have thought?

Not that I am complaining of course as I am all for getting one for this price as I cannot afford the 100 they are going roughly for at the moment

·
Registered
295 Posts
I agree. I think with some work and a few negotiating skills a 2001/02 M5 could be had for around $90000. Particularly with the new M5 arriving shortly. My plan is to hold out until the New 5.0l V8 M3 arrives in 2007 and grab an E46 M3 on the cheap. I think they will be around the <$70000 by that time.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
OZ///M5 said:
I agree. I think with some work and a few negotiating skills a 2001/02 M5 could be had for around $90000. Particularly with the new M5 arriving shortly. My plan is to hold out until the New 5.0l V8 M3 arrives in 2007 and grab an E46 M3 on the cheap. I think they will be around the <$70000 by that time.

Negotiating with who? I'd love a 01/02 model but 1) I cannot wait that long and 2) the only models that are going to be in my price range will be the pre-update models, but I am not that worried. If I come across some gear like angel eyes and updated NAV computer then I'll pick them up.

·
Registered
400 Posts
In my case I have a dealer looking for one for me and because I look for high KM examples due to doing about 30KM per annum, they normaly wholesale those cars anyway, and I also have a good relationship with the service dept of the same dealership they will tell me if the car has been looked after or not. I am after the 99/00 model maybe even look for one that has head the engine rebuilt after exesive oil consumption, as there a few of them about, or I will be on the look out for an E46 as they have suffered due to the E90 coming out already and when the coupe comes out they will drop again. Over the last 3 months they have dropped about $20K as the 4 year lease comes up and it's time to trade up.
Also in my personal opinion, the E39 M4 is a very hard car to sell privately as most people want the BMW warranty just in case something goes wrong.

BobZ

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
bobz said:
In my case I have a dealer looking for one for me and because I look for high KM examples due to doing about 30KM per annum, they normaly wholesale those cars anyway, and I also have a good relationship with the service dept of the same dealership they will tell me if the car has been looked after or not. I am after the 99/00 model maybe even look for one that has head the engine rebuilt after exesive oil consumption, as there a few of them about, or I will be on the look out for an E46 as they have suffered due to the E90 coming out already and when the coupe comes out they will drop again. Over the last 3 months they have dropped about $20K as the 4 year lease comes up and it's time to trade up.
Also in my personal opinion, the E39 M4 is a very hard car to sell privately as most people want the BMW warranty just in case something goes wrong.

BobZ

I have a good friend of mine who works for a BMW stealer in the service department so thats good he'll keep an eye out for me. would be nice to find one that has had a new engine. Since my mate is a BMW tech im not to worried about warranty as I am being realistic at what I can afford.

Its the waiting that is getting to me :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts