BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here you go for sharing. Finally got a chance to finish this project and shoot some videos for sharing.

Components:

Video Interface Module from ModMyNav.
Pioneer ND-BC4 universal rear view camera.
Alpine HCE-C105 Back up camera
mObridge iPod interface.

Integration complete. See YouTube video below.

Good story for sharing today:
I stopped by local mom and pop store to buy some boiled peanuts.
A good looking lady walked up to my beast and said "Oh my God, what a beautiful car! Is this yours?"
I said Yes. She said "I dont think I've ever seen one. There's not very many of this, what is it?"

I said It's an M6. She said "It is so beautiful!"
She asked "What do you do for a living?" I said "I sell toothpicks." She just smiled.

She asked "Are you married?" I said Yep.
She said That's too bad as I would hook up with you.
I thought I better leave before I get in trouble. She was pretty with nice chest : )

Anyway, here's the video link: Try to watch it in high resolution 420p or 720p.
Video is only 3 minutes long.

YouTube - ‪BMW M6 Audio Video Integration Complete‬‏

·
Registered
165 Posts
nice video as usual Dan. I want to do my rear view camera mod from MODMYNAV as well, just afriad of wiring and opening central console stuffs... And also, what is the mObridage interface like, any difference from OE IPOD interface?

·
Registered
48 Posts
yea could you give a little feedback on how long this install took you/ what is required of it - modmynav.com says to contact them for DIY instructions

·
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.

Search feature is always your friend on this board.

If you want to install an audio video integration module to your beast - ModMyNav is the best way to go as it is plug and play.
When you buy from them they will provide you complete step by step instructions on how to install it.

I bought mine from eBay and it was not plug and play and took we two full weekends to hook everything up.
I dont recommend this route. Go plug and play as much as you can.

I have now removed my DVD player and just use my iPod video to play movies and videos

Here's my DIY post: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e63-bmw-m6-forum-bmw-m6-convertible-m6board-com/152023-my-dvd-player-mod.html#post1749643

Re" mObridge - It is much better than original BMW iPod interface because it is a faster interface and all connections is via fiber optic.

mObridge | Bridging media, communication, and lifestyle with your vehicle.

MOST iPod, Aux | mObridge

nice video as usual Dan. I want to do my rear view camera mod from MODMYNAV as well, just afriad of wiring and opening central console stuffs... And also, what is the mObridage interface like, any difference from OE IPOD interface?

·
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's my DIY post again.

Install took me 2 full weekends to complete. It is not easy.

Basics in life: If we have the money - pay someone to go do it and make sure the shop does an excellent job as our beasts deserve the best craftmanship.

If we dont have the money or we like to do our own work like I do - we need to learn how to do it ourselves.
If we damage something or break something during the process - so be it. That's how we all learn, we make mistakes along the way.

Video Interface Module Mod DIY:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e63-bmw-m6-forum-bmw-m6-convertible-m6board-com/152023-my-dvd-player-mod.html#post1749643

Re: back up camera, here's my DIY post: This mod took me one full weekend to do.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e63-bmw-m6-forum-bmw-m6-convertible-m6board-com/156651-my-back-up-camera-mod-sharing.html

Laser Jammer DIY Post: THis mod took me another full weekend to complete.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e63-bmw-m6-forum-bmw-m6-convertible-m6board-com/154711-laser-jammer-installation.html

yea could you give a little feedback on how long this install took you/ what is required of it - modmynav.com says to contact them for DIY instructions

·
Super Moderator
4,827 Posts
Hi Dan. I do miss these kinds of impressive posts from you on the e39 forum. Can I ask why the front/rear facing video images seem out of sync with your drive? Is your goal for these cameras simply safety during parking situations, or perhaps to record a la GoPro Hero cam?

·
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi there Chowdah. Thanks for the kind words.

Yes, my main purpose for the rear view camera and forward looking camera mod (besides the cool factor : ) is so that when I am parking my beast - I no longer have to guess how close I am to the parking curb. I no longer have to worry about scraping my front bumper on those stupid parking bump stops (yes I have done that already in the past, scraped my front bumper and I was upset with myself for parking too close) nor worry about how far I am from the wall when backing up to park properly.

And when I am parking on the side of the street - I can switch forward and rear view to determine if my car is centered by looking at the white parking lines front and back.

FYI - I always park my car properly. One of my pet peeves is seeing people park their cars crooked or off center or too far away from the curb.
Basics in my opinion of a good driver is parking our beast always properly.

I forgot to add a photo of my mod. I have a video input switch that I press to manually switch to which video input I would like to display on the monitor. Hope that makes sense. Thanks again for the kind compliments.

Hi Dan. I do miss these kinds of impressive posts from you on the e39 forum. Can I ask why the front/rear facing video images seem out of sync with your drive? Is your goal for these cameras simply safety during parking situations, or perhaps to record a la GoPro Hero cam?

·
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Video input switch

Here you go. Sorry I forgot to add this info.

I can feed whatever video I want to the Nav display monitor by pushing this video input switch I mounted right beside the engine start button.

I can also switch video inputs by pressing the iDrive knob by more than 1 second. It will cycle through all available video input.

(Video input 1 = fwd camera. Video Input 2 = rear view camera, Video input 3 = iPod Video. Back up Camera switches on automatically when car is placed in Reverse.)

I can also switch video display from wide screen to normal size by pushing and immediately releasing the iDrive knob.

Attachments

·
Registered
449 Posts
Love that view on the front camera whilst driving! Great job Dan

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Thanks for the video Dan, always a pleasure to see your DIY projects. I enjoyed hearing your Tubi again. I told my wife, "listen to this". She said "It sounds like your car", I said "No, it's the same but so much better".

I think your lady friend mentioned in your first post wanted to see your toothpick (well it sounds bad that way, how about she wanted to see your wood). mmmmmm

·
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think that's what she wants too. If I was single - no problem, I would hook up with her as she was pretty with nice front bumpers.
My wife said I should behave always : )

Thanks for the video Dan, always a pleasure to see your DIY projects.

I think your lady friend mentioned in your first post wanted to see your toothpick (well it sounds bad that way, how about she wanted to see your wood). mmmmmm

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Dan,

What an amazing job! Your skills are unbelievable! Thanks for sharing!!

Your Friend,
Milton

1 - 20 of 21 Posts