BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With over a foot of snow here in the past 24 hours, ive had nothing to do but cruise the board for insight on a few subjects.
Is there anyone in here who has upgraded their audio system and retained the stock head unit/nav. More specific, has anyone done a full speaker upgrade like from bavarian soundworks or a mixture of other components?. Im looking to add a little more clarity for the highs and mids, and a bit more punch for bass. my car has the M-audio option and with the adjustments possible via DSP, it deffinitely sounds better than my old 540's stock setup did. Im not lookikn to add bone rattling equiptment. There is just a bit more desired.:dunno:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I did the exact same thing in my car and it sounds awesome, like a whole new sound system
I did Polk audio components in the front doors and I also moved the stock midrange in the unused spot on the door panel right next to the vent, in the rear panel I just used the Polk audio 1" tweeters,
remember there are no tweeters in the rear door panels
now the sound is more dynamic and it has more clarity Im very satisfied with this set up

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I have the Bavarian Soundwerks Stage 1 kit installed (Rainbows). Sounds much better than stock (I even had the M Audio option). It is a good upgrade and a good value.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I went with a full set of BSW speakers and their sub and couldn't be happier. It's absolutely worth the dough and I got exactly what I was looking for out of a system which was the same requirements as you have.

I also went with the Intravee iPod unit after horrible issues with the Dice. Skip the Dice altogether if you're going the iPod route.

It's a good way to learn your way around the interior parts, too. While I got some help with the sub part from a board member ( thanks again Mish!!) you'll have an opportunity to take all KINDS of things apart and tighten things up, get rid of rattles, etc.

Good luck!

Eric

·
Registered
543 Posts
Wild Turkey sighting! Literally. One is walking down my street at the moment.

This snow sucks. A bit less and I would have had the M3 out :)

Seems as though ppl have had very good luck with the system from BSW. I ordered it for my M3, and now am exchanging it to put in the M5.

Turkey pic included.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Nope - never done one :)

There are many options available to you, including the fine suggestions already listed.

You need to decide how much you want to replace. Changing the speakers can help "brighten" the image, but I'd suggest you listen to speakers personally before buying since everyone hears differently (meaning that what I like might not sound good to you). Almost any 5.25" component set will fit in the vehicle just fine, including BSW (which are really Rainbows), MBQuarts, Polks, Boston Acoustic, etc.

The "headunit" in our cars is just a monitor - it doesn't do anything. The radio tuner, cd changer, and amp are all in the left rear of your trunk.

d-

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Did you guys get the IQ Line option? How does it compare to the non-IQ?

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have IQ in the front and non-IQ in the rear deck. I would recommend it, the non-IQs are not as clear although they are perfect for rear-fill.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
BSW has transformed my sound system

Hi all,
Just thought I would chime in here. About 6 months ago, did the "full meal deal" from BSW and replaced the components on my beast. Prior to the replacement, I had the M-audio with twin 10 inch subs. The system wasn't all that bad, but left a bit to be desired as far as imaging, and especially bass. I found the stock subs were very "muddy" and indistinct.

I had some nice interaction with Halston from BSW on this board. (their customer service is amazing!) I told him what I was looking for and he suggested I add the BSW Subwoofer along with the IQ line speakers.

I did the install myself....which I would highly recommend if you have the interest. Took ME about 6 hours (an experienced installer might be able to do it much faster) mainly because I have not really done any car audio work before. I agree with the above poster, that it does give you a good chance to see what is behind the door panels, rear deck, etc. The instructions are very clear and an experienced installer from BSW is always available by phone.

As far as quality. BSW sent me Rainbow speakers (IQ line for the fronts), which are well respected in the car audio world for quality and value. The sub and enclosure is top-notch construction, the sub purchase includes a very nice PunchEQ amplifier from Rockford Fosgate.

The sound is dramatically better given the price point. It is generally not practical to replace the headunit in these vehicles because of the involvement it has in other systems. It could be done, but the price would not justify the improvement. It is also generally felt that the headunit and amplifier on the stock system are reasonable quality, just the speakers are garbage.

I have no doubts that a true audio buff can put together a system that sounds (to him/her) "better" for the same price. This would take a lot of legwork...listening to different speaker combinations, sonically matching components, etc. I personally, do not have the time or experience )or interest) to do this. The folks at BSW have done a good job doing this legwork for you.

I have no relationship to BSW other than as a happy customer, but I would highly recommend this upgrade...it is money well spent IMHO.

Good Luck with your choice

Brian

PS- To answer you question about the IQ line....is is, I believe, about $150 more. They are a slightly higher quality speaker for the fronts. Supposedly a bit better clarity and imaging...probably more suited to a car with M-Audio and DSP to take advantage of this clarity.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Nice post. I have DSP on my 2000 car, so no M-Audio for me. So are you saying that I wouldnt notice much difference between the IQ line and the non IQ?

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
It seems unlikely any of us with the BSW system will have A/B compared the IQ vs. the non-IQ Rainbows but I can say that they are advertised as having a brighter sound, and to me, they could be even brighter, so I definitely would not want the non-IQ speakers. I didn't know about the BSW subwoofer kit (or maybe they weren't out yet), and may do that some day.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have the BSW Stage I kit w/ IQ Line and couldn't be happier. The install itself was very straightforward and don't be scared about the rear deck speakers - those took me less time than the doors (about 15 minutes to get the rear disassembled and the speakers out of their plastic molded boxes).

Now, today I'm going to give the sub woofer installation a go assuming it doesn't start raining in the next few hours..

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
It seems unlikely any of us with the BSW system will have A/B compared the IQ vs. the non-IQ Rainbows but I can say that they are advertised as having a brighter sound, and to me, they could be even brighter, so I definitely would not want the non-IQ speakers. I didn't know about the BSW subwoofer kit (or maybe they weren't out yet), and may do that some day.
I agree. I also felt that if I did not do the higher end speakers for an additional $130 or so, I would regret it after the fact (this is just how I am!) After all, we're talking about the price of about two tanks of gas for the Beast.

Go for the Sub...you will not believe the difference!

Cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
After all, we're talking about the price of about two tanks of gas for the Beast.
Oh you son of a..... that's the WORST way of rationalizing prices for mods. My wallet has a new nickname for you: Jenny Craig

Now that's an assload of tanks of gas, at 800 bucks!

·
Registered
377 Posts
I agree. I also felt that if I did not do the higher end speakers for an additional $130 or so, I would regret it after the fact (this is just how I am!)
+1

I learned it is better to just buy what you want and be happy than to buy something less and keep wondering why you just didn't go ahead and buy the better to begin with.

I just got my sub installed today. It is really amazing how much better it makes the music. I just need to spend some additional time tuning the settings. You'll probably want to block off a good 4 hours to install it if you are doing it alone. The sub is not easy to position by yourself.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
+1

I just got my sub installed today. It is really amazing how much better it makes the music. I just need to spend some additional time tuning the settings. You'll probably want to block off a good 4 hours to install it if you are doing it alone. The sub is not easy to position by yourself.
Cool.
Be patient with the sub adjustments. Make small changes at a time and give yourself some time to evaluate them. Since I did not get the remote bass control, it took me a while to find a happy medium between perfect sound on high quality source (CD, IPOD) and a bit much bass on crappy signal (radio). Once I found the sweet spot for my ears, I have not touched the gain or crossover in a couple of months.

Out of curiosity, are they still sending the Rockford Fosgate amp?

Brian

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I'm going to try and go for the Doug Baker approach and kill my DSP and replace with a better amp. Question for Doug--when you delete the DSP and order a Dice system, you can hook that straight up through the analog port since the digital line is deleted when you remove DSP?

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
I'm going to try and go for the Doug Baker approach and kill my DSP and replace with a better amp. Question for Doug--when you delete the DSP and order a Dice system, you can hook that straight up through the analog port since the digital line is deleted when you remove DSP?
Yes - In my blog you'll find the part number for the analog CD -> Radio cable. You'll use this cable to attach your DICE instead of the existing digital coax you have now...

d-

·
Registered
377 Posts
Cool.
Be patient with the sub adjustments. Make small changes at a time and give yourself some time to evaluate them. Since I did not get the remote bass control, it took me a while to find a happy medium between perfect sound on high quality source (CD, IPOD) and a bit much bass on crappy signal (radio). Once I found the sweet spot for my ears, I have not touched the gain or crossover in a couple of months.
Yeah, I'm going to take my time on the adjustments. It was raining by the time I got everything installed and wired up nicely so I gave it the make sure everything works and the settings aren't set to MAX test.

Out of curiosity, are they still sending the Rockford Fosgate amp?
Yes, they are still using the Punch 200-2 amp. Not my first choice, but it seems to do a good job. Of course, if I were to pick my amp I'd probably be ripping the stock audio system out and redoing everything... I have a habit of not leaving good enough alone if I'm adding or changing something.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts