BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just for information, I raced today (I have E39 M5) with the new Audi RS4 (380 HP, biturbo, special Cosworth engine), what a beast !
This Audi is surely the more powerful Audi ; he beats me of more than 1-2 cars lenghts in 0-160 kph runs.
And...I have an optimized engine (430 HP instead of 400).

I drove it too, it's amazing how it's completely different of the M5, it feels more sporty, it's smaller. But i prefer the M5 feeling ! And the interior is much more better done in the M5 (the Audi has almost all the M5 options, nav, TV, etc, and is 15000 USD less expensive in official prices here in Europe). The Audi RS4 is still an A4.

Note that I talked to my engineer who optimized my engine and he said that when Audi customers want better suspensions, they have to change all the system (even with the RS4), but with the M5 there is nothing to change !
I've never had a car as the M5, with which you discover (not immediately) that all is almost technically perfect : nothing to change, it's so well done !!

Of course when you compare the engines, the Audi is only a 2.7 l ; it's easy to put big turbos on an engine ! The 5 L engine of the M5 is a masterpiece much more impressive than the 2.7l

Just my thoughts, because I thought that Audi was going to be better than BMW, and i see today how it's still far away from BMW.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Does anyone know how to get a new RS4 to North America? Anyone ever try importing one of these? More trouble than it's worth I'm guessing as none of the dealers would even know how to service it.

Still, if I had my choice in a production wagon, that would be it. Everything you said about it is true, but for people who have to deal with snow and ice, I'd rather be in the RS4.

Now if there was some way I could afford both an M3 and an RS4... hmmmm.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
the S8 will be in the US by february. I thought about holding off, b/c even thos it's only 360hp, it's got quattro, so it STICKS to the road. and Audi's are truly amazing cars. I just didn't have the patience, and hey, 400hp works fine for me :)

the RS8 is going to be a bloody W12 putting out 550 hp (lamboughini numbers). GOOD GOD. unfortunately, word on the street is that Audi has no plans on exporting the RS line to the US. S, yes.

--Dan

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have only had BMW's all my life so could someone please tell me the difference between the Audi RS cars of Europe and the Audi S cars in the US!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Greyzzz,
Tom had already stated, RS4 = 380HP and our North America S4 = 250HP. It's just about 60% more
Mind you, S4 is also available in Europe, it's just RS4 is not available in North America.

Mr. Grinch,
At one point of time, I was contemplating on getting a Z1 into Canada. Had a friend who had gone through the trouble. Apparently, aside from the big bucks, they will hold your car for a VERY long time (my friend had waited 1/2 a year) before they release the car to you. By then, I think the A4 would have already change style

However, Z1 is actually the good old 325i engine and that could be why he was successful in importing that into North America. RS4 is a completely different beast than the S4 and you might have to bear the cost of all emission tests and whatsoever before they would declare the RS4 as street legal.
At one other point of time, I was considering the Lotus 340R (definitely NOT street legal, but would be fun on the track) and Lotus Canada's response was "WE WON'T EVEN DO IT FOR YOU!!!". Bunch of f**kers!

·
Registered
87 Posts
To import those beasts will require alot of time/$$ to get them pass emission. HOWEVER, I have seen RS2(prodecessor of RS4. RS cars are ALWAY wagons)with BC license plate running around in Vancouver area, therefore, it will be just matter of time we see one or two(or even more) of RS4s get into private collectors' hands.

Also, Euro S4s have higher HP/Torque. Canadian/US S4s are rated at 250hp/256lb-ft. Euro S4s put out 265hp/295lb-ft. With simple chip tweak, both US and Euro S4s can pump out 306hp/365lb-ft without any other mods to the engine/tranny.

Very capable car indeed, but interior space is a real thumbs down.

Andy Kuo

------------------
ICQ# 26950002
Mercedes S-Class Page
http://akry.homestead.com

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
A friend of mine, his dad has a Chevy / Lotus dealership here and he showed me both of their puppies: a 340R and the Elise 111S. VERY SWEET.

For those in the Bay Area: boardwalk motors off of 101 and whipple just after century park 12.

--Dan

·
Registered
92 Posts
I recently saw a pic of the new S8 in some magazine. The car looked Beutiful just a bit too big to look sporty!

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
It is not a secret that Ferdinand Piech, chairman of the VAG group, wants an RS model of every Audi model. So an RS6 and RS8 would possible, but this will take time since quattro GMBH cannot devellop these cars at the same time.

The RS4 is simply the successor of the RS2, a real beast, made and develloped by Porsche. This will make the RS2 a very unique car and collectible, like the E28 ///M5. In Holland you can get them for hfl 57000 and hfl 70000,-.

With best regards,

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
As for the S8 being too big to be sporting - for myself I more or less agree, but for the market at large, the only US-made GM passenger car of the last 20 years that anyone gives a damn about (Corvette aside) is the Impala SS, pickup truck suspension and all.

I'm sure BMW could sell a few M7s. 480HP V12...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts