BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Auction for US #1 Allocation for $5k + MSRP

1120 9
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,192 Posts
It's too bad that it is common place to buy yourself a spot in line for these. If I was smart and wanted to make some money I should have negotiated for spot 1 on all of the Phoenix area dealers, and then sold them. But something tells me if I did that I would have a hard time sleeping at night. At least this guy has a valid reason, unlike a lot of the other ones I have seen on eBay.
:cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,090 Posts
BmwNut said:
It's too bad that it is common place to buy yourself a spot in line for these. If I was smart and wanted to make some money I should have negotiated for spot 1 on all of the Phoenix area dealers, and then sold them. But something tells me if I did that I would have a hard time sleeping at night. At least this guy has a valid reason, unlike a lot of the other ones I have seen on eBay.
:cheers:
I continue to maintain the dealer has a contract with the original buyer, not someone the buyer brings in. The dealer WILL care about selling the first M5 to some unknown "friend" the original buyer brings in. The dealer can, and probably will, say no-deal. The original buyer can purchase the car for the price in his contract, and then do whatever to transfer it to his second buyer, but this is costly and not an easy process in my state, and both the first and second purchaser must pay taxes. The first buyer would also have to pay or finance the car to take possession. The vehicle would have to transferred to the new buyer as a second owner.

If the deal is otherwise, then it will state in the contract / purchase order that it is transferrable. Mine says specifically that the deal is NOT transferrable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,192 Posts
That's awsome Digi, and that's the way I feel the deals should be. Taking extra money from other car guys who feel the need to have the first is wrong. In that sellers case, if the car isnt for you, then get on the list for an M6 and give away your first spot. That would be the classy thing to do IMO.
:cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,819 Posts
Digi said:
I continue to maintain the dealer has a contract with the original buyer, not someone the buyer brings in. The dealer WILL care about selling the first M5 to some unknown "friend" the original buyer brings in. The dealer can, and probably will, say no-deal. The original buyer can purchase the car for the price in his contract, and then do whatever to transfer it to his second buyer, but this is costly and not an easy process in my state, and both the first and second purchaser must pay taxes. The first buyer would also have to pay or finance the car to take possession. The vehicle would have to transferred to the new buyer as a second owner.

If the deal is otherwise, then it will state in the contract / purchase order that it is transferrable. Mine says specifically that the deal is NOT transferrable.

I agree with Digi, this could be a pig in a poke. I'm on a list and know if the dealer wants he can sell my position to anyone they want and I wouldn't even know it. This most likely in not an enforceable contract if it's a contract at all. When I ordered my last BMW M5 I recall the contract was not transferable. I've had clients who wanted me to negotiate for them buying cars and that was the rub.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,819 Posts
Speaking of EBAY: I'm a camera guy and shop ebay and I am astounded at the misinformation they allow on that website. Like the five year lens warranty from Nikon. Sellers of used Nikons routinely claim the lens comes with a five year USA warranty. It does not. That warranty is to original new purchasers only and you must file the coupon within 10 days of purchase to get it. Of those sellers I've challenged, they didn't know it or about the requirement of the 10 day registration so even they did not have the warranty for themselves.

In the case of camera stuff virtually everything is over priced for used stuff amd I usually buy new from ebay retailers or B&H.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,900 Posts
Jim Dolan said:
I agree with Digi, this could be a pig in a poke. I'm on a list and know if the dealer wants he can sell my position to anyone they want and I wouldn't even know it. This most likely in not an enforceable contract if it's a contract at all. When I ordered my last BMW M5 I recall the contract was not transferable. I've had clients who wanted me to negotiate for them buying cars and that was the rub.
Agree completely with both of you. A reputable dealer will simply not allow this type of 'speculation' to come before loyal customers. I don't know what the mechanics of the deal are, but I don't see how a person can be 'guaranteed' a spot in line unless the dealer agrees.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
881 Posts
Wolverine said:
Agree completely with both of you. A reputable dealer will simply not allow this type of 'speculation' to come before loyal customers. I don't know what the mechanics of the deal are, but I don't see how a person can be 'guaranteed' a spot in line unless the dealer agrees.
This all seems a bit silly to me. I could understand people paying a 5K premium IF and only IF the car came badged up or with more extras than normal. OR the dancing girls came out along with the Champagne and in some way they really acknolwedged you were special.


As it is, you'll just get the keys to a car that is the first customer car (note might). As for the first car in the US. You'll find that Chris Bangle or some other MD of BMW US will have already been driving round in one way before official release. Happened here as I saw one on the M40(motorway) a few months back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,672 Posts
Jim Dolan said:
Speaking of EBAY: I'm a camera guy and shop ebay and I am astounded at the misinformation they allow on that website. Like the five year lens warranty from Nikon. Sellers of used Nikons routinely claim the lens comes with a five year USA warranty. It does not. That warranty is to original new purchasers only and you must file the coupon within 10 days of purchase to get it. Of those sellers I've challenged, they didn't know it or about the requirement of the 10 day registration so even they did not have the warranty for themselves.

In the case of camera stuff virtually everything is over priced for used stuff amd I usually buy new from ebay retailers or B&H.
Jim:

Which is currently your favorite Nikon Digi-Cam that you bought New off flea-bay??

I'm in the market for a Nikon Digi. I have several Nikon Film Cams BUT can't make up my mind about this Digi-world ... the New D50 or the D70s. A friend of mine has been twisting my arm to try out the new Canon EOS 20D. My friend says that New Canon is a great camera.

Your thoughts and any recommendations would be gr8 !! :flag:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,819 Posts
gra8fuldd ed said:
Jim:

Which is currently your favorite Nikon Digi-Cam that you bought New off flea-bay??

I'm in the market for a Nikon Digi. I have several Nikon Film Cams BUT can't make up my mind about this Digi-world ... the New D50 or the D70s. A friend of mine has been twisting my arm to try out the new Canon EOS 20D. My friend says that New Canon is a great camera.

Your thoughts and any recommendations would be gr8 !! :flag:
I may be a little advanced: I have the D2x, D100, 200-400 VR G f4, 70-200 VR G f2.8, 80-400 VR f4-5.6, 12-24 G f4, 24-85 F2.8-3.5, Gitzo 1325 tripod with level head, Wimberley Gimbal mount, Markins panning Ball Head arca style quick release plates on both, Manfrotto tri with quick release ball head, SB-80 flash with B Beamer and assorted equipment.

I do Birds....alright you Brit's, the ones with wings.........

The Canon is a great camera. Nikon more durable, Canon somewhat known for better high ISO pictures with less noise. The 20D is common among bird photographers so is the D70s. Either would be great but they are SLRs and need lenses and so forth so depending on your budget a fixed lens camera may be considered. Check Nikon 8400, 8800 and 8700 fixed lens camera's.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/cameras_dig6.html

I buy very little from ebay. Try B&H, Cameta Camera(ebay retailer) Kirk Photo and Really Right Stuff.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top