1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Administrator
8,806 Posts
What happened to that wheel? Was it kerbed at all?

That has got to be one of the most dangerous spot for cracks on a rim. Very difficult to spot unless the wheel is removed from the car.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
while your comment carerra is certainly slightly OT..i will come out and say that yes i do. And the reasoning behind it goes with the many conversations i have had not only with DA but other companies that deal with DA on a supplier and end product basis.

I made sure this was my project and my project means that i make the final decisions on the products, methods and placments for many of the items on my vehicle. Any custom car builder should be a facilitator of your dreams and while they do the actual buildup, research is the key for the buildee. Know what you are getting into before hand (there is always an air of uncertainty with projects---even ones much less complicated than these Sc'd M5s) and know where liability in a project lays.

As i just made a comment or two in another post, i wanted no one to blame about my cars performance except myself..as i had final word on what was going to be done. I know as do alot of people that build custom cars, that there are no warranties, or replacment guarantees given so it is slightly foolish to expect one to be had.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Lets not jump to conclusions here. The real question is, what happened to the wheel to make it crack, if anything?

Travis

·
Registered
947 Posts
i had some schnitzer 3 pieces that went like this in 1 spot. I think the 3 pc design is more fragile than a 1 piece, and whilst some manufacturers are likely to be stronger than others, i dont think this is uncommon in well used splitties...

:(

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
M5Kid said:
Lets not jump to conclusions here. The real question is, what happened to the wheel to make it crack, if anything?

Travis
Just from a quick glance at the one close up pic, those do look like stress induced cracks as opposed to damage induced ones. However, I expected to see pictures of cracking in the center section of the wheels not out on the rim which then led me to think of a possible manufacturing/material process error....dunno...strange location for those types of cracks.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Cracked a ACS Type 3 (one piece) on a pothole.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts