BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Over the next few days we will be implementing some changes to our forum password strength and password expiration policies. To make sure you continue having the best experience possible on the community, we regularly monitor the site and the Internet to keep everyone's account information safe. We've recently become aware of a potential risk to some accounts coming from outside of this community. Just to be safe, we are implementing the following changes to improve security even further:

1) We are asking everyone to change their passwords (and will force a one time reset). Along with every user on the forum, new passwords will need to be more complex, and can't be simple words (sorry, you can't have "fluffy" as your password anymore!). Please use a password unique to this community. Reusing passwords can expose your account indirectly when other websites (Twitter, Linkedin, Badoo, etc) are compromised; and

2) Your passwords will expire on a 365 day basis. When you login on the 366th day, you will have to change it.

We'll also be sending out an email to users to let them know about the changes, in upcoming weeks.

Thanks all,

Helena

Community Management

·
Administrator
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey there,

Yes, and no. The financial data is not linked to this account, it is only on your Paypal accounts. Furthermore, the article fails to mention that the breach was for a third party plugin. This breach is on countless sites across the internet and not just limited to ours. We're just trying to be proactive and help you all to keep up your online security, as with a lot of online users the same email and password are used across most of the platforms they visit daily, making it fairly easy to crack in to those more important accounts.

Thanks,
Dayle

·
Registered
218 Posts
So the fact that this security breach on your end that had nothing to do with our passwords (Strength, complexity or otherwise) somehow makes it necessary for us to have passwords more complicated than I need for my bank, and that will expire yearly?

This is a car fan site, right?

And even if we use a super complex password just for this site, it will do exactly nothing to prevent you from being externally breached (again).

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hey gents, i had to make a new username as my old username (1stoutm) was attached to an old email address that i dont have access to. Is there any way to recover my old username and attach it to my current email account and reset the password?
new email is ****

thanks guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts