BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See attached photo. Are any 6 series convertible owners experiencing the same issue? BMW is saying it's not covered under warranty and caused by an outside influence.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Had similar issue on my 2007. You need to use some plastic regeneration stuff or the trim re-generator stuff. It will generally get it out. You might be able to claim it under your insurances comprehensive??? Haven't tried to ask about that but maybe. I doubt BMW would cover it since it definitely isn't a manufacturer default like steering wheel peeling, etc.

I used black magic at least once a week on it and it was almost unnoticeable after a while.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 2007 M6 has this problem. Havent found a solution yet. Working with BMW of Fairfax and the BMW NA tech next week. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
615 Posts
My vert always has a noticeable very dry line in the plastic at the seal point. I use back to black also and it helps quite a bit. Mine has NEVER looked that bad! But I pretty much apply plastic lubricant at least every couple of weeks. Despite that it dries out pretty quickly. Good luck, did you have the top up for a very long time?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I use Mequiars Trim Care and only can see the mark at certain angles. A little elbow grease and some sort of trim cleaner/restorer should solve the problem.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Try rubbing gently with a wet Mr. Clean eraser. These are one of my favourite tools for getting scuffs (especially shoe marks) out of the interior plastic trim. Go easy at first to see if it makes any marks. If okay, then go a little harder. Good Luck!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The BMW field engineer has ruled that the stain is from outside influence, so they wont cover it under warranty... :(
I've asked to speak to him directly about it. My theory is that the gaskets on the bottom of the convertible turn white over time (like most black rubber gaskets do) and transfer to the trunk lid.

Any other thoughts or suggestions is greatly appreciated. I will try the suggestions....

Very frustrating that I can detail the car to make it look awesome...except for this...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts