BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could really use your help.

I am looking for some one who is mechanically inclined for what I am about to ask.

I need someone to take a photo of a plug for me that is located under your dash board on the drivers side. I have been trying for a solid week to figure out how to fix the 08 M5 I recently purchased and I have tried every resource I have available to me to no avail.

The last thing I can think of to shed some light on my delemma, is to have a fellow member willing to spend the time to take this photo and get it over to me for comparison. The only thing that I do know for sure is that I believe i can only get this photo from an 08. My car is a production of 11/07 so if someone has that same month and year combination, the chances that it will match to mine is very likely.

Please I beg of you, someone out there I need your help. Please email me at Paul.G.Scott.Jr at Gmail dot com

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Hi, I am willing to help you out depending on how deep under the dash this plug is. One issue however is that my car is in the dealership right now getting a battery issue diagnosed. I'm not quite sure yet when I will get it back. But if I get my car back before anyone else responds to your thread, I will help out. I have a 6/2007 production 2008 so should be the same as yours.

Note I've been under the dash (under the steering wheel in the driver's side foot well area) to route the cabling for my hardwired radar detector so if it's in that area, I should have no problem taking the photo.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hi I have 2008 but I think my build date is 07/07 let me know that helps

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a 08 with 07/07 build date as well, I am just not sure which plug you are talking about.

·
Registered
591 Posts
It would help greatly if you could post a pic of the plug or the location the plug should be so us fellow 08 owners could have a place to start...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Everyone,

Thank you all so much for being willing to help me! I was vague originally, because I figured finding someone to help would be the challenge!
Onto the Challenge!

The plug is question is for the Light Control Module. It is located on the Left A Pillar. To reach it you need to remove the panel above the gas and break pedal. This is very easy, a few small bolts and it drops out. You will have to unplug a small light in that panel as well to get it out of the way. Once removed, The Light Control Module is bolted to the A Pillar near where the Harness goes through for the drivers Door. This module has a large white connector. 76 pins to be exact. To remove the connector, you will need to push the release tab in at the top with a finger nail and swing the lever. The connector will lift out at this point. When looking at the connector, you will see that inside of it, there are 2 receptacles. A Blue and a Brown. They slide out of the white housing.

Specifically what i need is a clean picture of the blue connector. Showing me the colors and locations of the wiring entering into it.

The problem I have is this: My light module melted badly. So I had to replace the Connector and Module. I got 95% of it done and then got to the end of the blue plug and it was so badly melted that I could not distinguish where the pins are supposed to go anymore.

All the schematics I have found, do not show the same color wires that I have. Hence why I am hoping someone with the same car may be able to shed some light.

I have an 08 7 Spd SMG, non HUD, W/ Adaptive Headlamps. I know that these options affect this module and its pin layout and color combo as well.

Thanks to everyone thus far!

-Paul

·
Registered
591 Posts
I've got a 6 speed manual, plus I just dropped off the car at the dealer for some repairs, so good luck finding someone and I hope all goes well. On a side note, why didn't the dealership cover this under the factory service and maintenance plan?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I have a 2008 model.
I may be able to help you if you give me more details on what it is that you want to be shown.
Perhaps YOU post a photo of what you are trying to fix and I can try to capture the same image!
You have so many views but little replies because your thread title is not clear! You can modify the thread title by clicking "Go Advanced" when you are editing the thread within 24 hours.
Give me more details on your request along with a picture of subject area, and I will try to capture the right image for you tonight when I get home. (My M5 is at home since I do't drive it everyday.)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Above are photos that should help everyone to understand what I am looking for.

The 1st photo is showing the lighting control module and the large 76 pin plug that I am talking about. Once that plug is removed, the white covering is easily removed revealing a blue connector and a brown connector. I have pictured the blue one below. Mine has a few additional wires that I need to find the location of. So please take pics of your blue connector, both sides specifically pins 16-21 and 33-38 thank you!

-Paul

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
YOU take the pictures and POST them....I will be happy to answer your question....the ball is in YOUR court....

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I can't see the pictures! It seems like some sort of error or looks like the pictures have been removed! Re-post them!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
YOU take the pictures and POST them....I will be happy to answer your question....the ball is in YOUR court....

Well, I now see that every forum these guys :grrrrr: , even the ones where the members have a car that costs 6 figures new.

One would think that you would run into far less of that on a forum such as this.

RE: Posting Pictures

They are above, if you have an email address that you would like me to send them to, I will, however, they show up for me fine.

-Paul

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Wow, that's strange, I am able to view them on every computer in my home, as well as my I phone on 3g 20 min from home.
I Changed the hosting site, and made the images smaller. Let me know if you guys can view them now. Thanks!!

-Paul

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not that this is anyone's problem but my own, but can someone please help me. My car has not been able to be started for almost 2 weeks :(

-Paul

1 - 20 of 28 Posts