BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

621 - 640 of 980 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
whoa: just realized: an episode with NO pics!!!
Not just an episode without pics but possibly your first post EVER without pics.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #625
episode 12: really short review, and a long featurette :)

straight to business here...

the jack review said:
1. mod - ///M Door Sill Strip
2. bmw part numbers (main ones) - 51-13-2-695-681/2 (one left, and 1 right)
3. price and labor (if it's easily figured out ) - $32 each
4. the obligatory pic (or 2 or 3)
the doc removing the old piece (plain black)

and new one on...

up close...

5. review/complaints - it was a really easy removal and install. for a bit of trivia, this was the FIRST mod that doctor tyrone did on the car. the date, mar 5, 2006, about 2 or 3 in the afternoon. FIRST time i meet him, too. more on him in his OWN episode. mini-series?? or more like a full season!!!

a lot of thought went into the ///m badge/emblem related retrofits. fortunately, having owned a real ///m car (e46 m3), i pretty much knew what was perfectly acceptable, what was taboo, what might be ludicrous, and what would be outrightly deserving of permanent censure.

since the car came as a factory m-sport vehicle, i did not see any controversy in swapping out the plain black ones for these euro pieces sporting the ///mblem. (of course, i make that distinction between the //m and the ///m5 badge.)

despite the bright colors up close, because of its size, as you can see from the above pic, it is a rather subtle addition. it doesnt call attention to itself - but the sharp and knowledgeable eye would pick it up.

6. as a mod, was it worth it? - yes, love the very understated announcement. :M5thumbs::M5thumbs::M5thumbs::M5thumbs::M5thumbs:
7. from a money spent perspective, was it a good bang for the buck? - absolutely. one of the few truly inexpensive mods! :M5thumbs::M5thumbs::M5thumbs::M5thumbs::M5thumbs:
8. would i do it again? - YES.
9. overall rating: - :M5thumbs::M5thumbs::M5thumbs::M5thumbs::M5thumbs:
-------------

and now, for our featurette. for once, i won't say much. i'll let the pictures relate what happened this morning. :hihi:

:woowoo:

alright. i have to say something.
1. i immediately noticed all the road noise, just a very slight shimmy/vibration/tramlining going over ugly patches of freeway.
2. putting the bbs rc away, i could feel its lightness, especially against the acs rears.
3. it was a royal pain to clean the rc.
4. i have discovered a new unfortunate propensity. i've previously confessed to wiping down my wheels once every 2 days. now with the stupid bbks installed, i also like keeping them rather shiny and spotless.
5. with the rc, it was almost impossible to get even my little fingers to wipe them down. worse, i couldnt even get to the inside of the wheels to clean them once every few weeks.
6. #5 was a piece of cake with the acs.
7. additionally, i found out my cute little fingers can reach the bright yellow front dinan (koni) struts. witness this flashed pic to show the shiny yellow!! hiha

i'm not obsessive about it - but just the fact that i do it, even though it takes but a few seconds, is sad!!! :rofl: iirc, brian (redshift) and i had posted some silly (but very telling and very true to life) comments about forums having some sort of internet 'modaholics anonymous.'

who said i'm in denial? i know when to stop. see? i'm not doing anything anymore!!! (because dinan won't let me!!! :bawling:) hiha

i'll have some pics when i have time to take some proper shots of the new partners in crime - stoptech, meet type 2. :M5thumbs:

it's SO nice to have those heavy, over-priced, antiquated, harsher riding, noisier, 19-inch pothole poking, but magnificently gorgeous acs type 2s on again! :flag:

637p signing off for dinner :)

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
You should change the ///M badges to custom ///D badges. That would be really slick! And it would be a more accurate representation of the Motorsport/Dinan hybrid performance of your car.

·
Registered
343 Posts
naa he should keep it the way it is.

If he someday decided to drop a S62 and 6 speed manual gear box into it I'd say go nuts with the ///M5 and/or Dinan badges. But right now the lack of //M5 and Dinan badges and the subtle, ///M badges are a perfect fit for this awesome supercharged 540i Touring/Estate.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Jenner said:

If he someday decided to drop a S62 and 6 speed manual gear box into it I'd say go nuts with the ///M5 and/or Dinan badges. But right now the lack of //M5 and Dinan badges and the subtle, ///M badges are a perfect fit for this awesome supercharged 540i Touring/Estate.
-I was referring to the M badges he just put on the side trim. I think those would be unique and interesting with the Dinan D after the Motorsport stripes.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #629
episode 13: mobile mobility!

first, a letter from one of our faithful readers...
(God forbid, you think i shld have a 'dear awwy' column? 'awwy' of course, since yours truly is stuck on the aw/ir handle. :rofl:)

apparently, my 4 picture collage did not quite convey the message i had intended, thanks to me forgetting a crucial picture...that off the bbs rc neatly bagged and stacked in my office.

touring dude said:
Jack
I'm intently following your Soap (Mod?) Opera like my wife does her's on TV, but I'm confused about today's episode......
Did you get new tires or something for the Type 2's? I see that you are in a shop of some sort. Are you dumping the 18's (Do the 19's really ride that much worse? I love my 18's (ceptinfer the color) but have my eye on a set of 19's that I REALLY like) Or you just switching back (for ease of cleaning, etc) and keping the 18's for your SF set?
Can't make the Cove this Sat, we'll have to do it again in a couple of weeks......

Sport Wagonly yours.
R

Oh and I think I figgered out the turn signal/ Euro lens thing.....But I'll keep you in suspense until I make it happen!
dear touring dude,

1. i did get new tires for the rear type 2s a month or 2 ago, as the rears were worn out, and one had a real big screw screwed into it.
2. no, not dumping the 18s. they are my spares.
3. the 19s do ride much worse, now that i got used to the 18s with the mich ps2. prior to the mch ps2, b/w my e46 m3, x5 on 20s, and 19s on the wagon, i never knew any better. the 18s on the ps2 was really, REALLY cushy and quiet.
4. i switched back since i wasnt going up north to the dinan hq. they'll be my sf rims, you're right.
5. switched back for lots of reasons, the main one? i REALLY love the type 2s. for me, it just makes the car.

and please let me in on the turn signal secret!!!

----------------
jenner, earl,

i got an answer you may both find interesting. later tonight or tom.
---------------
and now, back to regular programming.

the jack review said:
1. mod - ///M Mobility Kit
2. bmw part numbers (main ones) - 82-11-0-134-558
3. price and labor (if it's easily figured out ) -$136 + tax
(labor was figuring out WHERE to put the poor thing.)
nice and snug under the main wagon rear trunk panel.

contents - the exploded view...this is such a beautifully crafted piece. where the goo goes, i'm planning on hiding a small bottle of water!!! it even has a little pouch with a piece of napkin and a plastic glove.

the artsy shot :)

the 'unloved' part of it...the goo.

5. review/complaints - this is an absolute must for any of you who run 19s with rubber bands. it has saved my life at least 5 -6 times now, working in conjunction with the retrofitted ///m5 tire pressure monitor. i realized i could have bought the much cheaper costco alternative, for 1/3 the price, but 10x BIGGER. but this looks way cooler, has an ///m embossed on it, and packs such a big punch for being a mini-compressor.

so easy to check the tire pressures, and even inflates my daughter's bicycle tires.

of course, even back from the m3 days, i remembered pple just hating the ///m goo that comes with it, so i never plan to use that. any of you need it, pm me!!! hahahahaha.

i love this little gadget.
6. as a mod, was it worth it? - YES! :M5thumbs::M5thumbs::M5thumbs::M5thumbs::M5thumbs:
7. from a money spent perspective, was it a good bang for the buck? - not only was it not very expensive, but from the cost of what it has allowed me to avoid, i can say it has saved me even more in $ and time & aggravation. :M5thumbs::M5thumbs::M5thumbs::M5thumbs::M5thumbs:
8. would i do it again? - YES!!! (in fact, when we travel in the x5, i bring it with us.)
9. overall rating: - :M5thumbs::M5thumbs::M5thumbs::M5thumbs::M5thumbs:
450p

-------------------
little side blurb: i have decided to control myself, and NOT use my paddles or even the sport mode, just to see exactly what kind of mpg i'm getting. although good gas mileage never was a goal or thought of the project, having heard pple rave about increased mpg with a s/c, i find it interesting that i do NOT see that in my case.

my guess is what the s/c gave, the lower-geared diff has taken away...

:read1: from the american medical association's secret files...

my fingers are suffering from 'hypopaddlelitis.' half tank gone. my physician has also pointed out it is more than a physical situation, but also a severe mental malady. can only be cured by 2 rather toxic substances: some lead (foot) and highly flammable fluids, available without any prescription from the nearest gas station. also lookup 'speed deprivation,' a condition far worse than sleep deprivation, which is curable.

5p hiha :flag: out with the 4 girls of my life. or 5...including frau touring?

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Don't forget PS fluid in the trunk too. I always keep a bottle and one of oil.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #631 (Edited)
episode 14: a trunk liner fit for a....

earl,

the dinan 'D' is actually attractive...

although when i first googled for an image, i got this!

sounds like a city in france...

it crossed my mind, but that's going to take some work...in the end, (or for now) i'm on the same track as jenner...

Jenner said:

btw, the silberfrau says 'thank you' for your compliment. and even **if** an s62 mit 6 speed finds its way into it, the MORE the ///m5 badges won't go on, as much as i like them. it's good enough that it's got an ///m attitude!

---------------
on to business...

"a trunk liner fit for a...150 lb golden retriever!"

the jack review said:
1. mod - Euro Heavy-Duty Trunk Liner
2. bmw part numbers (main ones) - 82 26 9 408 290
(interestingly, someone has copied that item number down, and tried to order it with bmwna with no luck!!)
3. price and labor (if it's easily figured out ) - $FREE$, came with the car! story is car was euro-delivered. the first owner inquired (since he has a big dog) and was shown it. he promptly purchased it in germany.

5. review/complaints - pros: when i pick up kids and their wheeled backpacks have mud stuck on them, it's not an issue. when we go to the oriental market and buy stuff that drips (as in dead animal fluids...hiha ), no worries; if i had to transport our other beast - a little 4 lb miniature lop-earred bunny - piece of cake.
cons: short of an anvil weighing 500 lbs, everything slips and slides all the time; if i need to get to the ///m mobility kit, it's a pain.
6. as a mod, was it worth it? - i got it for free, so it gets...
:M5thumbs: :M5thumbs: :M5thumbs: :M5thumbs: :M5thumbs:
7. from a money spent perspective, was it a good bang for the buck? - why, YES! :M5thumbs: :M5thumbs: :M5thumbs: :M5thumbs: :M5thumbs:

8. would i do it again? - actually, i tried. tyrone ordered what he thought were the flatter rubberized trunk liners, and we ended up with these, which were summarily returned!

i had wanted some kind of a rubberized trunk tray, similar to the black rubber floor mats inside the car. i guess we're fine for now.

9. overall rating: :M5thumbs: :M5thumbs: :M5thumbs: :M5thumbs:
(4 out of 5, for the stuff that sloshes around.)
p.s. speaking of dogs, check out the e60 m5 setup for our furry friends...

321p :byebye:

p.s.#2: spoke with [email protected] today. 'something' arrived. even better...
jack, would you like me to request a XXXXXXX for your car? oh, and btw, mike is ???????? your car right now!
to which i said.."absolutely! didnt know i could do that!!!" stay tuned. this little trinket will get ON the car. :woowoo: as to what mike is up to, even i have to wait and see.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #632
episode 15: missed dinan, but went dinin'

at the risk of sounding self-serving, i like this title...it has nothing to do with the mod review, so we'll save it for the end.

can only do a short one today, as new york is calling, and i still have a BIG pile of paperwork :) (had originally hoped to make it down to crystal cove with a few other touring guys...but simply cant)

the jack review said:
1. mod - TEC Cup Holder
2. bmw part numbers (main ones) - 51-16-0-394-760
(i couldnt believe THIS had a bmw part number, at least through crevier.)
3. price and labor (if it's easily figured out ) -$72, and I PUT IT IN. granted, tyrone could've done it in 2 minutes blindfolded AND handcuffed to the exhaust - it took me 30 minutes sweating in the garage! :rofl:
hiding inside the really small enclosure.

cover retracted...

the mechanism is engaged by pressing against the base part of the cupholder.

finally out!

this underlit shot shows the fine bmw letters that give it that oem look.

and for those of you who want to see how a $72 cupholder works...a world premiere video...so let's 'tec' it away!!
http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/jacknhedy/?action=view&current=20060819_6765.flv

5. review/complaints - thank God i dont have those 64 oz big gulps. regular soda is fine, big boba kind of iffy. water bottles are fine, unless you enjoy a bit of spirited driving, then it's all over the place. it is an improvement over the wimpy cup holders.

and of all days, shooting that short clip today - took me 5 takes. the mechanism got stuck halfway!!!! made in china??? and my kids barely play with it!
6. as a mod, was it worth it? - it IS a beautiful piece, elegantly designed. :M5thumbs: :M5thumbs: :M5thumbs::M5thumbs: :M5thumbs:

7. from a money spent perspective, was it a good bang for the buck? - little pricey, relative to the other one (forgot the name) that slings over the side. but it does look the part.
:M5thumbs: :M5thumbs: :M5thumbs:

8. would i do it again? - not sure, actually...i wouldnt get rid of it, but may not do it again.
9. overall rating: - :M5thumbs: :M5thumbs: :M5thumbs:
(now that i'm evaluating these mods one by one, i canNOT believe how much i've done, especially once they're numbered!!!)
---------------------------

about the title...

back in episode 11, 'it's a no-go' - i ended up not going up to morgan hill - primarily due to not really needing the hand tune. part of me wished i made it up there to meet up with the guys from this (m5board) forum to check on the progress of a couple of full-monty s3.

ended up going to lunch with a thaichi808, who graciously invited me. i was pretty sure we were the only 2 asians in the persian restaurant - awesome food.

sharing a mutual enthusiasm for tourings is great, but building a friendship runs circles around that. thanks thaichi808. :)

the one detrimental possibility - the ever-present danger of a fellow nut popping up his trunk and saying - 'lemme show you something...' did happen.

i was too enamored to even take a shot of the whole thing. this is all i have for now...an oem piece to boot!

as we speak, he's got it on his touring. he's finally done, at least that he says. :rofl: i've appointed myself his official paparazzo, so waiting for the next opportunity to meet up.

************* NEWS FLASH *************

big enuf? for you touring owners...we're planning WAGONFEST II! please check in at the main thread over at bimmerfest.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161467

317p thanks :) jack

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #633
episode 16: mired in mirrors miswired!!!

I’ll admit I’ve been skating on the easier to review items. Let’s do something pricey and nice…

the jack review said:
1. mod - OEM ///M5 Factory Pre-painted Retracting Side View Mirrors
2. bmw part numbers (main ones) -
Mirror Housing 51-16-0-002-681/2 $529/per side
Aspheric Glass Euro 51-16-2-694-895/6 $234/per side
Switch Unit 61-31-6-909-903 $145
Door Module 61-35-6-904-243 $150

3. price and labor (if it's easily figured out ) - (see above…) total came to: $1962 with tax (no labor)
the pre-painted housing

the aspheric lens

door module

5. review/complaints - on mar 14, the first bits came – the aspheric glass, switch unit and door module. Tyrone had **warned** me that since I was the FIRST one to ever order it pre-painted from the factory, to expect a delay, barring any additional barriers. to commemorate this momentous occasion, even the package had its picture taken!

The mirror housing finally showed up may 3rd. it was an exciting afternoon, as this was going in. while not difficult, it was laborious in that the door panels and all the corresponding switches etc had to come off and on. It was to be fairly clockwork…UNTIL every thing was in, and given the first test run…reminds me of the thai or egyptian dances where your hands swivel in opposite rotations! nothing beats a video for this!
http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/jacknhedy/?action=view&current=0503mirrorproblem.flv

Initially, tyrone thought this was the culprit…embossed on the metal was the designation that the set I got was for RIGHT hand drive. :bawling:

thinking it through logically, it shldn't have mattered.

Tyrone of course never ceased to amaze me, as he calls just 2 days later with a ‘surprise’ for me. he analyzed the wiring diagrams and caught the reversed white and blue wires, straight from the factory.

[:reporter: just this past Friday afternoon, thaichi808 called me with the same symptom, which the guys at bms were admittedly stumped. I felt useful as I emailed the guys the above pic – and gave chris a 2-minute explanation. I knew my insanity wasn’t in vain!!!]

here’s the finished install. That beautiful contour, framing the aspheric lenses…

a before frontal shot (didn’t realize how LITTLE I took of this profile pre-mods.)

after:

6. as a mod, was it worth it? - this is probably the one outside mod that made the most difference. It has totally changed the character of the car. I actually had a practical reason for doing it…:rofl: our home is a little hamlet with a traditionally tight 2 car garage. The retracted side mirrors allowed a bit more space between the cars. It looks unbelievable – and my kids were enthralled (at least for the first few days) with the peculiar retracting mirrors.

http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/jacknhedy/?action=view&current=0506retractvid.flv

7. from a money spent perspective, was it a good bang for the buck? -
once again, this is admittedly not a money-wise option. I could have saved perhaps even $150 a side had I ordered the unpainted one, but after factoring in my time to shuttle around the housings to the paint shop, and go back, and worry about paint matching, etc, it was worth it to me to just get it done from the factory.

8. would i do it again? - in a heartbeat!!!
9. overall rating: - :M5thumbs: :M5thumbs: :M5thumbs: :M5thumbs: :M5thumbs:
epilogue…on june 9th, while tyrone was fiddling around with my amp over at m5boy’s home, he made the comment about seeing how **strangely** my side view mirrors were angled. Then he remembered the whole right hand drive thing – my lenses were made to be angled in reverse…this is what he was referring to…the weird angle is most accentuated on the driver’s side, as I have gotten used to pushing it out to the maximum for best peripheral visibility.

Driver’s mirror

Passenger’s mirror

further, tyrone actually thinks the housings themselves are NOT ‘mirror’ images (pun intended) of each other, due to the amount of swivelling on each side.

230p sun. :byebye:

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #634
episode 17: booted the red for the clear in the rear...

since this mini-series (the summary part of it) is being broadcasted simultaneously on 2 channels (b'fest forum is the other), the doc chimed in on the other side about the side view mirrors...

tyrone said:
Actually it was M5Boy who first noticed that, but that's how they're supposed to be. The mirror opposite the driver is supposed to be angled more inward. It's just backward in your case due to the RHD parts
so on to today's installment of..."as the wheel turns, and as the cash burns" hiha

the jack review said:
1. mod - Euro Clear Tail Light lenses
2. bmw part numbers (main ones) - 63-21-6-902-531/2
3. price and labor (if it's easily figured out ) - $107 per side + tax

5. review/complaints - i did not know this was available. it was this pic that started it all...see what google can do to your money?

it doesnt help that tyrone confirms the existence of this part. on 3/13, i was given the good news this showed up.

the bad news is it was the ONLY side that came. its partner doesnt show up for another 2 weeks.

before...

halfway done ...

after...

this is another visually striking, but subtle mod to the outside. most of the bmw sport packaged vehicles have clear lenses for the sedans, and even the x5, but NOT for the wagons - as our old e46 325it did not.

compared to the regular usa clear lenses, this one shows the reflector a bit more - almost a brighter look than the more white looking sport package lenses.

the other difference is the blinking, although it is the case for the e39 tourings - the signal marker does NOT blink separately from the brake light. there's a guy who's pretty close to figuring out how to separate the blinking.

6. as a mod, was it worth it? - YES!!!

7. from a money spent perspective, was it a good bang for the buck? - really another good bang for the buck mod.

8. would i do it again? - in a heartbeat!
9. overall rating: - :M5thumbs: :M5thumbs: :M5thumbs: :M5thumbs: :M5thumbs:
postscript:

dont know if you guys picked up on the pics, but i realized the whole uproar over the 'egg yolk' issue. because the lenses were SO transparent, the 'clearness' is pretty much drowned and overpowered by the egg yolk. nothing that throwing a few bucks cant fix. :bawling::rofl:

625p :byebye:

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Was this mod "The Guiding Light"?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #636 (Edited)
episode ummm, well....

b4 we tend to our un-episode, a few comments from the mail bag....

Richard in NC said:
Was this mod "The Guiding Light"?
i was saving that for the hellas....:rofl: (actually, i dont know much about soaps. richard???? hiha is THAT what you do when you're not on the boards?)

ketchup said:
hahaha you have right-hand-drive mirrors?! did you get a discount for that jack?!
I want the aspheric mirrors/auto dimming but I haven't got the funds for it

Oh how I envy thee..
well, ketchup, as a matter of fact i did. i believe i got about 30% off. you think i might have gotten the lhd version if i paid full price??? :bawling:

you gave me an idea - i shld reserve one episode to everything that went WRONG!!! hiha
-----------------

ok everyone, i'm signing off for the next full week. gone to new york, my baby is going off to college...:bawling:

i **might** be able to leave you guys with 1 short video...maybe later tonight or tomorrow if i get to do it. gruesome. that's all i'll say for now.

so please read other more worthwhile and educational posts while i'm off the air. :flag: or...

you might decide to go back to post #1, read about 90 posts a day, and you'll be about ready for a new one 7 days later!!! haven't you heard of syndicated re-runs??? :hihi:

638p

and yes- the werewagon is off to the secret lab of doc tyrone for the finishing touches.

kidding aside, bec of the time change, if i'm up at 6am and no one to talk to, i may very well throw in an episode or 2.

730p addendum to the ///m5 side view mirror info: i FORGOT to put the total out the door with tax for the whole setup = $1963. :bawling:
-----
940p

bummer.

i felt like i could give alfred hitchcock a run for his money. after all, i've brought you 9 seconds of pure aural terror in "The SQUEAL," and **almost** premiered my next horror thriller, "The SHIMMY of SHAME!" :bawling: (i made the mistake of recording it on high res, so 20 seconds of footage ended up being 51 mb!) once resized, i'll post it. it is rated R, for non-stop scenes that could induce nausea. not recommended for folks with bad eyesight.

some other miscellaneous comments since i've had the type 2s back on:
1. seriously, i'm hoping a rebalance next week can fix this malady. beginning to worry just a bit.
2. regarding the road noise: with the bbs rc (or more accurately, the mich ps2) i CAN hear the exhaust. now, even at wot, i do NOT hear the exhaust. in fact, to drown the road noise, i do have to turn the volume up, i mean UP!. hey - wait - it's not the acs' fault - it's the so3s!!!
3. aside from the shimmy, it likes to pull to the right a bit. again, note that NONE of these were happening with the bbs rc/ps2.
4. although none of this was happening either b4 i swapped them out the last time.
5. only thing i could blame it on (in ignorance) is the last guy who managed to slam the type 2s on the pavement...

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
AW;
several things:
I don't watch soaps but I know plenty that do. I'm sure there are plenty of plays on words of their titles if I thought about it.

Do your acs wheels need shims? They may not be mounted properly on the hubs and cause the shimmy. If not, the wheels themselves could be on the hubs off center but thats unlikely. I would have them balanced and re-mounted on their nickel since it didn't do it before.

Finally, it's your duty to post while in NY. We hate reruns, especially real TV reruns since we won't have this entertainment. Simply take your laptop, find a coffee house with WiFi, and use the excuse to fetch some coffee for all in the mornings.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #638 (Edited)
episode 18: jovial over the oval

in the big apple!!! looks like i do have some spare time to report off-site...

seen 2 tourings - an e39 525i, and an e34 530i. saw quite a few other makes of them - all looking very utilitarian and practical - rolling on 15s and 16s, really lacking on the tlc some pple shower on their wagons. i was last in ny about 20 yrs ago - and in the city - i would even wonder if i want a nice car. nowhere to drive it, nowhere to drive it fast, nowhere to park it... hats off to the m5ers in nyc.

had lunch at pizza gruppo yesterday. cheap and awesome for five of us - $33 + tip! dinner was, well, spectacular.

Richard in NC said:
AW;
several things:
I don't watch soaps but I know plenty that do. I'm sure there are plenty of plays on words of their titles if I thought about it. (i'll let you slide on that one. hiha )

Do your acs wheels need shims? They may not be mounted properly on the hubs and cause the shimmy. (they're hubcentric - each comes and needs a little aqua-coloredplastic - YES - PLASTIC piece.) If not, the wheels themselves could be on the hubs off center but thats unlikely. I would have them balanced and re-mounted on their nickel since it didn't do it before. (they're getting a call when i get home..)

Finally, it's your duty to post while in NY. We hate reruns, especially real TV reruns since we won't have this entertainment. Simply take your laptop, find a coffee house with WiFi, (well...dont even need that, as i have my wireless card with me all the time anywhere...) and use the excuse to fetch some coffee for all in the mornings.
here's my great discovery...

we had to drop off our lovable 6th family member at a friend's house b4 leaving.

on the way, i could hear the cage jiggling hard. then my memory got juggled. i remembered having to have the rears rebalanced within the 1st week of having the acs on it - and thr FRONT shimmy disappeared! the fronts were checked back then , and were balanced, so that was perplexing. i hope that works.

-------
anyways, sitting in the first cab, all i could see was the rear view mirror...so why not talk about the....

sorry - have to leave for a long ride to fire island to see some friends. promise - will post the review!

the jack review said:
1. mod - M5 Oval Rear View Mirror
2. bmw part numbers (main ones) - 51-16-7-892-263
3. price and labor (if it's easily figured out ) -$394 plus tax
(watching tyrone pop the old one out and plop this one in made me think (only for a second) that everything was a piece of cake.)
before...

after...

5. review/complaints - iirc, this was the second mod done by tyrone, mar 5. this also falls in to a category of mods i'd group under the heading "bad habits acquired from 48k miles of driving an e46 m3." part of this undertaking was not simply to achieve a nice amt of performance, but to also replicate an ///m driving cabin experience.

i will say that i did marvel - the more i saw him take and swap out other parts) that such a tightly-engineered car could have so many pop-off parts!!!

this part i like a lot. nothing like viewing what's behind me from an oval-shaped mirror. it's subtle- often missed by pple who've sat in my car and looked around for mods.

6. as a mod, was it worth it? - yes! visually, it is a stunning piece of german engineering, and one of those touches that complete the ///m package.

7. from a money spent perspective, was it a good bang for the buck? - yes, but...it is a bit pricey. so what's new??? :rofl: especially when all it does is hang there and look pretty. (wait - doesnt THAT describe everything our wives buy???)

8. would i do it again? - yes.
9. overall rating: - :M5thumbs: :M5thumbs: :M5thumbs: :M5thumbs:
finally, here's a parting shot of our 'patient' before going into icu.

1025a, from the long island railroad ride!!!

554a pst.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #639
episode 19: felt the PAIN, on the TRAIN, when it started to RAIN!!!

well, yesterday we took an hr plus train ride from the penn station to the babylon station. once we stepped out, my wife (who is the consummate vacation planner), realized we forgot the 2 umbrellas packed into our suit cases. we jumped in the cab, then on to the fire island ferry. halfway through, the pitter-patter rain turned into a full-blown pounding. THAT inspired today's episode.

it's 11a here- wife and eldest daughter out destroying me at h&m and other such places. 2 little ones sleeping beside me. enough time to whip something quickly.

the jack review said:
1. mod - BMW Mini-Umbrella and Case
2. bmw part numbers (main ones) - 51-47-0-306-529
3. price and labor (if it's easily figured out ) - $48 + tax
(the labor part was interesting. part of the instructions included a template. here's a pic of what came in it. note the holes on the umbrella holder.

the holder is basically screwed into the side of the leg compartment area of the passenger side. there are 2 little holes. now think of that for a second. the way it's done is the holder is aligned against the 'wall' where you want to position it, the template is inserted into it. the holder is pliable enough to allow the screwdriver to bend the opening to screw in the first bolt. NOW how about the second one about 6-7 inches INSIDE the holder???

iirc, tyrone had to use a really skinny screwdriver to poke through the mesh to get to the bolt to screw it in...)
this is proof that it IS oem!

here are the parts...

installed!

up close...

5. review/complaints - again, another item i saw on another european individual car...do i really need another umbrella? no.. but i dont have one that looks this nice, and isnt sloshing around the car.

sadly...:)rofl:) i have NOT even popped the thing open, for fear of not being able to re-fold it in its original way. what's new - my mean looking 4.4 x5 will probably NEVER see dirt!!! ouich

i will promise to take a shot of it opened up. hopefully it's not too cute to only cover half my head!

6. as a mod, was it worth it? - i guess so -
:M5thumbs: :M5thumbs: :M5thumbs: :M5thumbs:

7. from a money spent perspective, was it a good bang for the buck? - not bad for the money.
:M5thumbs: :M5thumbs: :M5thumbs: :M5thumbs:

8. would i do it again? - perhaps...
9. overall rating: - :M5thumbs: :M5thumbs: :M5thumbs: :M5thumbs:
1140a the shoppers are back, and we're off to payard!
(speaking of food, forgot to mention the unbelievable dinner we had 2 nights ago...the clue is: it hasthese 2 bluish green doors that do NOT open, but rather the side glass doors that do. :lightbulb: )

later.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I think that is the same BMW umbrella I was given as a present. I didn't get the holder. The umbrella works well and covers well. It's been the most reliable folding umbrella I've owned. BMW engineering without the BMW electronics. :)

621 - 640 of 980 Posts