BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what speed does the SMG change gear in your M5?

I found this in swedish Automobil. Is this correct?

1 gear: 71,5 km/h
2 gear: 107,4 km/h
3 gear: 157,7 km/h
4 gear: 204,6 km/h
5 gear: 245,8 km/h
6 gear: 284,8 km/h
7 gear: 341,9 km/h

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nimbus said:
Those are the speeds when the revlimiter kicks in @ 8250 rpm in each gear.
so when you reach 71,5 km/h in first gear you change to second gear. :M5launch:

Gear 7 says 341,9 km/h, is that theoretical topspeed ?

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Sounds correct. I rememebr when starting from 50 km/h first gear was way to high revs to start from, better to take on the Gallardo at 2nd gear starting from 50 km/h.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Just_me said:
so when you reach 71,5 km/h in first gear you change to second gear. :M5launch:

Gear 7 says 341,9 km/h, is that theoretical topspeed ?
thats if you want to hit 8250rpm everytime.

341.9km would be the theoretical top speed according to gearing I would assume, but in real world, you'll have a lot of wind...

·
Registered
537 Posts

gear:44.4mph2gear:66.7mph3gear:98.0mph4gear:127.1mph5gear:152.7mph6gear:177.0mph7

gear:212.5mph

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Surely it depends not only on road speed but also on the loading to the car e.g. number of passengers, whether you're going up a hill, towing a trailer etc.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Zenith said:
well technically, isn't peak power a little earlier? So in theory, the Zenith, would be earlier :p
nah!! just rev its guts out, thats the best way!

·
Registered
722 Posts
This very useful information provides a glimpse into future ownership. 80 mph cruising would therefore be at 3100 rpm, 70 mph at around 2700 rpm, and 60 mph at around 2300 rpm. There's still usable torque at 2000 rpm, so the E60 should be able to cruise at 55 mph in 7th gear and still be able to roll on the throttle or maintain its speed on a reasonable grade. Works well for me.

I don't find screaming around in first gear at all pleasant day-to-day. I fact, I hate first gear in almost any car. Around town I much prefer spending my time in second gear at low rpm rather than in first gear, even if I'm missing a much fatter part of the torque curve in first. The V-10's torque curve doesn't really start to strengthen until 3000 rpm, or around 16 mph in second gear for the E60, 36 mph in third gear. This is where I've come to appreciate the low end torque of the E39 M5. I'll just have to wait and see on that one.

Interestingly, BMW seems to feel that in these day-to-day situations when I'm not trying to explore the V-10's 500 horsepower, I should be driving around in p400 mode, the torque and power curves for which I've never seen.

Richard

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have an issue of bmw car...M5 vs B5

the m5 did 270 km/h in 5th gear!!!...and there is a picture too

i just finished the break in period...and the m5 is in the dealership...i'll try it out...;)

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
rsteele said:
This very useful information provides a glimpse into future ownership. 80 mph cruising would therefore be at 3100 rpm, 70 mph at around 2700 rpm, and 60 mph at around 2300 rpm. There's still usable torque at 2000 rpm, so the E60 should be able to cruise at 55 mph in 7th gear and still be able to roll on the throttle or maintain its speed on a reasonable grade.
Am I the only one that doesn't like the idea of cruising along on the highway for hours at a time at >3k? I sure hope they did some work on the sound deadening....

·
Registered
12,965 Posts
vndkshn said:
Am I the only one that doesn't like the idea of cruising along on the highway for hours at a time at >3k? I sure hope they did some work on the sound deadening....
With an extra gear, it is still geared shorter thant he E39 M5, which hits about 88 @ 3k rpm in top (6th) gear. You would have thought that the E60 could be slightly taller in 7th than the E39 in 6th and still accelerate harder with an extra gear, 2 extra cylinders giving an extra 100 hp. I suspect sound deadening won't be a problem and you won't hear much at 3k rpm unless you start doing exhaust work! ;) :M5launch:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
gsfent said:
With an extra gear, it is still geared shorter thant he E39 M5, which hits about 88 @ 3k rpm in top (6th) gear. You would have thought that the E60 could be slightly taller in 7th than the E39 in 6th and still accelerate harder with an extra gear, 2 extra cylinders giving an extra 100 hp. I suspect sound deadening won't be a problem and you won't hear much at 3k rpm unless you start doing exhaust work! ;) :M5launch:
Regards,
Jerry
That is exactly it... the E39 is running at ~3k and going 8mph faster. What would the E60 be revving?

I guess that BMW should have put an 8 speed in the M5... just to have a highway cruise gear. Listening to the sound clips, it sounds like the noise might be a bit annoying if it comes into the cabin.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Been reading M5Board for a few months...great site!! Took Delivery of my E60 M5 at the end of July. Put on 2,400 miles so far. The beast is loosening up. So I'll find out if these gear changes are close to the published figures soon..!! :M5launch: Trying to clock on as many miles before 16th September - that's when the Cannonball 8000 starts - I've entered the event with this car. Look out for the car - Black Sapphire/Black. When I've learned how to post some pictures up, I'll do so.

Trying to negotiate delimit through BMW GB at the moment - I'll let you know how I get on.

best wishes to you all,

Wasim.

·
Registered
722 Posts
vndkshn said:
No you're not. The E60 M5 will be a $100,000 car when the purchase is concluded. Call it a bargain, but that's real money. For that price, I want it all. I want incredible power and a great sound when I depress the loud pedal. I want everyday, easy down-low torque, and comfort. I long for the F1 song of the V-10 engine at high rpm. But when I'm cruising down the freeway on a long trip at steady-state, perhaps in cruise-control, and having no sporting fun whatsoever, I would like for the M5 to be whisper quiet, running on nothing more than wind or solar power. If an E60 M5 could "set sail" with traffic from Washington, DC to San Francisco without noise, gasoline consumption, mileage registered, or service requirements, who would complain?

I test drove one of the M5 versions prior to the E39 at around 80 MPH. The tachometer was at 3000 rpm or above. I wanted to upshift into another gear. There wasn't one. There was too much frenzy. I liked, but didn't buy the car.

I just drove my wife's 7-series 350 miles to the beach. Never went above 2500 rpm in top gear. Very relaxing. Here's my hope for the E60 M5...

It is possible that the perception of frenzy is relative to the rpm range of the engine. 3100 rpm as a proportion of total rpm range in the E60 M5 is not much different than 2500 rpm for my wife's 7-series. I'm hoping that one would feel like the E60 M5 is loafing at 3100 rpm while cruising at 80 mph, particularly if in p400 mode. If not, then we share the same concern. I'd have to drive the E60 M5 at 80 mph to know, but in the USA such opportunities don't exist for most of us prior to purchase.

Richard

1 - 20 of 20 Posts