BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Flooring it in P400 while in low to mid range, then hitting the M button for P500S for example, I notice no difference in acceleration. However, if I do this at say 6500rpms, I notice a difference. Is there a specific RPM where there's an actual power difference or is it supposed to be across the entire RPM range?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've been playing around with P400 vs. P500 like you and have noticed the same thing. At lower revs, there really isn't much of a difference until you're up past 6k. If you think about it though, P400 is only restricting the throttle valve openings to approximately 90%, as opposed to 100% in P500. P400 isnt exactly slow as molasses, but there's definitely a difference in the quickness of the revs in P500 in the upper RPM range.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I really can't notice the difference between the two. I want to dyno my car to see the difference with my own eyes.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really can't notice the difference between the two. I want to dyno my car to see the difference with my own eyes.
You can if you do it right. Floor it till say 7000rpms, then hit the M button and you'll feel the jolt of the extra power that gets unleashed.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
just start accelerating moderately in 1st and anywhere from 3000-5000 hit the power button or M button and you will feel the rpms jump a little and possibly a slight lurch, just depends on how aggressive you are on the gas. I do this almost everyday when I take off, you just feel it right away. Its just the car doesn't have a lot of "low end" torque so its not as dramatic at lower rpms. But you can hear and feel the difference past 5000 rpms for sure. Its an beast no doubt.

·
Registered
112 Posts

There is a fault on your car!!!!!! It is very noticable, maybe not at 2000rpm but its a big difference, 100bhp difference !

·
Registered
90 Posts
The difference is there throughout the rev range.
+1

from my experience It's very noticeable.
- The intake / exhaust noise is louder once you go into P500
- The car revs much faster. so much so that I have to adjust my shift points (6 speed). I'm not even talking about P500S. this is just regular P500

the "lurching forward" some people describe when hitting the M button is only if you go P400 -> P500S. if you just go to P500 regular, there's no lurching... just more power.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I can not believe you can't feel the power change, check your m mode settings, is it not set to 400 mode. IT must be!!!
I would agree with this. I get a lurch forward and a big difference even at 3k rpm.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Also feel the bump in power when I hit the M.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I too feel a bump in power, even at low RPM and low throttle position. I believe this has more to do with the throttle mapping than any increase in HP (at lower RPM and lower pedal input). P400 has a a more exponential curve for throttle pedal (x axis) vs throttle response (y axis), P500 has a more linear curve and P500S a more logarithmic curve. So, as an example, for throttle pedal at 25%, throttle body may only be open 15% for P400, 25% for P500, and 35% for P500S. So the big bump felt at lower RPM/pedal is the sudden change in throttle body opening. This is supported by the dyno runs showing minimal HP difference at the lower RPMs

1 - 15 of 15 Posts