Banned
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine is at .3 now. Thank you

·
Banned
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool thanks. So it will say "please add a qt of oil"?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Cool thanks. So it will say "please add a qt of oil"?
Something like that. It says something like "Engine oil level at minimum. Please add 1 quart as soon as possible." or something to that effect. It also puts a yellow engine in the clock display on the dashboard.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just added a liter for the first time. You'll get an alarm/check control notice when it gets down to 0.1 or so.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ah whoops. I've always kept it at exactly 1.0 Essentially when I do an oil change the car reads 1.1 then it slowly burns off to 0.9 and I'll add 100ml. I will give you new respect for the oil realizing how difficult it is to clean the glassware after the 10w60 has been in it. You can use the hottest water out there and the oil will stick to the side of the glass without fazing it a bit. Basically I have to emulsify it with either a detergent or some other thing like flour. Takes me about 10 minutes to add the oil, but it doesn't go down that quickly so I only have to do it once a season or so.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Our cars burn oil?? I didn't know that. I just paid 200 dollars for an oil change.... how long do have until I have to get another one? And about how many times do i need to add oil till then?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Interesting question Salaam5, I don't know about others but mine goes through about 100ml (1/10th of a quart) in about 2000km of driving. Is that better than others? What's the worst anyone has seen? I bet I spend 90% of the cars life at 100km/h in 7th gear.

·
Registered
87 Posts
what model year is your car? I go through 1 liter in about 1200 miles. Basically topping off once a month

Interesting question Salaam5, I don't know about others but mine goes through about 100ml (1/10th of a quart) in about 2000km of driving. Is that better than others? What's the worst anyone has seen? I bet I spend 90% of the cars life at 100km/h in 7th gear.

·
Registered
30 Posts
so where does the oil go? is it burned in the combustion chamber? i pulled my spark plugs out and they are drenched in oil. is this normal? i also see some backfire oil in the air filter housing.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I went through a liter in about 2000 miles. About 2 months.
I'm about the same. A liter top off every couple months.

Note that I got a software update a few weeks ago (when I went in to take care of the sunroof air issue -- they had to reprogram for some reason) and the newer software seems a little different. The oil level status screen no longer seems to show the oil level in liters. It has the vertical bar with the high and low arrows but to the left of it, it doesn't show the number of liters (ie. 0.1L through 1.0L). It now just says 'OK'. :) I have not gotten to a top off point since the software update so I don't know what it's going to say once it hits 0.2L or 0.1L.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My M5 is a 2006 model year. One of the first in Canada (HEA Spec I believe). I'm actually rather surprised at how much oil you guys burn through. I wonder if it has something to do with higher revs? I don't often sit up around 7000 rpm, and when I do go up that high it isn't usually for all that long. It would be an interesting thing to see what mileage people get and then correlate it to their oil consumption.

I was told by the dealer that the oil basically fills the cracks in the engine which is especially noticeable when the machine is new, but as you put more km on it, the consumption of the oil will become less. However, as time goes on and the engine starts to get older and more worn, you will notice oil starting to be used more as the parts are more worn away. Personally this makes some sense, but not an awful lot of it. I can see using a little bit of oil at first, but not in the longer run. My first car was an e39 540i which I bought off my mom and dad at 230,000km on it. When they first bought the car they added a liter of oil about 2 months into it if memory serves (might have been half a liter), and they didn't have to add any more till about 200,000km in. From about 200-300k at about every 20k or so I'd have to add an extra liter or so and from 300k to 400k I'd have to add a liter about every 5-10k depending on weather (if it was cold it'd burn more oil to the point of blue smoke).

My M5 just ticked over 82000km. The last oil change was about at 67000km so I've put about 15000km on it adding 300ml of oil. I would guess judging from the responses in this thread that I am very low on the consumption of oil. I'd love to hear more to see if I am actually unique and maybe if I have something to worry about.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have 35,000 miles or so. i would say 70% local driving 30% freeway. getting about 13mpg. mine is a 2006.

My M5 is a 2006 model year. One of the first in Canada (HEA Spec I believe). I'm actually rather surprised at how much oil you guys burn through. I wonder if it has something to do with higher revs? I don't often sit up around 7000 rpm, and when I do go up that high it isn't usually for all that long. It would be an interesting thing to see what mileage people get and then correlate it to their oil consumption.

I was told by the dealer that the oil basically fills the cracks in the engine which is especially noticeable when the machine is new, but as you put more km on it, the consumption of the oil will become less. However, as time goes on and the engine starts to get older and more worn, you will notice oil starting to be used more as the parts are more worn away. Personally this makes some sense, but not an awful lot of it. I can see using a little bit of oil at first, but not in the longer run. My first car was an e39 540i which I bought off my mom and dad at 230,000km on it. When they first bought the car they added a liter of oil about 2 months into it if memory serves (might have been half a liter), and they didn't have to add any more till about 200,000km in. From about 200-300k at about every 20k or so I'd have to add an extra liter or so and from 300k to 400k I'd have to add a liter about every 5-10k depending on weather (if it was cold it'd burn more oil to the point of blue smoke).

My M5 just ticked over 82000km. The last oil change was about at 67000km so I've put about 15000km on it adding 300ml of oil. I would guess judging from the responses in this thread that I am very low on the consumption of oil. I'd love to hear more to see if I am actually unique and maybe if I have something to worry about.

·
Banned
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So i added the oil in am i suppose to reset the oil level? it has not adjusted it's reading. thank you

·
Registered
31 Posts
The manual tells you how to do it. Or just driving a half hour or so it will reset itself.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts