BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I currently have a 2002 Emola Red son of a gun. She has 76000mi. I plan to install S/C (VF, ESS, not ebay Inc.) by Spring of 2016.

Just trying to see who is installing what & at what mileage.

And if any, what preventative procedures are recommended before S/C? (apart from appropriately rated clutch)

This is specifically what I'm interested in:

http://www.esstuning.com/products/E39-M5-VT1%2d560-Supercharger-System-OUT-OF-STOCK-UNTIL-7{47}05{47}15.html

Recently performed the following maintenance:

Oil + filter + magnetic drain plug
diff fluid 75w140 royal purple
trans fluid royal purple synchromax
addressed power steering leak
both valve cover gaskets
oem rear sway bar, (steel E36 brackets), oem bushings, end links

To do:

muffler delete
both belts + tensioner pulleys

thx all!

Attachments

·
Registered
948 Posts
I put the supercharger. When car had 54000 mile ,,now it is 99500 mile so far so good,,I recommend changing CPS ,,sparks plugs,, fuel pump,,radiator,,clutch if it worn,,check all hoses under plenums and change the defective ones,,or you know what sell me the car:laugh

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Looks like you're on the right track. S/C-ing at 76k or 130k is no big deal as long as the car is healthy and has been taken care of.
I'm almost done putting together all my parts for boosting, I don't have a specific maintenance list, but I would say to take care of anything that would prevent the engine from running 100%. This means CPS (x4), TPS (x2), VANOS seals, belts and tensioners, O2 sensors, your whole cooling system, any leaks etc.

I'm not saying you must change everything before supercharging, but definitely give everything a thorough inspection. Some things can wait, others should be really done ahead of time.
I would say CPS and O2 sensors should be top of the list. TPS and VANOS seals can be addressed when they start to go or trigger a CEL.
Spark plugs
Looks like you're doing tensioners.
Inspect the radiator, if you don't think it needs to be changed, at least pull it out and clean all the gunk that's stuck in there. A coolant flush is also nice.
Check all your vacuum lines if there are any soft or brittle hoses, replace them. (I'd suggest going silicone and zip ties, OEM vacuum lines can get pricey)
The ESS kit comes with special oil separators so just replace your oil separator hoses if they're soft.
Fuel pump, unless upgrading to something like a Walbro or Bosch, replace it. I believe you should replace the relay as well. Might as well replace the fuel filter too!

Annnnnnnd...that's all I can think of

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put the supercharger. When car had 54000 mile ,,now it is 99500 mile so far so good,,I recommend changing CPS ,,sparks plugs,, fuel pump,,radiator,,clutch if it worn,,check all hoses under plenums and change the defective ones,,or you know what sell me the car:laugh

Thank you.
you cheeky son of a gun hehehe....i can't see myself selling this EVER... thanks for the reply, also, TPS = throttle position sensors, CPS = ???

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
thanks for all that feedback!

didnt think about the fuel pump. necessity no doubt. I'll definitely flush the cooler and address any leaks before hand. When I'm changing the clutch ill have much more room to work on whatever needs touched up.

i forgot to mention i did the plugs when i changed the cover gaskets. NGK iridium.

Like you you said Shafro, it looks like (I think) I'm on the right track now. I also plan on getting koni shocks before/at the same time, and probably powder coating the oem springs for the sake of being BMW overkill 5000 extreme

valvetrain looked really clean...my dad bought a lemon X3...prior owner must've never changed the oil. he had caked up black death all over the place. i was happy to see shiny gold @ this mileage. (X3 only had 55k when we discovered it)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
TheShafro hit basically everything dead-on. Stock clutch, if relatively new and correctly broken in, handles high HP just fine. Launching on the stuck clutch or slipping it when doing a hard shift will end badly though.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
If you replace the fuel pump, also replace the filter, they should be done as a pair.

At 76K, you are doing more than the necessary maintenance to add a supercharger. That's good! Granted, there could always be something odd that makes the engine go poof, but that would happen no matter what, the S/C will just accelerate things a bit.

As for the kit you linked in the original post, that is the one you want to go with. It's running on MANY cars, flawless tune, many many happy customers. Some of the ESS equipped cars are on their third and 4th owners now, still running strong. Really the way the car should have come from the factory. 6 months ago I would have said to save some pennies and get the Evolve kit, but apparently they've become retarded. Really the others are just that, the others. Go with ESS and be a happy camper.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
As for the kit you linked in the original post, that is the one you want to go with. It's running on MANY cars, flawless tune, many many happy customers. Some of the ESS equipped cars are on their third and 4th owners now, still running strong. Really the way the car should have come from the factory. 6 months ago I would have said to save some pennies and get the Evolve kit, but apparently they've become retarded. Really the others are just that, the others. Go with ESS and be a happy camper.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for that REK...I've tried to do my homework here on the board, the general consensus seemed that the ESS was hard to go wrong with. I'm looking for winning horsepower contests. 500+ would be modest and plenty for me.

Also, I'm only pursuing this because my bike has made me numb to acceleration + speed in general.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Thanks for that REK...I've tried to do my homework here on the board, the general consensus seemed that the ESS was hard to go wrong with. I'm looking for winning horsepower contests. 500+ would be modest and plenty for me.
To my knowledge, with lots of poking and reading around, the highest powered stage 1 (non-intercooled) cars have all been ESS cars with countless miles on them.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Elaborate pls lol
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/m5-e39-group-buy-forum-sponsor-discussion-offerings/290425-rk-stage-1-supercharger-kit-5670-00-a.html

:byebye:

Our kit comes with a custom tune for each specific car based on your mods, not a "generic tune", we don't fudge with IAT temps to get more power (hence why others make slightly more), retain all your emissions(no other kit does this), have an intercooler(650hp) and aftercooler add on option, a stage 3 700hp+ option as well. Not to mention the build quality is without question better than the rest and we offer pieces others don't even sell with their kits.

Feel free to shoot myself or jamie an email!

-R

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Briar, just noticed you're in Indiana, i'm in columbus and more than happy to assist with an install if you ever went that route. ;)

-R

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
6750 is a big jump from 5k (unless I'm looking at the wrong one)

What does the kit come with to substantiate the jump?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts