·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Look what I saw parked behind me today.

It's an "E39" badged 5-Series with:
-Automatic
-M5 Front Bumper
-M5 Rear Bumper (but with only left side exhaust?!)
-M5 Kidneys
-M5 Rear View Mirror (but he didn't do the side view mirrors?!)

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well, I think is not done yet and you will soon see a fake M5 around your neighbourhood!

He certainly has "bad" intentions! ouich

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
My suggestion is you give the guy a break. Immitation is the best form of flattery.

AND it does not look as if he is putting it off as an M5 (trunk badge looks to be a 540i or such). Hell I like the M5 look over the stock 5 series to.

Just my suggestion

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I think the 02/03 version of the 5 Series had a full "M" package minus the wheels and mirrors. This may very well be one.

Look at this------Ebay Ad

·
Registered
511 Posts
I guess you've never seen an M package E39 before. That's alright, we are all here to learn. The package also comes with M5 door sills, and M5 foot rest, and 18" M parrallel wheels in 18x8 and 18x9.5 with 265 rubber in the back.

The left side only exhaust is due to the fact that non M5 cars actually have a spare tire thus making it impossible to route the right side on any non M5 car.

Immitation of an M5, very far from it, more like facelifting an E39 to 03 M pack standards. Just like many of you facelifted your headlights and tailights to LED and AE.It doesn't look like a "fake" M5 to me as there is no "M5" emblem distinguishing it as a poseur.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
837 Posts
immataion is the most sincre form of flattery, jos

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Tim W said:
My suggestion is you give the guy a break.
:confused:

Tim W said:
AND it does not look as if he is putting it off as an M5 (trunk badge looks to be a 540i or such). Hell I like the M5 look over the stock 5 series to.

Just my suggestion
Did you read the title of this thread?

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
tsaros said:
Dident BMW sell cars with the M-package in the US?
This is not a "look a like copy" of a M5, it´s a bone stock car with the factory M-package.
At least it would have been if this was in Europe.
Tim W said:
I think the 02/03 version of the 5 Series had a full "M" package minus the wheels and mirrors. This may very well be one.

Look at this------Ebay Ad
Yes they did only on the '03 540i Sport Package with M-Technic Aero Package, which this 5 Series was not. Also there is an additional T-shaped horizontal bar in the front spoiler center opening which this 5 Series did not have and the '03 M5 does not have also.

Greco said:
I guess you've never seen an M package E39 before. That's alright, we are all here to learn. The package also comes with M5 door sills, and M5 foot rest, and 18" M parrallel wheels in 18x8 and 18x9.5 with 265 rubber in the back.

Actually, you're right, I technically NEVER have seen an M package E39 before. But I have seen a '03 540i Sport Package with M-Technic Aero Package. Sorry for not knowing the difference.

Greco said:
The left side only exhaust is due to the fact that non M5 cars actually have a spare tire thus making it impossible to route the right side on any non M5 car.

How they do that?

http://www.rauscher-tuning.at/produkte.asp?cp=205

http://members.fortunecity.com/horst_apfelthaler/530d.htm

Greco said:
It doesn't look like a "fake" M5 to me as there is no "M5" emblem.....
And did you read the title of this thread? :confused:

Greco said:
Immitation of an M5, very far from it, more like facelifting an E39 to 03 M pack standards. Just like many of you facelifted your headlights and tailights to LED and AE.It doesn't look like a "fake" M5 to me as there is no "M5" emblem distinguishing it as a poseur.

I think "facelifting" falls into a different category.

And I'll leave it to my fellow Beast owners here to further discuss poseur issues. :byebye:

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Yup, M5 front spoiler and rear lower spoiler. Since the M sport package wasn't avail. in the USA and the front spoiler is a M5 bumper he is a bit of a poseur :) The M Sport package for the 5 series in Europe has a horisontal line in the middle of the "air intake".

·
Registered
511 Posts
canysmc said:
Yes they did only on the '03 540i Sport Package with M-Technic Aero Package, which this 5 Series was not. Also there is an additional T-shaped horizontal bar in the front spoiler center opening which this 5 Series did not have and the '03 M5 does not have also.
The T-bar is a removable piece. Ask Atomic80, he added it to his M5 bumper.

canysmc said:
Actually, you're right, I technically NEVER have seen an M package E39 before. But I have seen a '03 540i Sport Package with M-Technic Aero Package. Sorry for not knowing the difference.
No need to apologize, not everyone is aware of the different offerings BMW makes in terms of packages. The M-Technic or M package as you sarcastically tried to differentiate is alot more than just aero looks. There is also suspension components that change. The first generation M-Tech had a level I suspension, but the 03 came with a Level II M suspension which I believe were the same components as those found on the M5.

canysmc said:
I'm sure a rubber mallet was involved as they were so clever as not to provide undercarriage photos. If you want a real view of how to get the quad look take a look at the eisenhaus.com site and pictures. You will how much room is involved and then will agree in that a mallet was used to get the rauscher exhaust in place.

canysmc said:
And did you read the title of this thread? :confused:
I take it you thought my response was directed at you specifically. I apologize, as it was intended to the general audience. Rest assured if I was directing it at you, your original post would have been quoted just like I am doing here.

canysmc said:
I think "facelifting" falls into a different category.
And I'll leave it to my fellow Beast owners here to further discuss poseur issues. :byebye:
For the record I would like to get a clear definition on what deems one a poseur? Would it be something like wearing a D&G outfit that was made in Kazakstan? Or an outfit made in Kazakstan that resembled a D&G outfit but no where had D&G writen on it? I would like to know because of my impending purchase of the M-Tech aero kit I do not wish to be frowned upon as a poseur even though my 540 badge will remain..

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Greco said:
The T-bar is a removable piece. Ask Atomic80, he added it to his M5 bumper.
So it has to be ADDED to an M5.

Greco said:
No need to apologize, not everyone is aware of the different offerings BMW makes in terms of packages. The M-Technic or M package as you sarcastically tried to differentiate is alot more than just aero looks. There is also suspension components that change. The first generation M-Tech had a level I suspension, but the 03 came with a Level II M suspension which I believe were the same components as those found on the M5.
And your response was: "I guess you've never seen an M package E39 before." Sarcaism begets sarcasim.

And as I responded: "I've seen an '03 540i Sport Package with M-Technic Aero Package." Where did I say this package is limited to aero looks?

Greco said:
I'm sure a rubber mallet was involved as they were so clever as not to provide undercarriage photos. If you want a real view of how to get the quad look take a look at the eisenhaus.com site and pictures. You will how much room is involved and then will agree in that a mallet was used to get the rauscher exhaust in place.
Even with a rubber mallet, not entirely impossible, as you originally said.

Greco said:
I take it you thought my response was directed at you specifically. I apologize, as it was intended to the general audience. ..
Apology accepted.

Greco said:
Rest assured if I was directing it at you, your original post would have been quoted just like I am doing here.
However, I was the one that started this thread.

Greco said:
For the record I would like to get a clear definition on what deems one a poseur? Would it be something like wearing a D&G outfit that was made in Kazakstan? Or an outfit made in Kazakstan that resembled a D&G outfit but no where had D&G writen on it? I would like to know because of my impending purchase of the M-Tech aero kit I do not wish to be frowned upon as a poseur even though my 540 badge will remain..
As long as it makes you happy, that's all that matters.

Also, you can end the poseur debate and just get an M5. Case closed. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
canysmc said:
Look what I saw parked behind me today.

It's an "E39" badged 5-Series with:
-Automatic
-M5 Front Bumper
-M5 Rear Bumper (but with only left side exhaust?!)
-M5 Kidneys
-M5 Rear View Mirror (but he didn't do the side view mirrors?!)
Canysmc,

Seeing that you live in NYC, try going to Astoria, Queens, one of the famous (mostly) Greek neighborhoods. There are so many clones, that even with a real Beast people think you are faking it... Some of them are simply comical attempts, but there are a few examples that have gone a pretty long way towards imitation.

I do respect this guy for at least for not de-badging what he already has, in favor of the much coveted M-symbol.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Canysmc

Well if you wish to stir the pot then I guess you have done so.

Yes I read the title and you know darn well you were being sarcastic. And your confusion about me asking you to give the guy a break............well you should not make fun of someone elses car. And that is what you are doing.

So if you wish to resort to calling people Posers because they do not meet your standards I suggest you go back to roadfly.org to act this way. I have been part of this board almost from the beginning and the one thing that has kept the quality of the board up is that people generally refrain from things such as dissing someone elses car. And in this case you are most likely wrong in your assesment of this cars status. It looks very close to a 540i Sport and without talking to the owner we will never know. Or were you one of those guys that attacked anyone with an ///M on their car, even if it came fom the factory that way? I got all kinds of hell from guys like that about my 540 Sport that had an M steering wheel and shifter. It came that way so sorry......

So instead of wasting more bandwidth we should get back to the topic at hand...BMW M5's and etc.

PS: The proper thing to do would have been to leave him a note inviting him to this board since he obviously loves the M5.....don't you agree? I hand out a m5board card to any 5 series enthusiast I meet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.