BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Subject to getting it done by year-end (a requirement of Ford), the buyer is French conglomrate LVMH (Louis Vittoun). There are several suitors (MBZ, BMW, Toyota, Hyundai); but a very knowledgable inside source says it's a "done deal" with LVMH. Don't ask me how I have this info; I can't tell you.

I'm relieved it isn't BMW. After what he did to BMW design, I can't imagine how badly Chris Bangle would destroy AM. Makes me sick to my stomach just to think about it.

Anyway, if true and it actually gets done, I suspect AM will remain a great brand and be well supported by LVMH. No car experience there; but top prestige and vast resources. 'Could be interesting.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Very interesting!!! thanks for sharing your info.. Luis Vuitton have a good sense of brand value and are a nice company (the whole of LVMH). sounds still weird but I guess they see lots of business sense in that move :)

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
drm64099 said:
I'm relieved it isn't BMW. After what he did to BMW design, I can't imagine how badly Chris Bangle would destroy AM. Makes me sick to my stomach just to think about it.
Why would you have had any reason to believe Bangle would have any input into AM if BMW bought it. He doesn't have any input into Mini. Nor did he effect any design influences on Rover when it was under BMW control.

·
Registered
66 Posts
drm64099 said:
After what he did to BMW design, I can't imagine how badly Chris Bangle would destroy AM.
I think one of AM's selling points is it's superb styling. Love it:biggrin:

So how soon until the final deal takes place do you reckon:dunno:?

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Zipmeister said:
I think one of AM's selling points is it's superb styling. Love it:biggrin:

So how soon until the final deal takes place do you reckon:dunno:?
All I know is the deal is agreed to and it's incumbent on LVMH to close by year end. So, we'll see.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Good morning.
Im a Driveline development Engineer who spent several years working for Aston Martin on DB7 Vantage, Prototype Vanquish & V600 Le Mans.

I can say with reasonable confidence, that this aquisition, though big news in the paparazzi, has not been confirmed to me by any of my Engineering collegues working at the Gaydon site,

If proven to be true however, will be a disaster waiting to happen in the future.

I can confirm that of those private parties who are interested in AML , only one is an Automotive venture capitolist, who has just finished wrecking another British sports car manufacturer.
The other interested parties are agriculture & heavy construction vehicle based.

Farrell

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Geez......

farrell said:
Good morning.
Im a driveline Engineer who spent several years working for Aston Martin on DB7 Vantage, Prototype Vanquish & V600 Le Mans.

I can say with reasonable confidence, that this aquisition, which has not been confirmed to me by any of my Engineering collegues working at the Gaydon site, will be a disaster waiting to happen in the future.

I can confirm that of those parties who are interested in AML , only one is an Automotive venture capitolist, who has just finished wrecking another British sports car manufacturer.
The other interested parties are agriculture & heavy construction vehicle based.

Farrell
That would be a crying shame. However, my understanding is the current Chairman/CEO of AM is putting together this deal to buy from Ford; with the financial backing of LVMH. I'm crossing my fingers that it gets done and AM stays in the mgmt hands it's been in. It's just such a fine, fine car and I don't want to see it fu*ked up.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
I agree 100% with your final statement.
I know that AML still rely heavily on the expertise of the Premier Automotive Group.
The Engineering centre resource resident at Gaydon is stronger than it has ever been..but the far reaching global resource that is Ford will be hard to replace.

There are many in the market place who like to tinker (read meddle)
Very few had the might & foresight of FoMoCo through Jac Nasser 's past dedication to give us the AML we have now.

I fear for the future of AML.

Have a good evening.

Farrell

·
Registered
475 Posts
Would hate to see AM go down since they are one of the sexier exotic brands. Whoever buys them, hope they keep the tradition of amazing looking and perfoming cars going. Even if LV buys them, it wouldn't be so bad, they might just incorporate LV leather into the AM interior. Imagine driving around in a big sexy purse called Aston Martin! :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
399 Posts
Power Move

Should BMW take ownership, this would prove interesting. Because the last time they ventured into British technology/affairs (ala LandRover), things did not work out so well interms of their reliability, lack of forecated sales and ever increasing price competition.

The Japanese BIG SU/SA-V whatever they call it now-a-days pierced a big whole in that RangeRover/LandRover market.

I say AM needs a leader ready to weather the storm.
- A leader that will look to broaden its line because there are just too many competitors out there in its class that people prefer.

I like the AM. If they are bought and managed by a sound company with the correct vision I will buy one but right now the jury is still out.

·
Company representative for Euroelites
145 Posts
Aston martin has the best looking coupe out there but guess what? In terms of engine performance, AM is nothing compared to Ferrari, Lambos, Porsche. All you paid for is just AM's design.

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
The press release from ford below>

FORD TO EXPLORE STRATEGIC OPTIONS FOR ASTON MARTIN

Featured Stories
Press Releases

DEARBORN, Mich., August 31, 2006 – Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F) announced today it has begun the process of exploring strategic options for Aston Martin, with particular emphasis on a potential sale of all or a portion of the unit.

“As part of our ongoing strategic review, we have determined that Aston Martin may be an attractive opportunity to raise capital and generate value," said Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Bill Ford. “Aston Martin Lagonda has flourished under Ford ownership, which is why we believe it is prudent to consider a sale of all or part of this prized brand. Since Aston Martin’s dealer network, product architecture and size are distinctly different from other Ford brands, it is the most logical and capital-smart divestiture choice. The objective of any sale would be to position Aston Martin within a structure and resource base sufficient to allow it to reach its full potential, while enabling Ford to efficiently raise capital for its other brands.”
Mr. Ford added, "Regarding our other Premier Automotive Group brands, we've made no decisions, as our review of strategic alternatives continues. However, we continue to be encouraged by Jaguar's progress and by the strength and consumer appeal of the Jaguar, Land Rover and Volvo product lineups."

The company said there can be no assurance that the decision to explore strategic options for Aston Martin will result in any transaction, which would be subject to Board approval. Ford Motor Company, a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures and distributes automobiles in 200 markets across six continents. With about 300,000 employees and more than 100 plants worldwide, the company’s core and affiliated automotive brands include Aston Martin, Ford, Jaguar, Land Rover, Lincoln, Mazda, Mercury and Volvo. Its automotive-related services include Ford Motor Credit Company

AdamG said:
Aston martin has the best looking coupe out there but guess what? In terms of engine performance, AM is nothing compared to Ferrari, Lambos, Porsche. All you paid for is just AM's design.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
So did this deal go through with LV?

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
I read somewhere that soem investment congolerate was about to put the former Maserati boss in head of Aston Martin and they would buy it. Read it in not the latest but the issue before that of Evo. Cant find it, grr.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nope....

gbogh3 said:
So did this deal go through with LV?
LV is out of the bidding process. There's only 4 private equity groups bidding now (all European). All of the automotive mfgr's dropped out. 'Learned this today from an AM regional rep. 'Said "but things could always change". "Stay tuned".

Dan :checkeredflag:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts