BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Gents,

All I have to say is that this system is incredible :eek:oohhh:, well made, and superbly engineered. I drove the car a couple of hundred miles after the installation and it sounds fantastic. The sound is extremely deep and intoxicating, with absolutely no rasp. The ground, concrete asphalt whatever, shakes like hell on cold start :biggrinbounce:, but soon levels off to a smooth hum. In general, the sound is loud, but I was amazed that it didn't really bother my wife. She commented on how deep the sound is and how it sounds strong and sporty; I'm just glad she didn't send me packing. She's mentioned that she can normally hear my car start, and also when I return home, but didn't even notice this time around. After the installation, I took the car to an event down south, and showed off a bit. Everyone who saw and heard it couldn't believe how nice it sounds and were impressed with the look of tail pipes. Anyway, I'm glad I went with ASR, with so many options available the decision making process was a bit overwhelming. As an engineer, it was definitely frustrating to see how expensive exhausts systems are and how little if any power gains result from the upgrades. I was let down by the fact that most companies outsource the manufacturing overseas, the material is generally cheap, and there is very little R&D. Also, piece-mealing the system was not an option for me, and I wasn't going to spend thousands of $$$ dollars on stuff made in Taiwan or otherwise using poor quality materials. All else being equal, the exhaust is lighter than stock (80lb total), has documented power gains, sounds incredible, and it's of superior quality. I'm impressed!!! :1:

Finally, Abid is great and wanted to thank him for his professionalism and accomodating me for the installation on such a short notice. I can tell you first hand, that he is straight up, no sugar coating, it's all about engineering and the results.

Thank you Abid!

In summary, if you're thinking about getting this setup, go for it, it's worh it....

Photo album for your viewing pleasure:<O:p</O:p
http://picasaweb.google.com/sphynxbluemax/ASRGenIIExhaustInstall<O:p</O:p
<O:p

I'll post a few vids once the weather clears up..

Edwin

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Great write up!! Glad you are enjoying yours as well!! 2 weeks later for me and it is actually perfect. My biggest fear was the morning's and sneaking home if I was coming in late at night...but no complaints from anyone...only compliments!! Enjoy, I know I am!!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
So did you do a pre and post dyno to quantify the gains?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Cant wait to hear that puppy pur at our meet!

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Enjoy. Good exhaust tone definitely make the ride more enjoyable:thumbsup:

I wish i could hear this system in person. Nobody in socal has itouich.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Wow..That installation shop looks familiar.:haha:

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I think the gains are there from my butt dyno...but the sound truly is incredible either way.
I had the chance to hear Rich's exhaust this weekend. I have to say that the sound is simply perfect! Hands down the best sounding system out there. Unfortunately (i) I already have my Dinan and (ii) the ASR is a tad louder than what I can live with on my car. Otherwise, I would own one.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Happy to read how much you are enjoying the ASR exhaust system.
I enjoy my M5 more and more everyday because of the exhaust. The downshifts are so stout!
Slowing down to the stop sign that 3rd to 2nd downshift is vicious and I love it.
With all the sportcars I've owned, never have I had people stop next to me and tell me how great the car sounds.

I whole heartedly recommend this exhaust system. It is sleek, lean, clean and powerful.

Hey Heath are you enjoying your new components?
:cheers: guys,
Ranger

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hello Gents,

All I have to say is that this system is incredible :eek:oohhh:, well made, and superbly engineered. I drove the car a couple of hundred miles after the installation and it sounds fantastic. The sound is extremely deep and intoxicating, with absolutely no rasp. The ground, concrete asphalt whatever, shakes like hell on cold start :biggrinbounce:, but soon levels off to a smooth hum. In general, the sound is loud, but I was amazed that it didn't really bother my wife. She commented on how deep the sound is and how it sounds strong and sporty; I'm just glad she didn't send me packing. She's mentioned that she can normally hear my car start, and also when I return home, but didn't even notice this time around. After the installation, I took the car to an event down south, and showed off a bit. Everyone who saw and heard it couldn't believe how nice it sounds and were impressed with the look of tail pipes. Anyway, I'm glad I went with ASR, with so many options available the decision making process was a bit overwhelming. As an engineer, it was definitely frustrating to see how expensive exhausts systems are and how little if any power gains result from the upgrades. I was let down by the fact that most companies outsource the manufacturing overseas, the material is generally cheap, and there is very little R&D. Also, piece-mealing the system was not an option for me, and I wasn't going to spend thousands of $$$ dollars on stuff made in Taiwan or otherwise using poor quality materials. All else being equal, the exhaust is lighter than stock (80lb total), has documented power gains, sounds incredible, and it's of superior quality. I'm impressed!!! :1:

Finally, Abid is great and wanted to thank him for his professionalism and accomodating me for the installation on such a short notice. I can tell you first hand, that he is straight up, no sugar coating, it's all about engineering and the results.

Thank you Abid!

In summary, if you're thinking about getting this setup, go for it, it's worh it....

Photo album for your viewing pleasure:<O:p</O:p
http://picasaweb.google.com/sphynxbluemax/ASRGenIIExhaustInstall<O:p</O:p
<O:p

I'll post a few vids once the weather clears up..

Edwin

Edwin you're a true gentelmen, thank you for the kind compliments they are very much appreciated. I'm glad to see you're enjoying the system and that you're happy with it. Although, we did screw up and forget to give you your free ASR M Power T-Shirt and Keychain. Let me know if you want to swing by and pick it up or we can send it to you.

To everyone else that has commented, we really appreciate the support. THANK YOU!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Anybody got inside the cabin video clips of the ASR Gen II exhaust system? I'm trying to narrow down my choices of exhaust system to go with

Thanks,

·
Registered
185 Posts
Anybody got inside the cabin video clips of the ASR Gen II exhaust system? I'm trying to narrow down my choices of exhaust system to go with

Thanks,
What systems are you looking at? If you want gains, and sound quality, thats simple. ASR Exhaust!!!

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Petrolhead this is a great system and for the price it is incredible.
The sound is unbelieveable and the rwhp gains are substancial and dyno proven.
To my knowledge there are no in car videos. I can tell you that at a sustained relaxed highway speed of 80 mph in 6th gear running 3,500 rpm gives me a perfect exhaust note.
You down shift 3 gears and gun it and every demon in hell gets released.

Ranger

·
Registered
85 Posts
For gains I know this is one of the best exhaust systems out there... but what I'm looking for is sound and something that isn't intrusive at idle or cruising speeds (let's say between 2000 and 3000 rpm), something more in the line of a muscular sound than a high pitched one.

I have heard and rode in an M5 with just the Eisenmann Race mufflers (section 3) and it is too loud (for me) and I couldn't stand the "droning" at low rpm for daily driving. For now I'm leaning more towards the Supersprint Race mufflers (section 3), from what I have heard on the various video clips out there... and maybe possibly with an X-pipe (section 2) upgrade later on, if the sound is too low for me.

The ASR Gen II exhaust system sounds pretty loud... I saw the clip with M5Ranger's car (especially at the end of the clip with the camera mounted on the trunk of the car... amazing loud sound), but I wanted to know how it sounds from the inside of the car, because that's what's most important to me, don't want any droning or very loud noise at cruising speeds, but I don't mind the loudness at WOT :)

just a couple more comparison questions... How much louder is your system during cold start idling than the stock exhaust, is it "insanely" loud like an Eisenmann race at startup? And at "regular/hot" idling compared to the stock exhaust.

Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
169 Posts
I wont be getting my beast til spring, but I think I'm going to place an order for a non existing, Wife doesnt know yet soon to be car.. I keep repeating the vid of LIFES2GUD's ride on youtube. The exhaust note is sort of hypnotizing.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts