BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been feverishly working to complete our prototype CAI for the E60 M5's and hope to have the CAI for the E63 M6's completed shortly thereafter. The following pics are just a sample of what the kit will look like. Keep in mind that all of the materials you see are raw and not finished except for the billet cnc'd air mass meter housing and air pump fitting. Notice our system still utilizes the stock air pump for cold start. Also, the filter in the pic is not the one we are using in the actual kit. As I stated before, we are using a Stainless Steel 200 Micron Filter with a 100 Micron crown. You guys will also notice a pic of the water bypass valve (the one with the braided nitrous line next to it) that is designed to keep the engine from ingesting any water.

We still need to finish CNC'ing the coolant lines reservoir bracket and the windshield wiper reservoir bracket. If all works out well we should have the car ready to dyno in about 2 weeks. By the way, this intake will also work with our nitrous packages. We haven't decided on a color for piping as of yet. We think a polished shiny finish will look too Japanese, so we may end up powder coating it in gunmetal. Let us know what you guys think. Feedback, be it positive or negative, is welcome!

Attachments

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We really don't want to give hp numbers until we are done with the R&D and dyno testing. Although, this system is not really designed to see hp gains only at highway speeds. You should see a pretty descent difference on the dyno as well. We will test the car with a stock intake, charcoal filters removed, vs our system to give true hp figures to the wheels.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
subscribed

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Carbon fiber is something we're planning on working with, but it will depend on manufacturing costs. We would like to offer it in CF but keep in mind it will only increase the retail cost too. Once we get the final pieces finshed, we will be get pricing on carbon fiber as well. At that point we will let the customers know what the final retail price will be and determine if it's within a price point that is feasable. Once the system is completed we will be offereing a group buy on this board.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Wow, interesting. Front of the car looks a little goofy though IMO with that air filter just floating there. I wonder how that is going to affect getting cool air to the radiator. Can't wait to see some dyno numbers!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I am concerned about the placement of the filter in front of the radiator for 2 reasons.

1. Blocking the cooling air from hitting radiator causing potential increase engine heat.

2. Rain will flow directly to the air filter through the grill. How well will a wet filter work?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We have already tested the car with the filters tied in place. Even with the heat and humidity we sustain with our Miami weather, it had absolutely no effect on engine temps. This test was done just last week during 2 full fuel tank refills. Belive me, it looks a lot nicer and more agressive with the kidneys in place and a stainless steel filter behind it.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
We have already tested the car with the filters tied in place. Even with the heat and humidity we sustain with our Miami weather, it had absolutely no effect on engine temps. This test was done just last week during 2 full fuel tank refills. Belive me, it looks a lot nicer and more agressive with the kidneys in place and a stainless steel filter behind it.
i kind of figured that since the rpi scoops do not cause any problems it is the rain issue that most concerns me.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Can't wait to see the dyno. Any idea on a rough price point for this? Also, there will be filters behind each kidney, correct?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I am concerned about the placement of the filter in front of the radiator for 2 reasons.

1. Blocking the cooling air from hitting radiator causing potential increase engine heat.

2. Rain will flow directly to the air filter through the grill. How well will a wet filter work?
1. Look at my previous post regarding the coolant temps.

2. As for your concern about the filter getting wet it is a valid one, this is why we use
stainless mesh filter. It doesn't absorb water and stay wet like a paper
or cloth filter. If water happens to go through, there is a water bypass
implamented to keep from engesting water into the engine. Your stock
filter also gets wet during the rain, but because of the air volume and
heat usually disipates before entering the intake.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
So the avg. Guy will either

A) Not be able to do it.

B) Take him 4 hrs.

C) Pay someone to replace just the filters at $200?
It shouldn't take the average guy 4 hrs to do the install, more like maybe 2.5. Even if you had to pay a shop to do the install, the system would still cost far less than a gruppe m or dinan.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I don't know... looks like you guys want to lay a lot of pipe in our girls...

Where's the bung for the juice? Will the delivery system change when used with this CAI?

1 - 20 of 84 Posts