BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently posted a thread about my newly acquired Stoptech 380mm Sport Trophy Kit prior to installation. I've had the BBK installed on the car for a little over a week now and I've had mixed feelings regarding the kit. I'm currently super happy with the upgrade though..............:flag:

Justin at Evosport and I did the install and it was a very straight forward and easy process. We did encounter one problem though. The right rear brake line wouldn't seal right where it meets the OEM hardline, so Justin had to re-flare the hardline to get a proper tight seal and fit. Luckily all the right tools and competence was at hand at Evosport, so the problem was only a minor setback. I would have been lost trying to solve this problem if I would have taken on this job at home.
So the seal was good and we got the system flushed and bled. Next it was time to bed in the pads and rotors, so we took the car out and started to go at it. To our surprise there was an odd noise coming from the front left brake. It was a loud thump as if something was catching on rotation. We were puzzled by this and went back to disassembled the front left so we could inspect closer. No signs of anything not right. Hmmm, weird! I called Stoptech and they confirmed that because of their new rotor tooling some rotors were known to make this "catching" noise in some instances. An hours worth of driving and the noise was gone.:applause:

So now that I've had a chance to live with the kit for a while I have to say the system feels pretty good. The brakes do seem to stop very well at all levels of speed. One thing I could complain about is the pedal feel. The pedal seems to need a much harder push than the OEM system, and took a little while getting used to. The first 1/4 of the pedal does nearly nothing to slow you down, but the other 3/4 are very effective. You do have to apply more pressure, but I does seem to help with modulation as you have to use more effort. Has anyone had similar experiences in pedal feel when switching from OEM to Stoptech systems?

I also had some vibration issues, but we narrowed that down to poorly balanced wheels. My Hartge Classic II's had been away for paint, so it was easy to eliminate the suspicion of badly balanced rotors. Once the wheels got balanced properly everything was dandy!:biggrin:

I had to run my OEM wheels while balancing my 20 inch Hartge's. I was happy to find that the OEM wheels fit the BBK without any spacers.

Here's the weight and specs again for those who might have missed my previous thread (weight is probably not 100% accurate though):

Front:
380x35mm cross drilled rotors
STR-60 6 piston forged aluminum calipers
Standard Stoptech street pads

Rear:
380x32mm cross drilled rotors
STR-40 4 piston forged aluminum calipers
Standard Stoptech street pads

The calipers are supposed to be 20% lighter than the standard Stoptech calipers and only come in the raw forged aluminum look which looks absolutely gorgeous.

Front rotor+hat. 22 1/2lbs
Front caliper. 8lbs
Front pads. 1 1/4lbs
Front bracket. 1lbs

Front total 32 3/4lbs (per axle)

Rear rotor+hat. 22 1/2lbs
Rear caliper. 6lbs
Rear pads. 3/4lbs
Rear brackets. 1lbs

Rear total 30 1/4lbs (per axle)

Here are the pics of the install (and a few others):haha:

I ordered cross drilled rotor as opposed to the standard Trophy Kit slotted rotors to save some weight.

Pretty front rotor and caliper combo.

6 piston caliper closeup with the pins removed.

Justin tightens the pins after installing the pads.

Rear left brake before the pads are in place.

Rear left brake install complete.

My race car was under the knife too, so it was a joy to see two of my cars on the lifts side by side.

Test fitting the freshly painted two tone Hartge Classic II's

M5 back on the ground ready for test drive.

Wheel and caliper closeup.

I went to Willow Springs on Saturday and took some photos by the garages.

More pics from Willow Springs at dusk.

I'm really happy with how the Hartge Classic II's turned out. They look like a completely different wheel with a nice modern look that suit the E60 perfectly IMO.

A big thanks to Stoptech, Hartge and Evosport for great products and service.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Wow, that's one really nice beast you've got there:goldcup:

·
Registered
472 Posts
Thanks for the write up - brakes are in my radar and these were in scope - but damn they are expensive but after some "oopps" moments I think I need them. Daft question but compared to OEM do these stop sooner or is endurance the benefit of this kit?

Is that a rear diffuser?

and the alloys work - 20" Classic II's are again on the wishlist and I was going to get gloss black on them but your polished face has give me pause for thought.

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Awesome looking brakes. I have the same experience with my Brembos with the pedal feel. Seems like they're not as grabby as the OEM brakes and I was worried about it until I confirmed with my shop which also has Brembos on their M5 and they said that's natural. The main benefit is realized more through repeated brake use like on a track.

The Hartges look great and definitely more unique with the new finish. I wonder though, why you'd use them when they are pretty heavy wheels compared to most other offerings out there. It seems like weight savings is important to you.

Oh and BTW, so you're Rune Glifberg? :)

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Danish-M,

Damn, those have to easily be the nicest looking calipers I have seen in quite a long time. If I ever have the money & space to put them on my beast, I most certainly will... ! ;)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for the late reply guys. I've had a hectic travel schedule lately, so I haven't been able to check the board.:typing:
Thanks for all the nice comments and positive feedback!:cheers:

Awesome looking brakes. I have the same experience with my Brembos with the pedal feel. Seems like they're not as grabby as the OEM brakes and I was worried about it until I confirmed with my shop which also has Brembos on their M5 and they said that's natural. The main benefit is realized more through repeated brake use like on a track.

The Hartges look great and definitely more unique with the new finish. I wonder though, why you'd use them when they are pretty heavy wheels compared to most other offerings out there. It seems like weight savings is important to you.

Oh and BTW, so you're Rune Glifberg? :)
Yes............. You like skateboarding?
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who is experiencing a less touchy pedal.

Thanks for the write up - brakes are in my radar and these were in scope - but damn they are expensive but after some "oopps" moments I think I need them. Daft question but compared to OEM do these stop sooner or is endurance the benefit of this kit?

Is that a rear diffuser?
Yes, Vorsteiner carbon fiber rear diffuser. The main benefit of the StopTech kit is endurance.............. Same goes for any other BBK.

Danish-M

Mind me asking what color you've had your hartge's painted in, cause im having mine refurbished as well and can't decide on color, but after seeing this i think i know how to have them painted, it looks very cool and different.

På forhånd tak
The Hartge's were painted black inside the "windows", and silver on the "face". I was thinking of leaving the rivets unpainted for more of a contrast on the wheel, but decided against it for a cleaner look. You might want to consider black with a red pinstripe and red rivets. A member on here had a fantastic looking black/red Classic II's for sale here on the board. Search for those..................... Stunning!!

BTW, were you traveling back from Sweden through Øresundsbroen on Saturday night? (9-10pm) I passed a black M5 in my mother in law's Nissan.:hihi: I was in a rush, so I was driving a bit too fast:sad2:

Selv tak.:denmark:

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Yes............. You like skateboarding?
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who is experiencing a less touchy pedal.
I haven't touched a skateboard for probably over 20 years and even then I sucked at it. haha
I should have recognized the white M5 here and the one on the ads in the car magazines with you standing next to it. :)

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Regarding: "Daft question but compared to OEM do these stop sooner or is endurance the benefit of this kit?"

I would say a huge kit like this definetly improve braking at very high speeds. Try slamming the brakes at 140 mph and the ABS will kick in quite fast. That will not happen on your stock brakes. It is a very nice and safe feeling to have OVERPOWERED brakes :

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi Danish-M,

Must say you have a you have a great M5! (and brakes) I see that you have painted the inside of your Hartge Classic wheels and the screws as well, one question; How did you paint the little screws in the wheels? I have the same rims painted black on my M6 convertible and can't find the screws in black. Hartge doesn't sell them. I am a bit sceared if I powdercoat the head of the srews, that they don't fit anymore.

I'm very curious how you did this. Thanks!

Roy

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Danish-M,

Must say you have a you have a great M5! (and brakes) I see that you have painted the inside of your Hartge Classic wheels and the screws as well, one question; How did you paint the little screws in the wheels? I have the same rims painted black on my M6 convertible and can't find the screws in black. Hartge doesn't sell them. I am a bit sceared if I powdercoat the head of the srews, that they don't fit anymore.

I'm very curious how you did this. Thanks!

Roy
We just painted the wheels with the rivets in place. Not sure how that would work when powder coating though........................ You are always gonna have a huge challenge reinstalling the rivets without scratching them if you paint or powdercoat them separate from the wheel.

Good luck...............:cheers:

·
Registered
83 Posts
The Brakes look great. How much extra was the Trophy Edition? Did you get the Zinc Rotors? I'm about to upgrade to a BBK.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Love the StopTech setup, RG.

·
Registered
407 Posts
The wheels really did it for me. Looks just stunning. Great job. Brakes are orgasmic and everything just flows. Seriously, good job. :applause::clap::M5thumbs:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts