BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,
As many of you are aware, Dinan now implements the use of what is referred to as the "Dinan Sock" over the Dinan CAI air filter. This sock helps to repel water away from the air filter, in the event of a heavy duty/large splash of water while driving. I have this sock installed in my wife's 540i which has the Dinan CAI setup. The Dinan M5 CAI system DOES NOT utilize the water repelling nylon sock. The Dinan tech stated that he NEVER installed the sock to any M5 having the Dinan CAI, notever! He said there's no need for it! Do any M5 owners have the Dinan sock with their CAI system??? Just curious why this is. Any thoughts on this?
Thank you.

·
10,445 Posts
FAST 5 said:
Hi Guys,
As many of you are aware, Dinan now implements the use of what is referred to as the "Dinan Sock" over the Dinan CAI air filter. This sock helps to repel water away from the air filter, in the event of a heavy duty/large splash of water while driving. I have this sock installed in my wife's 540i which has the Dinan CAI setup. The Dinan M5 CAI system DOES NOT utilize the water repelling nylon sock. The Dinan tech stated that he NEVER installed the sock to any M5 having the Dinan CAI, notever! He said there's no need for it! Do any M5 owners have the Dinan sock with their CAI system??? Just curious why this is. Any thoughts on this?
Thank you.
Robert,
It depends on which version of the dinan M5 cai you have. There is an older version, and an updated version. The updated version has some baffles and open fog lamp openings, which supposedly keep hot engine compartmnet air and water, away from the filters. My M5 has this version, i installed it myself and it seems pretty well designed. If you submerge the front bumper, you'll obviously submerge the filters, but the typical rain / splash water should be kept away from the filters. I asked my dinan rep about the filter socks, since they weren't in my kit (they are on the filters that dinan has on display at their mountain view, ca. facility). He said they are not needed with the baffles, but he didn't say they were never part of the m5 kit previously.
Mike

·
Registered
754 Posts
I had my Dinan CAI installed this past September and the Tech said the latest CAI version for the M5 does not require the filter socks because they are completely protected from water coming into the filter box.
He said this is achieved with the baffles entering the filter box that reflect the water away from the filter.
Because my M5 is not a daily dirver and I live in the desert, I have not given this any thought until reading your post.
I'm curious to see other Dinan CAI owners thoughts concerning this matter.

FAST 5 said:
Hi Guys,
Thank you.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
good to hear that Stevie D stopped using his filter condom...they finally upgraded to the baffle system that AA has been using in their setup for about 2 years now.

Robert..congrats on the upgrade though man!

B

·
0 Posts
My Dinan CAI is the older version, that has been upgraded with the baffles, but does not have the fog-light openings that are part of the latest kit. When I changed the filters, I purchased the socks and added them to the system. I see no harm in adding them, and they do provide additional protection in the event water does get in. The area behind the front bumper is not a sealed environment, and I don't wan't to take any chances, especially when the socks cost virtually nothing to add.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
797 Posts
FAST 5 said:
The Dinan M5 CAI system DOES NOT utilize the water repelling nylon sock. The Dinan tech stated that he NEVER installed the sock to any M5 having the Dinan CAI, notever! He said there's no need for it! Do any M5 owners have the Dinan sock with their CAI system??? Just curious why this is. Any thoughts on this?
Thank you.
I have it on mine. It came with the CAI kit when I did my S2. I would ask the tech to install it as it does help protect the filters from water and other driving detritous.

I also have the foglight kit/baffles. But I agree with Daniel that there's no reason not to use the socks.

How do you like the S2 so far Robert?
Jeff :cheers:

·
Registered
444 Posts
I also have both the filter socks and the open foglight covers/water baffles. The foglight/water baffles were added after the original install.

My E36 race car has a Dinan CAI kit, and also uses the sock.

Regards, Dick Roberts

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Guys. Im now in the S2 club !

Hi Renn,
Hello Jeff,
regarding the S2 package, I can say this, it transformed the car 110%. "CHUCKC" of California PM-ed me earlier, and asked me the same question on how I like the car, now that its a S2 M5. I will tell you guys the same thing...........
The characteristics of the car are totally different, than when it was stock. Its dramatic difference, NOT SUTTLE at all! I went into this project (getting the S2 package not knowing what to expect) being very neutral, since I heard various anti Dinan and anti S2 package remarks for the past several months, but I also heard numerous positive comments as well. So, I had no idea what to expect, when my car was done. One can say, I wasn't pro or negative on the S2 package when having it done to my car. I just didn't know what to expect, period! I got the car back only yesterday, and took the car for a mild drive. All I can say is oooh my God...................
The F-ing car just wants to pull, pull and still keep pulling...........
I recall a few guys making remarks saying that the S2 package was hype or over blown or just not worth doing since the gains were minimal and not worth the asking price, well I say to them HUMBUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You guys are full of it! Why these type of remarks were made I have no idea but I can say this, for a N/A engine, its the real deal! The Dinan tech told me to take it easy on the car when shifting since my car only has 5700 miles on the clock and they changed the stock flywheel over the the lightened flywheel, so the new flywheel has to settle or become broken in with time, intead of getting hammered by doing hard power shifts. The tech stated, it would take approx. 1000 miles for the new Dinan flywheel to be properly broken in. Here's a test for you S2 guys (this is what I did in my short test drive) set the DSC off, set the SPORT button on, drive on a clear road/highway in fourth gear doing approx. 85 MPH, then smash the gas pedal to the floor and see what happens. :1:
I will say this, just be ready for what is about to happen, hold on and be careful. You'll have a huge grin on your face, even when the test is over! :15:
I'll probably write my full impressions shortly down the road, when I can completely experience the car for what it is, once its a bit broken in.
Last thing, my Dinan tech told me that my car is probably the most powerful S2 M5 he has ever driven! He told me that he has done over "27" S2 M5 conversions, not including Z8 S2 conversions, and that my car is the most powerful S2 he has ever test driven! His exact words were, "I GOT ONE OF THE GOOD ONES"! I know this person to be a straight shooter , so I know he wasn't just saying this to blow smoke up my hole (if you know what I mean) he a serious kind of guy, some may even say he a bit of a stiff, which is not the type to talk BS talk, simply for the sake of talking BS talk. Based on this, I might have lucked out and gotten one of the more powerful M5 engines, instead of the weaker motor, which have been discussed here on the message board. Maybe thats why I experienced the car pulling like an animal !?!?!!! Your comments are welcome.
Thank you.
Robert :cheers:

·
Registered
797 Posts
Re: Thanks Guys. Im now in the S2 club !

FAST 5 said:
Here's a test for you S2 guys (this is what I did in my short test drive) set the DSC off, set the SPORT button on, drive on a clear road/highway in fourth gear doing approx. 85 MPH, then smash the gas pedal to the floor and see what happens. :1:
Robert. I know EXACTLY what you mean. Your impressions of the S2 are the same as mine after I did the conversion.

Now, go get yours Dynoed so we can compare.

Jeff :cheers:

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Is it possible that those who have the water repelling socks had these socks put onto their car, prior to Dinan revising the CAI kit and their view of the CAI setup? The newer kits don't require the socks due to revised installation policy? what do you think?
Robert :)

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Re: Thanks Guys. Im now in the S2 club !

FAST 5 said:
Hi Renn,
Hello Jeff,
regarding the S2 package, I can say this, it transformed the car 110%. "CHUCKC" of California PM-ed me earlier, and asked me the same question on how I like the car, now that its a S2 M5. I will tell you guys the same thing...........
The characteristics of the car are totally different, than when it was stock. Its dramatic difference, NOT SUTTLE at all! I went into this project (getting the S2 package not knowing what to expect) being very neutral, since I heard various anti Dinan and anti S2 package remarks for the past several months, but I also heard numerous positive comments as well. So, I had no idea what to expect, when my car was done. One can say, I wasn't pro or negative on the S2 package when having it done to my car. I just didn't know what to expect, period! I got the car back only yesterday, and took the car for a mild drive. All I can say is oooh my God...................
The F-ing car just wants to pull, pull and still keep pulling...........
I recall a few guys making remarks saying that the S2 package was hype or over blown or just not worth doing since the gains were minimal and not worth the asking price, well I say to them HUMBUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You guys are full of it! Why these type of remarks were made I have no idea but I can say this, for a N/A engine, its the real deal! The Dinan tech told me to take it easy on the car when shifting since my car only has 5700 miles on the clock and they changed the stock flywheel over the the lightened flywheel, so the new flywheel has to settle or become broken in with time, intead of getting hammered by doing hard power shifts. The tech stated, it would take approx. 1000 miles for the new Dinan flywheel to be properly broken in. Here's a test for you S2 guys (this is what I did in my short test drive) set the DSC off, set the SPORT button on, drive on a clear road/highway in fourth gear doing approx. 85 MPH, then smash the gas pedal to the floor and see what happens. :1:
I will say this, just be ready for what is about to happen, hold on and be careful. You'll have a huge grin on your face, even when the test is over! :15:
I'll probably write my full impressions shortly down the road, when I can completely experience the car for what it is, once its a bit broken in.
Last thing, my Dinan tech told me that my car is probably the most powerful S2 M5 he has ever driven! He told me that he has done over "27" S2 M5 conversions, not including Z8 S2 conversions, and that my car is the most powerful S2 he has ever test driven! His exact words were, "I GOT ONE OF THE GOOD ONES"! I know this person to be a straight shooter , so I know he wasn't just saying this to blow smoke up my hole (if you know what I mean) he a serious kind of guy, some may even say he a bit of a stiff, which is not the type to talk BS talk, simply for the sake of talking BS talk. Based on this, I might have lucked out and gotten one of the more powerful M5 engines, instead of the weaker motor, which have been discussed here on the message board. Maybe thats why I experienced the car pulling like an animal !?!?!!! Your comments are welcome.
Thank you.
Robert :cheers:
Robert, thanks for your summary of your S2. I was on fence with this conversion, like you, I was neither for nor against after reading all the threads concerning the S2 conversion. You've "pushed" me to the "right" side. Now my search begins for a Dinan dealer in the NYC area.
Simon

·
10,445 Posts
FAST 5 said:
Is it possible that those who have the water repelling socks had these socks put onto their car, prior to Dinan revising the CAI kit and their view of the CAI setup? The newer kits don't require the socks due to revised installation policy? what do you think?
Robert :)
Robert, i don't completely understand the question here, but the socks are "water repelant", so minor splashes to the filter area on the older, non-baffled system wouldn't soak the filter. In the current kit, there is a 'U' shapped baffle, imagine the U on it's side, with the opening facing the open part of the fog lamp opening. It is bent down, so water enters the U, and gets caught, and drains out of the bottom. There should be a gap, maybe 1/4" between the front of the U shapped baffle and the bumper/fog lamp area, so air will flow around the U, and get to the filter.

mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts