BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My beast arrived today from the armoring company and here are some pictures...

Because the windows were changed, my HUD now has a light shade behind it as you can see in the photos... The car now has a communication device that allows me to talk to someone outside without opening the window or door and the buttons to operate this sistem are fixed in the driver's seat. It also has a siren in case i get into troube.:1zhelp:

The other button located below the dasboard near the brake pedal is a sistem that i can use to lock the windows from going down... its hidden because of valet guys, not that im going to give the car to them, but anyway...

In the pictures you can also see that the tweeters in the front doors are fitted togheter with the overlap ballistic protection.

You can see that the buttons for opening the back windows don't exist anymore, since they dont open anymore... everything else is normal... except for the added weight of 185kg...:mad: How much? U$$35.000,00+ :deal:

I'll post about the straight acceleration, handling and braking changes later... i want to drive it a little longer before i comment on those.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Gotta love life in Brazil. I've been pushing my father to armor his S-class in Nigeria, but seems to fall on deaf ears. Very nicely done.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DucatiBMW said:
what do you do when your outside the car? body guards? Glock? D.E.? AR15? any protection on the wheels?

Bill
I carry one .44 magnum always with me and i have one AK47 in the trunk...J/K... When out of the car you have no protection, you have to be very careful and try to stay always alert. The hole ideia of armored cars in Brasil, (the largerst fleet of bulletproof cars is here) is to avoid getting into trouble on the streets, expecialy at stoplights. Here we have a lot of grand theft auto, and many times people get killed in these thefts.. Since im 19 years old, my dad didnt let me cruise around with my beast and decided to armor it.

Yes the wheels get a light aluminium belt that wont let the tire let loose from the whell, so you can keep on going in case of a blown tire by a shot. NOTE that the wheel may get destroyed if a long journey is covered, this is just in case of emergency...

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Exactly....have the 44 ready to go. You get the M6 Wheel option in Brazil?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bmw1986 said:
Exactly....have the 44 ready to go. You get the M6 Wheel option in Brazil?
Yes, my car was the first one here in Brazil with the M6 wheel option. BTW i was just kidding about the guns... Its forbidden by law to carry guns here. Only the bad guys have them...:grrrrr: ouich :1zhelp:

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Holy crap!

This post was bad for Brazilian tourism! I am never going there now, I don't care how awesome/frisky the chicks are!

I was on the fence after a business associate got robbed at a light in a taxi (all jewlery and cash on him), but this takes the cake.

:eek:

·
Registered
370 Posts
I am upset with you done with the M, but it is your choice. I know what you are talking about (violence), your father's precaution ... but do you use the M daily???

·
Registered
469 Posts
Alex, I have been following your journey in e60.net and fully understand your rationale behind not armoring an M, it is after all a high performance vehicle. Now, suppose you were given the choice of keeping the car or selling it and getting something else armored, what would you do? ;) He will undoubtedly lose acceleration and handling ability, but at least he will now feel safe. He should have thought more about this before buying the M5 though.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Brazil.
It may be dangerous, but it's still one country I would like to visit. I know a bunch of Brazilian people and they are some of the most beautiful and friendly people in the world.

·
Company Representative of RPI Power
3,395 Posts
7 speed SMG said:
You can see that the buttons for opening the back windows don't exist anymore, since they dont open anymore... everything else is normal... except for the added weight of 185kg...:mad: How much? U$$35.000,00+ :deal:

I'll post about the straight acceleration, handling and braking changes later... i want to drive it a little longer before i comment on those.
Wow, that is IMPRESSIVELY light for armor protection. I don't think I've ever seen one gain that little weight.

·
Registered
714 Posts
i was thinking the same. 185kg is not bad at all.
good job. sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
hope u never have to test it out.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
I doubt for that modest weight gain that the protection is to full VR4 standards. Nonetheless it buys time that is crucial in the event of an attack. Sad to hear this is necessary but I guess if you want to drive an M5 in Sao Paolo this is the price you must pay :dunno:

I wonder whether BMW would offer a "protection" version of the M5 via their security vehicles division. I know that they do this for the regular 5 series:

http://www.bmw-ids.com/5sec.html

The cost, however, is horrendous hmmm

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alex.br said:
I am upset with you done with the M, but it is your choice. I know what you are talking about (violence), your father's precaution ... but do you use the M daily???
Definately not my choice. This was my DAD's Choice. I tryied to do everything in my power to change his mind and failed to succed. What he keeps saying to me is that i will understand this when i have my son.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts
About this Discussion
142 Replies
75 Participants
cram820
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing