BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) What is the purpose of the air vent in there?
2) Anyone sell and/or make a LED Light for it? I needed to get something out of it tonight and had a hard time even with the interior lights to see inside there. I would like to see a triggered switch when it open to a certain point, the light turns on. Where would be the best source for power to tap into and not cause any ill effects?

·
Registered
927 Posts
2) Anyone sell and/or make a LED Light for it? I needed to get something out of it tonight and had a hard time even with the interior lights to see inside there. I would like to see a triggered switch when it open to a certain point, the light turns on. Where would be the best source for power to tap into and not cause any ill effects?
Are you talking about the light inside the glove box? If so we have the LED light for that...if you JUST want that one piece light it's 12 shipped.

·
Registered
112 Posts
It is suppose to be a beverage cooler, it fits a 12oz. can of soda. For example if you are driving out of town, you can put a drink in there, open the vent, and it will keep it cold for you to enjoy later.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you talking about the light inside the glove box? If so we have the LED light for that...if you JUST want that one piece light it's 12 shipped.
Joe, I am talking about the arm rest "enclosure", not the actual "glove box.

It is suppose to be a beverage cooler, it fits a 12oz. can of soda. For example if you are driving out of town, you can put a drink in there, open the vent, and it will keep it cold for you to enjoy later.
bonus.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
never noticed any vent in my armrest box...

is this a 06/07 m5 feature and not a LCI/08+ ?

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
never noticed any vent in my armrest box...

is this a 06/07 m5 feature and not a LCI/08+ ?
Check in the storage space under your armrest (the opening button is near the iDrive knob on our 06 - on the side of the little ridge that is between the passenger side and the iDrive knob).

When you open that top cover, then there is a small compartment that you can either open (typically where the phone's will "Dock") or you can lift this entire thing up to reveal a larger compartment down below. Near the front of the larger, lower compartment should be a little slider that you can slide up or down to open or close the vent.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
When you open that top cover, then there is a small compartment that you can either open (typically where the phone's will "Dock") or you can lift this entire thing up to reveal a larger compartment down below. Near the front of the larger, lower compartment should be a little slider that you can slide up or down to open or close the vent.
hmm, i will investigate! always learning new little details about my car...

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll snap a picture of my (2006) vent at lunch time and post pic.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
This is a pic of the lower compartment, if you notice on the left side of the compartment there is a little knob thing, that is the slider to open/close the vent
well then nope, i don't think i have it. Where your vent is, my ipod/usb connection is. I have a small opening on the right side, just like in your pic.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
In my previously leased 2008 black M5, that a/c vent did not exist. That place was the connection for my factory installed iPod connection USB slot.

However, in my current 2008 Indy Red M5, the a/c vent is present and my Vehicle does not have the factory integrated iPod.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I test drove about 11 different 06'-07' 550i's before deciding on mine and all of them had the vent but iPod wasn't a factory option. I had to install it later in the glove box in place of the cd changer. That's interesting, so on 08'+ you're choosing between iPod or cooler in the arm rest

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
so on 08'+ you're choosing between iPod or cooler in the arm rest
yup, i guess. ipod integration kit hands down. BMW finally made it a option where they didn't have to install it after the fact and drill/wire things in...about time too

·
Registered
112 Posts
yup, i guess. ipod integration kit hands down. BMW finally made it a option where they didn't have to install it after the fact and drill/wire things in...about time too
It's an extremely easy install to do afterwards, absolutely zero drilling or wiring, all you have to do is unplug one existing cord then plug it into the iPod interface. Seems like a good plan to get one without the pre-integrated iPod and have the best of both worlds. Cooler in the armrest, integrated iPod in the glove box.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts