BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm a new M5 owner and just found this board...hoping to get some help/advice...

Just been stung with my first major problem....after just 2 months!

I have a 2006 E60 M5 Saloon and upon purchase I noticed when I started the car it would squeal when turning the wheels whilst it was standing still warming up. I checked the power steering fluid and it was fairly low. Presumed it must have been low when I bought it. I topped it up with the power steering fluid given to me by the dealer. The noise stopped, few weeks later it started again so i checked the fluid and it was gone again! Topped it up...and again same process! However....it has been stood still for couple of weeks now and theres no leak on my floor?! and the fluid has gone again.

Any ideas where its going or what could be the problem??

Car was due for brake fluid so took it to the dealer and asked them to check out the problem and told them my warranty from a 3rd party should cover the repair. Dealer informed me i needed a new steering rack and its £2300 for the job! Now...I'm not sure if it does really as it seems extreme for a previous lady owned car with 50k on the clock! I'm hoping it's just a seal/minor leak and they've suggested new steering rack because they knew my warranty will pay for it (problem here....as it transpires the warranty won't cover steering rack, but i haven't mentioned that to the dealer yet). I've got it booked in at a local non dealer garage to see what they come up with it but on this hand....I don't want them to just tell me its a minor thing, when it MAY really need a steering rack and im doing 100mph and the steering rack collapses! Having a right nightmare.

oh also....£2300 for a steering rack!? does this seem reasonable? I got few prices for a steering rack alone and its £200-300 so £2000 for labour!? is it a major job???

If anybody can help with this I would really appreciate it! As I've only had it 2 months and I'm going to cry if I have to spend £2300 after covering 300 miles!! :grrrrr:

·
Registered
91 Posts
How come the warranty doesn't cover the rack?

In any case, doesn't UK law state that a minimum of 3 months warranty by the supplying dealer? Unless you bought privately of course....in which case you might be fooked.

As for the labour...I can't say for sure, but I do imagine changing the rack is quite an involved job, and BMW labour rates are not the cheapest.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Generally if the leak is from a seal in the rack, then the labor required to disassemble the rack and repair the seal is more costly than just buying a new rack. I'm not sure on the labor to R&R the rack, but 2000 pounds sounds like quite a bit. That's worth getting a couple of different estimates and compare them with respect to parts cost, labor hours, and labor rate. PS don't let the power steering keep running dry, as long as it is leaking top it up every day, or you will end up having to buy a pump soon too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Warranty are claiming that as it's a leak, they don't cover it...which to be fair it does state that, but...my arguement is the dodgy rack has caused the leak...not the leak causing the rack to be dodgy!...but anyway....

Yeah thats what i thought....£2300 seems very extreme when for all I know it could be just a seal. Either way...got it booked in for couple of days time at a different garage, and i've explained the situation so I'll see what they come back with. If it is just a seal, then their labour rates are going to be a 1/3 of BMW at least lol. Either way....if it does need the new rack...i dont fancy paying that much :(

Thanks for the tip about the running dry. I haven't drove it since it went in for the brake fluid, and I don't plan on doing so either until its fixed! :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any ideas on where the fluid could be going?? It never drips out onto my drive so can it be the case that i've got about 3 litres sat on my under tray :S

·
Registered
472 Posts
Welcome to the board - you will normally find answers here but try the search function as well.

I can't comment as I have not seen this problem but assume the garage you have it with have checked the cap and pipes for leaks? The cap has to be the main escape route for leaks so are there any signs of residue there?

In any case replacing the whole steering rack seems overboard.

BTW - the beast will cost - you are going to have to accept it - get used to stealers using the word "grand" in their reply if you go to them for a quote - wait till you have to change the brakes!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hey guys I'm a new M5 owner and just found this board...hoping to get some help/advice...

Just been stung with my first major problem....after just 2 months!

I have a 2006 E60 M5 Saloon and upon purchase I noticed when I started the car it would squeal when turning the wheels whilst it was standing still warming up. I checked the power steering fluid and it was fairly low. Presumed it must have been low when I bought it. I topped it up with the power steering fluid given to me by the dealer. The noise stopped, few weeks later it started again so i checked the fluid and it was gone again! Topped it up...and again same process! However....it has been stood still for couple of weeks now and theres no leak on my floor?! and the fluid has gone again.

Any ideas where its going or what could be the problem??

Car was due for brake fluid so took it to the dealer and asked them to check out the problem and told them my warranty from a 3rd party should cover the repair. Dealer informed me i needed a new steering rack and its £2300 for the job! Now...I'm not sure if it does really as it seems extreme for a previous lady owned car with 50k on the clock! I'm hoping it's just a seal/minor leak and they've suggested new steering rack because they knew my warranty will pay for it (problem here....as it transpires the warranty won't cover steering rack, but i haven't mentioned that to the dealer yet). I've got it booked in at a local non dealer garage to see what they come up with it but on this hand....I don't want them to just tell me its a minor thing, when it MAY really need a steering rack and im doing 100mph and the steering rack collapses! Having a right nightmare.

oh also....£2300 for a steering rack!? does this seem reasonable? I got few prices for a steering rack alone and its £200-300 so £2000 for labour!? is it a major job???

If anybody can help with this I would really appreciate it! As I've only had it 2 months and I'm going to cry if I have to spend £2300 after covering 300 miles!! :grrrrr:
Hi -

Did you ever get this issue resolved? My 2007 M5 is currently at the dealership for the same issue. My symptons were the same as yours and my service advisor just told me that they have to replace the steering rack. Fortunately - my car is CPO so it's cover under warranty. Hopefully - the fix will work.

Kiet

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes eventually sorted it by getting te steering wheel rack reconditioned. I was a bit dubious at the start but when I got the rack back it was like brand new literally. Best £150 I spent!

What is CPO?

If you get stuck let me know and I will give you full details of how I went about mine.

·
Registered
170 Posts
CPO is certified pre-owned. This is BMW extended warranty until 6years or 100k miles, whichever comes first. My service tech said that it's covered. All I should have to pay is the $50 deductible. I'll let you know how things turn out.

Kiet

·
Registered
445 Posts
I actually just got my car back from the dealer for the same reason. After filling up the fluid on 3 seperate times i took it to the dealer and it was leaking into the actual rack but it only does when your driving the car. Dont know why but it was all covered under warrenty they replaced the sterring gear and did a alignment. Total for it all after it was done totaled $6000+

·
Registered
170 Posts
Picked up my car from the dealership this past Friday. It turned out they had to replace the Hydro Steering Gear (p/n 32102283767). This part alone cost $1900. They also had to do a 4 wheel alignment afterward. So this appeared to be a huge job. All in all - I think the total cost for this job is $5 - $6K. So glad for my CPO warranty.

Part #1 from realoem.com

RealOEM.com   BMW E60 M5 Hydro steering box

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
who did you send your rack to to have it rebuilt?
A company based in England - I see you're from USA so no harm in asking them about shipping charges. I do not have the details to hand but it is a company called PSR in Huddersfield, UK.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts