BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states... are your modifications listed with your car insurance? :dunno: Last thing I want to happen is get hit or hit someone and have either insurance company tell me I should have had them listed.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I was under the impression that listing them would cause your insurance rate to rise, both for the added cost of the mods, but also simply because you are modifying the car, and therefore are in some higher-risk category.

I'm no lawyer, so I could easily be completely wrong, but I always thought that was the case.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I actual have collector car insurance for my car. I keep it garaged and only use it on nice weekends. I list what the value of my car is at and they take a look at pics of the car, where store, the mods and give you a yearly price.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actual have collector car insurance for my car. I keep it garaged and only use it on nice weekends. I list what the value of my car is at and they take a look at pics of the car, where store, the mods and give you a yearly price.
Probably what I should do... I only put about 5k miles on my car a year. :wroom:

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Probably what I should do... I only put about 5k miles on my car a year. :wroom:
Same here. Reminds me to ask my insurance agent about it...as I am currently not listing any mods.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Doing collector car insurance, through Hagerty or similar; can and will save you a bunch of money on insurance. Like has been said, you and the insurer talk about the car and what's been done to it and then a value is mutually decided. From there it depends on how you store it and how much you want to use it.

·
Registered
866 Posts
My father(56) has his 4 cars(2003 bmw M5, 1987 bmw 535i, 1983 MB 380sl vert, 1976 RR Silver Shadow)insured with Grundy collector car insurance. I think he pays about the same for all his cars as me(34) for my 2000 M5. Yes we both own M5's:grinyes::grinyes::grinyes:. I think he had to own a car above 2001 to qualify for the insurance??

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Us UK owners are in no doubt that undeclared mods can easily invalidate cover in the event of a claim of some kind. Long ongoing argument generally about whether to declare but it's not as scary as it needs to be, and depends on the insurer. I modified my last car quite comprehensively and when renewal came and I claimed all the mods (including gauges etc., everything down to the very last detail, and I modded it just before renewal ;)), it only only went up by about £200-300, which I didn't think was bad at all. Basically, you tend to pay the hike for it being modified, then when you add anything else, it may or may not need a daft tenner adding for the policy. Long and the short of it is, worth getting as many quotes as possible from known mod-friendly insurers before modifying the car to see what you'll face. Many offer club member discounts, this helps and means they appreciate the fact that just because the car has x BHP, it doesn't mean you're going to hoon it everywhere, in fact you're more likely to take extra care of it than you're average point-to-point Mondeo driver.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have a special "custom parts and equipment" coverage addition through Progressive (since my M5 is my DD, collectors insurance wasn't for me).

A normal progressive policy has $1000 of custom part coverage, but I bumped it up to $5000 to cover the Dinan goodies I have. I don't have to list them, but I assume I'd have to do something extra if I ever had to invoke that part of my policy. It costs a little more, but it wasn't unreasonable.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I have all of the after market parts on my car insured... Faxed in the reciepts and had them scheduled as endorsments on my policy... I paid 50 dollars every 6 months for full reembursment on all endorsed mods... It's just stupid not to... Putting $20-30k into my vehicle and not having it covered if it's stolen, goes up in flames, or a total loss is just stupid... Good luck...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have listed my mods. However, mine don't stretch that much further than new alloys and tinted windows. It did cost a bit more, but less than I expected. Can't remember exactly how much.

P.S. I'm based in the UK and am with Budget Insurance

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I've never listed mods with my insurance before. back in the 90's my car was broken into (they tried to steal it but my alarm prevented them) and they stripped out all of my aftermarket stereo equipment.

I took the car to the adjuster with receipts and the insurance covered everything.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ger,
That just goes to show what uk insurance companies are like.
Just last week i asked mine the exact same question and their reply...

"provided the cost of their replacement is not greater than £1k (ie £1k on top of the price of OEM front rims/tyres) and that they are fitted correctly (wtf :rolleyes:) there will be no additional premium"

Ben

·
Registered
60 Posts
Oh I was thinking originally the post meant engine mods which might make your insurance higher. I'd never mention those to the insurance company. Other add-on mods though should just be covered if is bolted onto the car...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts