BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some people with real experience with some of the aftermarket mods to help me out. Loved my 02' 530 so much I hunted and found an 03' M5 with 2700 miles on it.

Because of the altitude (5280 ft) of Denver I approached my 530 with CAI/ECU/Exhaust upgrades, but I have heard from a couple of M5 owners in CA that the mods have little if any real effect on the M5. True? False?

If they are worth the $$$$, I was thinking of starting with the same stuff for the M5, good idea or not?

·
10,456 Posts
i wouldn't expect those mods to make a dramatic effect on a 530 either. The best bang for the buck would be headers, maybe a 3.45 diff and whatever else you'd like! The supersprint headers, x pipe and mufflers and shown nearly 30 hp at the wheels for those of us on the board who have gone that route. Their cats may add a few more hp, but the likelihood of a service engine soon light goes up quite a bit with them. Powerchip may be able to get rid of the ses light now. You need software to compensate for the mods, powerchip is the board favorite. You might see some more hp (5, maybe 10) with a cai, but those are hard to proove on a stationary dyno.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Is it worth it?......... very subjective. I did a lot of mods, did a dyno pre mod and post mod and the results were very small gains for me. However when I drive the car, I love the sound, the quick acceleration, and handeling. Is it worth it? For me, yes. It is maybe, do you want to spend the money.

LOL

·
Registered
182 Posts
who cares if the exhaust upgrade makes any extra power....the investment is in the aural pleasure it produces!

go the Tubi system, or any exhaust really, you'll give the beast the sound it deserves!

Cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL, you guys are definitely not going to help me out at home!!!
The mods I did on the 530 only got me a 10% gain (in total), but I wouldn't take them off for anything. I am curious as to how much of a difference (from a performance perspective) the mods make. I already told my wife that she would be burying me in the car, I will never sell it, so I guess the real question is, what should be done first?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Now your talking..... make a list, get prices, do as many as you can... :1:

You know the slippery slope..... :cheers:

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Get the full exhaust set up. Headers, Cats, x pipe, cans. It is a jump in power increase. Its a bit pricey... But worth every penny. The other stuff like pullies, Velocity stacks, plasma coils... those are the mods that you dont really notice the gains. They are there, but very subtle. Exhaust is the way to go. Add a Powerchip upgrade, and your all set.

josh.

·
10,456 Posts
phillym5 said:
Get the full exhaust set up. Headers, Cats, x pipe, cans. It is a jump in power increase. Its a bit pricey... But worth every penny. The other stuff like pullies, Velocity stacks, plasma coils... those are the mods that you dont really notice the gains. They are there, but very subtle. Exhaust is the way to go. Add a Powerchip upgrade, and your all set.

josh.
I agree with that 100%, having done the same mods (except for the cats). You'll really notice the exhaust, both power and sound. Everything else is just icing on the cake...
Mike

·
Registered
376 Posts
Blue_Rkt said:
I need some people with real experience with some of the aftermarket mods to help me out. Loved my 02' 530 so much I hunted and found an 03' M5 with 2700 miles on it.

Because of the altitude (5280 ft) of Denver I approached my 530 with CAI/ECU/Exhaust upgrades, but I have heard from a couple of M5 owners in CA that the mods have little if any real effect on the M5. True? False?

If they are worth the $$$$, I was thinking of starting with the same stuff for the M5, good idea or not?
I also live at 5000 feet altitude...We have to do some serious engine mods to make up for the 15+% loss of horse power at this altitude...

First thing to get is a powerchip...The CAI did not seem to make a difference...

Then go for the SS headers (keep the stock cats,saves $2500), X pipe and SS cans...

I have the stock ratio rear end (internals changed) so I cannot comment on the benefit of a 3.45 at altitude...

With the headers, she runs wonderful at altitude, and down at sea level, she runs like a wild woman. You owners who live close to sea level are truly lucky...

Mark

·
Registered
530 Posts
Blue_Rkt:

The choices given by the board members are dead on. Real Power is gained from letting the car breathe better. I just have installed the full respiration route:

Supersprint Headers
Racing Cats (cheap-o's)
Tubi-Cat Back
CAI
Power Chip

The power difference will be substantial. But the gains are primarily from the headers and PowerChip.

This is all well and good; however, you do need to get this additional power down to the ground. I see your car has 2,700 miles on it. This is low, and you probably haven't seen a clutch slipping issue yet. If you drive the car hard, and "abuse" the clutch, chances are it will start slipping. And by "abuse" I do not mean strictly abuse; the clutch is simply undersized for the power of the engine and the weight of the car.

So prior to the exhaust mods, be aware of the clutch issue.

Congratulations on the new ride. Please post some pics when you get a chance.

Yes, my signature is out of date....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have been reading alot on the clutch issue, just how bad is it? Should I plan on modding the clutch as a part of the other changes?

I have had the car for 6 mos. and put 7K miles on her, whoever bought her new never drove her, and she is still perfect. Now I go over the body every day to make sure I haven't picked up any dings......grrrrrrr

·
Registered
837 Posts
When and if you upgrade the clutch, I would get a SSK and DSSR connecting rod, these are relatively cheap and you get to enjoy them on every shift, Josh

·
Registered
400 Posts
First off, welcome to the board, and congratulations on the fine car.

The car is fast enough for me, so I cannot offer any advice on the hp modifications.

My efforts are centering around more precise shifting and handling improvements. The best times I have are when I'm alone, carving some canyons, and the major limitations of the car in my circumstances are handling related. The torque and acceleration under these conditions is more than adequate, but the handling can stand some improvement.

Enjoy your beast !

·
Registered
530 Posts
Blue_Rkt said:
I have been reading alot on the clutch issue, just how bad is it? Should I plan on modding the clutch as a part of the other changes?
Blue:

I received my '00 w/ 25K on the clock, and the first time I "banged" 2nd the clutch did not grab at all. From what I have read, people have gone 70K miles with no problems, others can't get 10K miles without slipping issues.

With stock HP, and easy shifting (letting out the clutch fully before applying power) my clutch did not slip. But that is not my driving style.

If you do plan on performing spirited shifts, I would think about upgrading the clutch. There is an infinite amount of detailed technical content on this subject, along with boatloads of opinions on which is best.

All I can say is that you need to consider what is important to you, and proceed accordingly.

Joe

1 - 14 of 14 Posts