BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read many posts on this board and there is one thing that puzzles me. Perhaps those of you that answer yes to my headliner question can help.
I find it unusual that anyone who bought a 2000 M5 would sell or trade it in on a 2001. Unless you wish to try and make $10k by selling the 2000 for a premium and buying the 2001 at list, why would you do such a thing?
There are no major defects in the 2000 which would cause one to ditch it and, conversely, there is nothing wonderfully different or upgraded about the 2001. Why are you guys doing this? I am genuinely interested in your thoughts on this. Thanks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Well I have noticed over here that some of our buyers, who bought the '98, '99 M5s are actually trading them in for '00 and '01 M5s, when I ask them why they just say that they want the latest and newest models. They are not making any money on their cars because they are used.

I don't know what its like in the US though.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The only reasons that I would like a 2001 over the 2000 are the jeweled lights and new front headlights, the supposedly improved brushed aluminum, and bigger navigation unit.

Depending on cost, I probably wont upgrade but I am allocated a 2001 unit for early spring and I will decide then

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alex- it makes perfect sense to me that someone with a 98 or 99 M would trade it in on a new one as it is a totally different car. What I can't wrap my mind around is the concept that people are getting into and out of $75,000 cars because the trim is different or because the headlights look different. I mean no offense to anyone, really. Maybe this is the new economy or something, but I don't get it.
For me, a car as fabulous and special as the M5 is something that I certainly would like to own, but having accomplished that, it would somehow be cheapened by discarding it like a $50 Walkman because the new one is out and it is .5 ounces lighter or is 2% clearer. Know what I mean? Wish I could verbalize it better - maybe next post. C-ya

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
By the way, Alex, you said "some of our buyers." Are you in BMW sales? Also, are you in Europe somewhere?

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
All,

I can understand the original question about getting a 2000 and trading it for a 2001. My situation is a bit different. It involves a couple of things. One, my 2000 came with some incorrect options. Two, I live in Southern California and the demand is so high here that a used 2000 with low miles will bring a $5000 profit over the purchase price, including title, taxes and all other fees.

I had never really intended to trade it in even with the mistakes from the dealer in Virgina where I originally purchased it. But when I got home and the local dealer told me I could get exactly what I wanted with a 2001, plus a profit and drive the car in the mean time, well.... I would have nuts not to take that deal.

In fact, you have to ask yourself, if you could do this every six months, would you? I am not saying I would, but I have never been in this situation before. Lets put it this way, I love the car(2000 or 2001 or 2002?) and if demand keeps the purchase price for used cars at this level I will always keep my option open.

Mark

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
my 00 M5 came with the incorrect options also (no alcantra headliner) and I lease it. Im talking with the dealer about changing it in for a 02 model as it seems like the 02 will be the last of the E39 M5s.

ME

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Things I like about the '01:

- Bigger NAV Screen

- Nicer stereo

Things I don't like:

- Headlights. They look strange, and I think BMW is now adding 'gimmicks' since the 5 series is becoming 'old' now. I mean seriously, what the hell do these things do?

- All leather option on Sport interior. Can't do it anymore. That's too bad and dissapointing.

That's it! For the above there is no reason (for me anyways!) to upgrade. If people have the money, be my guest! BMW certainly isn't going to complain

CA sounds like its a place where money talks, so go get 'em guys!

-Chris

·
Registered
109 Posts
Actually I am in a Multiple Car Company.
We supply cars to other dealerships in the Mediterranean and the Middle East plus we retail cars as well, so we do both things.

The company that I am with is owned by my grandfather, and the department of Motor Cars is one of the departments in that company. There are other departments in that Company.

I am one of the managers of the Motor Car departement (New/Used).

BMW is one of the many car makes we deal in.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I can think of only three things that'd make we want to change for a new one:

<UL>
[*]A wagon
[*]A lot more HP
[*]A clutchless sequential gearbox
[/list]

Everything that's been mentioned thus far as MY2001 changes is fluff.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The '01 navigations system is more than a bigger screen. Actually, a lot bigger screen.

It is an entirely new system from a different manufacturer. Current 32-bit RISC CPU. CD in the unit (no need to go to the trunk). New more flexible programming.

Some of the '00 problems are also fixed. Interior trim, etc.

The BIG knock off is the lack of all leather with the sport interior and the loss of some of the leather in the poorly named 'Luxury' interior. Really, with those seats it is still 'Sport'.

And I agree, those headlights had me looking at a Mercedes. And the M3 limited slip would be nice. And how about a shifter with shorter more solid throws like my Supra TT (which I believe has fundamentally the same gearbox from the same manufacturer.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I agree with previous posts about the 'All Leather' option. It sucks that this is no longer available with the sport interior. And apparently even the luxury interior with all leather no longer has real leather on the dashboard. This is a step back! I love the all leather interior in my 00 M5. It is a lot of extra work to keep it in good shape for years to come, but it is soooo gorgeous. This alone is enough reason for me to hang on to my 2000.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Originally posted by David:
It is an entirely new system from a different manufacturer. Current 32-bit RISC CPU. CD in the unit (no need to go to the trunk).
http://mypage.bluewin.ch/Dany/images/M5/divers/5er_7.JPG

Isen't it a VDO Daton based System ([url="http://www.vdodayton.de/products/navigation/index.htm"]MS6000[/url])? But the Navigation-CD Player is mounted in the trunk. A colleague has got his facelifted 530i wagon with the new NAV-Display 3 weeks ago and the CD player is mounted beside the Sound CD-Changer. Behind the Display is only a Cassetteplayer, but maybe there is a other Version for the US...
Does anyone have more information?

------------------
Dany

'01 M5 - lemans blue (in november i hope!)
'97 M3 - cosmos black

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sorry, made again an Error with UBB

------------------
Dany

'01 M5 - lemans blue (in november i hope!)
'97 M3 - cosmos black

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
That picture looks just like the USA 00 M5 screen- just bigger. Ill bet its the same system. The current system is pretty good, a little bit slow though.

ME

·
Registered
907 Posts
The NAV in the 2001 M5 uses the same hardware and software. Only the screen is larger. You also lose all trim treatment aound the NAV in the new unit.

MJ

·
Registered
331 Posts
The whole point is..THAT IT IS BIGGER!
Originally posted by MEnthusiast:
That picture looks just like the USA 00 M5 screen- just bigger. Ill bet its the same system. The current system is pretty good, a little bit slow though.

ME

1 - 19 of 19 Posts