BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to change my Transmission fluid this morning and like the DIY by Timmay, my transmission took more than 2 liters. Stopped by the dealer and they are telling me that this is the same fluid despite saying LT-5,where my Pentosin bottle says LT-2. I just want to ensure that I'm not going to damage my transmission by mixing oils. Here is a link to the fluid I Used and below is a picture of the fluid the dealership gave me. BMW E39 M5 S62 5.0L Search SiteSearch Transmission Fluid - 83220309031 - 75W-80 MTF2 Transmission Fluid - 1 Liter - ES#1893847

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
I'm the wrong person to answer, but this should help.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT OWN AN M5 AND THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE ARROGANT. PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT REVISED DISCLAIMER THAT APPLIES TO THIS POST

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After reading on some other forums, most said that they are not the same fluids. I'm going to check another dealer and see if they have it in the morning. Hopefully I'm in luck and don't have to order online. Any insight from anyone with less sarcasm ^^^ mmmmmm

·
Registered
78 Posts
That's interesting to see. I hadn't realized they were up to LT5.

BMW MTF LT2 is NOT sourced from Pentosin. It's a Castrol oil. Pentosin MTF2 is a substitute oil that many people confuse with OE. Of course, it's not at all impossible that BMW is selling it as LT5.

Edit: Clearly not Pentosin MTF2 after a little research.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I'm the wrong person to answer, but this should help.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT OWN AN M5 AND THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE ARROGANT. PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT REVISED DISCLAIMER THAT APPLIES TO THIS POST
I've mixed oil viscosities before and guess what happened to those cars....

absolutely nothing! its amazing they drove just fine and never had issues but like Rob I like to live life on the edge.

as a side question does anyone know where I can get German water approved by BMW to blend 50/50 with BMW coolant? I was going to use some coolant from walmart with regular American tap water but now I am second guessing that thought.

·
Registered
12,952 Posts
I've mixed oil viscosities before and guess what happened to those cars....

absolutely nothing! its amazing they drove just fine and never had issues but like Rob I like to live life on the edge.

as a side question does anyone know where I can get German water approved by BMW to blend 50/50 with BMW coolant? I was going to use some coolant from walmart with regular American tap water but now I am second guessing that thought.
I can't tell if you are serious or rao took over you keyboard!! Distilled water is the mixer of choice......

Regards,
Jerry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts