BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I have been scanning various of the postings vis coilovers but cannot definitively determine whether ALL coilover suspension set-ups on the M5 require spacers.

I'd appreciate your help as I am innately suspicious of the effect of them.

Also, I am looking for a set-up that would afford a significant improvement over OEM for occasional track use but do not necessarily require endless adjustability i.e. rebound and damping. Height would be just fine. KW Variant 1 perhaps?

Thanks.

Michael

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Generally speaking, spacers come into play when you install oversize front wheels or brakes. Since most track junkies with coil-overs are running bigger 9" or 9.5" front wheels, this is a concern.

Most of the coil-over kits on the market are designed to clear the stock 8" wide wheels and tires without using spacers.

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Michaelc said:
Do you mean 9.5 x 18?

If so, do you know what size spacer is required?
No 9,5x19" - spacer depeds on what tire(profile) and what offset you have
have on rim. I have 27 mm offset and a 10 mm spacer for
my Yokahama 265/25-19 and a 12mm spacer for my Dunlop SuperSport "R".
255/30-19 (yes the dunlop is wider than the Yokahama, strange but true)

I might remark that there is NO extra clearance whatsoever on both inside and outside with this setup, but IT works !!!

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Kw coilover setups v1,v2, v3 are all very nice, V2 seems to be the most used because of it's adjustable damping. V3 is more for those that really know how to tune it. V1 for those that dont' really wanna mess with it at all (my opinion). Spacers are not needed unless you run larger width wheels than stock. Thats not the coilovers fault.

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Jayson said:
Kw coilover setups v1,v2, v3 are all very nice, V2 seems to be the most used because of it's adjustable damping. V3 is more for those that really know how to tune it. V1 for those that dont' really wanna mess with it at all (my opinion). Spacers are not needed unless you run larger width wheels than stock. Thats not the coilovers fault.
true, but still the space with coilovers are slightly smaller than OEM :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts