BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
The trick is to really sell being upset at "needing" to fix something new. If you act too excited by getting M5 parts in the mail they know. Ask me how I know they know...
Well of course, that's textbook stuff. There's also a trick with having black rims. They can't tell when you get a new set that are also black.. dont ask me how I know.

·
Registered
427 Posts
It's been, i-can't-remember-how-many-years, my wife hasn't realized I'm swapping cats, in and out to pass smog in August. Every time I swap them out, my wife is like, "Did the car get louder?" I'm like, "No, it's just summer now, and we are driving around with our windows down more."
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
430 Posts
If you get into a S*
Exactly, it's all about the maintenance. It's why our cars have the rep they do. Look at FB owners they have no problem spending 2-3k to say 'look at my wheelzzz...'. Same people that think blackstone will keep their rod bearings safe. And when they fail it's not because they decided not to do maintenance. It's because these cars are unreliable POSs or that thick oil you know blablabla...
it is that thick oil flaco', this car requires extra special maintenance because of many things including that 10w60 oil ;)

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
Seriously, I came home in the LMB e39 m5 “shop loaner”, while waiting for my tires, my wife didn’t notice the blue m5 in the garage was not our blue m5, until the next morning.

In her defense, we had our e39 m5 for so long that she’s used to the visual of an e39.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Preventive maintenance - fuel filter.. oh yeah the E85 fuel pumps as well.. what happens when its not riding season 🤣

20200125_011911.jpg

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
@Fiftytwoeighty
Your posts in this thread convey a wealth of experience, insights, and knowledge, the m5board community would do well to learn from what you share.

My take away is that you have confirmed what i suspected since 2014:
  • vanos solenoid issue is overblown, issues can be mitigated with timely oil changes.
  • the e60 m5 platform is an ideal starting point if one wants a car that can get out of it's own way on track, not eat parts and consumables as much as lesser platforms, and have reasonable durability under extreme use conditions.
I know the weight cost more in tires and brake pads, but for me this is the smallest M car that scoots and can comfortably drive in with a helmet on.

Keep on posting and sharing track video's

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
@Fiftytwoeighty
Your posts in this thread convey a wealth of experience, insights, and knowledge, the m5board community would do well to learn from what you share.

My take away is that you have confirmed what i suspected since 2014:
  • vanos solenoid issue is overblown, issues can be mitigated with timely oil changes.
  • the e60 m5 platform is an ideal starting point if one wants a car that can get out of it's own way on track, not eat parts and consumables as much as lesser platforms, and have reasonable durability under extreme use conditions.
I know the weight cost more in tires and brake pads, but for me this is the smallest M car that scoots and can comfortably drive in with a helmet on.

Keep on posting and sharing track video's
Thanks for the kind words.

Another thing that will kill these cars: not driving them.

These cars need to be driven (and maintained properly).

I have to say the e60 is the Goldilocks size for my needs. My e39 m5 was just-a-little-bit too small for my needs. The f10, with all the power, still feels heavy and too large. F90, also really nice, but I’m not sold.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts