BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the middle of troubleshooting a handling issue and was thinking of getting a 4 wheel alignment but was not sure if all alignments are the same. The Berkeley BMW dealership wants $250 for a 4 wheel alignment which seems kind of high but did not want to take it to the local Big-O for concerns about quality. My question is what I should be looking for in a shop that will do a quality job on this.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
there is a range for the settings that should show up "green"...ask for the b4 and after specs (they can print um) and the machine will tell them the factory "ok" specs...so long as your in that all should be fine.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I've heard bad things about Weatherford.

Sonnen charged a friend 350 for a four wheel alignment- but they did it 4 times (charged on first visit, repeated it 3x for free until he was satisfied...)

I'd pay $100-140 for 'regular' cars like the Q45 (ie no 'BMW factor')

ard

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I spoke with Bavarian Professionals (www.bavpros.com) and they do 4 wheel alignments. I took it there for another issue and was quite happy with their level of expertise and customer service. I am not sure about the price but I do not expect it to be anywhere near the $250 cost from Weatherford, which seems like a cash cow for them.

·
10,445 Posts
fwiw, the mid $200's range seems to be the going rate at the dealers for an alignment in the bay area. You can probably get it for half that at an independant shop, but i'd stick with a bmw shop, as most 'generic' alignment shops wont do much besides set the toe. I doubt the local tire store would know how to set up the rear camber etc. (if adjustment was required).
I once took my previous 528 to a local wheel works, new tires and alignment, only to have the famous e39 "shimmy" present at 75ish mph. I went back 4x, they reballanced the wheels, shaved 2 tires to remove 'out of round spots' then later replaced those tires, reballanced again, and repeatedly said the alignment wouldn't cause the shimmy (despite me pointing out that the camber and caster were quite different R and L). I took the car to my independent bmw shop, who diagnosed a collapsed thrust arm bushing, replaced them, realigned the car (boths sides within tolerances now) and all was perfect again.
Mike

PS: Weatherford was the store I bought my car as a CPO. If their service dept treats their regular customers like they do their cpo inspections, i'd avoid them like the plague. My car had many defects upon delivery that their service dept missed. (and were later rectified at concord bmw)

·
Registered
251 Posts
You are all getting ripped off big time. The local dealer in NY state is $89 for a 4 wheel allignment on my M5! www.buybmw.com

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Not only does a correct alignment require a full tank of gas, but it also requires sand bags or weights in the front seats, rear seat, and trunk. My dealer does this for the dealer (read high) price. NTB said they could not align my M5 properly because they didn't have the proper weighting equipment when I bought an alignment warranty from them, and refunded my money. I now trust NTB to do the right thing, even if it means sending me back to the dealer for an expensive, but correct, alignment.

·
Registered
12,774 Posts
Re: Are all alignments the same?/Dinan Stg 3

Digi said:
Not only does a correct alignment require a full tank of gas, but it also requires sand bags or weights in the front seats, rear seat, and trunk. My dealer does this for the dealer (read high) price. NTB said they could not align my M5 properly because they didn't have the proper weighting equipment when I bought an alignment warranty from them, and refunded my money. I now trust NTB to do the right thing, even if it means sending me back to the dealer for an expensive, but correct, alignment.
FWIW, the Dinan Stage III suspension alignment specs call for 1/2 tank of gas and no one in the vehicle IIRC. Just a data point for future alignments. And my specialty shop (50 years, family business, yada, yada, yada) gets about $90 for the 4 wheel alignment. Always done right the first time. :M5launch:
Regards,
Jerry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts