BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Evosport (Simon and Brad) and Motorsports Club (Michael Ledderman) occasionally partner to hold a track day at "Big Willow". Here are the details: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=114851 . And here is Evosport track event info: http://www.evosport.com/motorsport/#driving_events .

This was my 4th time attending; and M5Board members "DeKnight" (Brad - custom blue M6) and "Rayploy" (Ray - silver E60 M5) also were there. Ray's cousin attended with his Honda S2000. There were also an assortment of Ferrari F430's, Porsche's (I brought my 996tt), M3's, a S/C'd, 750hp Viper GTS; and a 24 hour LeMans winning, Lola chassied, Mazda powered endurance race car (Pro driver Jim Busby was there putting it through it's paces, in preparation for it's upcoming entry into the Nurburgring 24 hour race. What a sight and sound THAT car was!!

It was a perfect conditions day (71 degrees and only a slight breeze). 14 "students" and 10 instructors (Simon Atik of Evosport was Chief Driving Instructor); maximum safety emphasis with corner workers everywhere and a track entry from the "hot pit" guard at all times. 'Morning consisted of on and off track instruction, followed by a fabulous lunch spread; then an entire afternoon of "on track" practicing (your choice of with or without an instructor). THAT much track time is highly unusal for these type events. Virtually everyone wore out before the day was over.

After lunch, Simon organized an impromptu drag race down the front straight, from end of turn 9 to braking zone before turn 1; about 1/2 mile in length. Besides myself, participants were Brad's M6, a red Ferrari F430, a 997 Turbo, and that 750hp (S/C'd) Viper GTS. First off were M6 and Ferrari, with F-car getting to brake zone 1st.

Next up, I was in the middle between the Viper:eek:oohhh: and the 997tt:eek:. Being worried about the Viper going sideways into me at launch ('earlier observed owner seemed to have traction issues with that thing), I hesitated and let him and 997tt go. 'Hit my rev limiter 4 times (1-2, 2-3, 3-4); but managed to pass 997tt about mid track, and almost caught the Viper before braking zone.

All the way around on a cool down lap (before a second run), I was thinking to myself "I own the 997tt and I'm going to get that Viper!!". We watched Brad and the Ferrari go off again (same result as 1st run). Then the 3 of us lined up for another pass.

Simon dropped his arm and I got a perfect launch; leaving the 997tt like he was parked, and pulling Viper by 1/2 car. Going down the track, Viper got beside me about mid way. But then, I made perfect 3-4 and 4-5 shifts, and pulled his ***** the rest of the way. My ol' "Predator" is a freaking rocket on the top end; she "represented" beautifully.

Big KUDO's to member "Rayploy". It was his first time to any track event, and he learned well. He had his big ol' E60 M5 "hot foot'n" around that track all afternoon like nobody's business. 'Pointed him by and followed for a couple of laps. His technique and line were superb, with very smooth transitions while "hauling *****!!". Very, very impressive.

If anybody here hasn't put your car on a track, or you're tired of the typical weekend "track days" put on by other organizers (usually WAY too many cars/run groups, slow traffic, and minimal track time) 'highly recommend Evosport's events at "Big Willow". Do yourself a favor and plan ahead for a day off work. It'll be the best $295 you ever spent on learning how to drive your car VERY fast; plus have a great time.

'Sorry, no vids; but I'm sure Brad's wife took some and will hopefully post them.

Attachments

Reactions: Gustav

·
Registered
907 Posts
Niiiiiiiice........sorry I missed this one....I won't miss the next....Hmmmm....which car to bring.........

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HEY!!

Sounds like an awesome time.:cheers:
YOU need to come to the next event!! (May) And bring that freaking awesome GT, too!!:eek:oohhh:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Sweet. Sounded like an awesome time.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Dan,

Thanks for posting the pics. You car is sick fast. It was great getting to know you more.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Nice Pic!!! We all had a great time that day. $12,000 in damages for the s2000
Ouch that hurts was it covered by insurance? It was the M3 that had the most damage. I hope the M3 was covered cause that was severe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts