BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This event is alot of fun. I have been to the past three, and plan on going again. Hopefully some of the Mid-Atlantic guys can make it out this time. ****AHEM**** CLEMSTER, and all the other E39 guys!!!!!!!

Even if you're not driving it's a fun day with a complimentary champagne dinner/awards cerimony.

Info:

Track Day

http://colonialchallengecup.com/Documents/Trackday4_13_2011.pdf

I will be doing photography as well as some lapping, hopefully.

some of my photos from the previous events:

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Looks like nothing but fun but I can't make it. :sad3: The wife is having dental surgery that day and will need my chauffeuring services.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i may venture out and hang out/take photos

it's a fun wednesday, for sure. it's a pretty fun track day. the past two times I have gone to just hang out.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I better see at least one more E39 on track!!!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was posting over in the 18x10 lightweight wheel thread and Matt pointed out this thread/event.

Matt - Since my e39 M5 is DD and I'm not really keen about wearing the new tires down at a track event (plus other concerns) I won't be bringing the M5. Now in that other thread you said: "SCREW the M5, bring out that Z-car!" (referencing my V8 240Z), I would but I have too much to straighten out on the car to get it track worthy to be able to make this event. I will remember it next year though! Believe me, I'll have more fun in the Z than in the M5 - 2800lbs and ~500lbft/500hp is a blast in that little skate!

BTW, it's great that the Bizzarini and other rare cars get out on the track. I love that!

I had my Z at Summit last summer for a 2-day school in July. I've done Summit a few times over the years - it's still one of my favorite tracks.

I was whining about not enough run off at Summit - I know that's only in a couple of places. But get this - I plan on hitting Watkins Glenn this October for a Chin Motorsports event before the big nostalgia weekend/race at the track. Talk about no run-off! I did Watkins about 5 years ago in a 92 Eclipse GSX (last minute Z-car problems meant I had to use my DD Eclipse instead). I LOVE that track, but man, there are lots of places where you are starring at a tire wall as you come over a hill or just off the course!

Anyway, have fun and I look forward to seeing the photos!

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if anyone is interested, give Crispin a call (his number is on the registration form) - they're usually pretty flexible about registration deadlines.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
track was SOOOOOO wet until the last session which went by way too quickly.

275s on all 4 corners + fresh suspension bits, and M5 Brakes + XP8s = overkill for a rainy, slick day.

4 cars went into the tires, mine did not.... :) . For those that stayed home, it may have been a wise decision.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you got your suspension refresh done?
what are XP8s?

did you get more shots?

XP8s = carbotech pads

I got most of the refresh done....had some issues and didn't do all I had hoped.

Front 540 brakes were replaced with the M5 units and fresh XP8 pads (rears were done over the winter because they actually fit in my 17" winter wheels).

I have about 600 shots to go through.

here are two of an instructor friend's E30 M3:

lunch-time charity rides:

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 - 17 of 17 Posts