BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When is it beneficial to reset adaptation values??

For example, any of these scenarios:
-change in driving style
-major mods like headers
-minor mods like air intake, new air filters, etc.
-after changing sensors, O2, CPS, MAF, etc.
-after changing engine components, rod bearings, chain guides, etc.
-new engine software
-or even just to reset them every year or so to keep things healthy?

This is a question for the gurus just for the overall education of the board. :cheers:

·
Registered
879 Posts
BMW typically recommends leaving the adaptation values in place for most repairs (including sensor replacement). The system will re-adjust very quickly. The exception would be any repair to the throttle system (hard parts or sensors) in which case you do need to re-set the adaptations.

I let them be unless I'm trying to track down an issue which has manifested itself as an adaptation going outside of the pre-defined threshold. These cases typically center around fuel trims and the best way to verify the repair is to reset back to zero and see how much and how fast it deviates.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I believe its good to do this after a applying a new tune to your car. Although some tuners may do this in the process. GT1 is the only way to do it outside of this correct? :dunno:

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had mine reset with an Autologic before.

So a reset after changing TPS then. Is it true that you can reset individual values? or is it an all or nothing kind of thing?

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Since you asked the question, how does one reset adaptation values?

:)

·
Registered
879 Posts
I've had mine reset with an Autologic before.

So a reset after changing TPS then. Is it true that you can reset individual values? or is it an all or nothing kind of thing?
Since you asked the question, how does one reset adaptation values?

:)
You can reset groups of values, but off the top of my head I can't remember the specific groups. I know that you can reset throttle separately from everything else and the same with fuel.

With most cars clearing codes will reset adaptations, but this is not the case with BMW. Doing a battery disconnect for a period of time (overnight) should reset them. I just use the GT1 :D

On the GT1 it's under service functions -> drive -> DME. You can accomplish the same with any BMW-specific scanner (Autologic, Auto Enginuity, Bavarian Technic, etc)

Reactions: M55555

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you cannot reset individual adaptation values on an m5. the service function in dis clears all values.
I'm sure you know a lot more about it than I do, but I swear when I got mine reset they asked which values I wanted reset (ie. exhaust, intake, fuel, etc.) or if I wanted them all reset. I just said all..

Are you 100% sure you cannot reset individual adaptations? Even with all the different tools, GT1, Autologic, etc.?

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I know that INPA can reset adaptations, but just "all" and not a subset.

Reactions: M3 Euro LTW

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
I'm sure you know a lot more about it than I do, but I swear when I got mine reset they asked which values I wanted reset (ie. exhaust, intake, fuel, etc.) or if I wanted them all reset. I just said all..

Are you 100% sure you cannot reset individual adaptations? Even with all the different tools, GT1, Autologic, etc.?
yes i am 100% sure you cannot reset individual values on the e39 m5 MSS52 dme.

·
Registered
879 Posts

This is likely the case with GT1/DIS. For certain DMEs you can be a little more selective in what you reset and to be honest it's been a long time since I've done them on the M5.

Some of the third party tools (especially Autologic) allow you to be a lot more granular in what you do to the car. This is a major boon for shops that need to replace a module on a newer car and don't want to get stuck updating ALL of the modules in the car just because a steering angle sensor went kaput. You get the ability to load very specific software updates and patches without having to touch the entire car. The service functions in Autologic are similar.

Frankly, I'm waiting to see how BMW's software update "recalls" go (and whether or not that trips up Autologic) before I cough up he $10K to buy one.

·
Banned
3,793 Posts
Guys, where can I download GT1 or something so I could install it on my laptop? What else do I need to use it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts