BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So apple is coming out with CarPlay built into new cars but I'm now seeing head units that will allow older cars to retrofit this technology such as this offering from Pioneer

Pioneer CarPlay

Has anyone heard about something that might work with our cars yet?

·
Banned
3,793 Posts
That is cool. But I just bought all new updated electronics from BMW :/ lol

·
Company Representative for Valley Motorwerks
763 Posts
Its going head to head with the Android based units.. and it will be better in many ways. My truck has the Android based Nav system from Kenwood... so I pulled the trigger on the AVIN unit for the M5. I also have a dually so I may drop it into that vehicle for long trips... idk

·
Banned
3,793 Posts
What new electronics did you get?
My car is 2001 so I bought updated radio, nav, and BMW microphone, that costed me about a grand.

I like the OE look.

Reactions: HassanItani

·
Registered
976 Posts
Hi,

There will most likely be nothing available for those who wish to keep to the OEM modules and displays in these cars - they're too old now and have no touchscreen facility so operation would most likely be painful if anything was developed for the old oem units !

The only way to have it is as above - via any aftermarket head unit manufacturers who include it. Alpine will most likely announce their unit's with Car Play in over the next few months. For ease of fitment, as mentioned again above, a shallow depth double DIN unit would be ideal - currently, it's only the Parrot Asteroid Smart which is on the market which is easy to fit that's available. I'm hoping the other premium brands like Kenwood, Pioneer, Sony, Clarion, JVC etc all release shallow depth full touchscreen double DIN unit's in the future !

The low end, budget chinese made devices most likely won't get car play as they'll not stump up the licensing fee's to Apple, nor invest in the high quality internal electronics and processors needed to run the operating system. That said, 'perhaps' they might??!!

Cheers, Dennis!

Reactions: chuffykow

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
this does look nice, i wonder if you can connect external data loggers and monitor car data

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I'll look towards this for my next new car (likely the F80, if I can wait a while as it currently not offered by BMW; hopefully for sure by the time the M2 is released). Meanwhile, I'll continue with my "bone stock" M5. Admittedly, if I was not going to add a DD in the next year I'd be more interested. Still, I always appreciate an old car with the original electronics.

·
Registered
68 Posts
if Pioneer or Alpine will have a 6.5 inch touchscreen sat nav that will be carplay compatible, so we can put in the OEM boardmonitor housing that would be the perfect thing to have!

·
Registered
7 Posts
A year since the last post... any updates on actually being able to get one of these for an E60? (2008 M5 in my case). I confess I don't know how that might work: if it replaces the entire main display, how is it possible to access the i-Drive functions and nav etc., but if it uses its own display in addition, where would it go? Confusing at best.

·
Registered
231 Posts
if Pioneer or Alpine will have a 6.5 inch touchscreen sat nav that will be carplay compatible, so we can put in the OEM boardmonitor housing that would be the perfect thing to have!
This! I'm all for keeping the stock look so if we could actually make this happen that would be awesome.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Although these units are tiny compared to the stock setup, I really wonder if you took the time to create a clean face surround if you could make this tolerable in that large area.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Although these units are tiny compared to the stock setup, I really wonder if you took the time to create a clean face surround if you could make this tolerable in that large area.
Nope, they look terrible...

Maybe offsetting the unit to the left, closer to the driver and using that empty space to the side for something like gauges, a clock, gps speed readout shoot anything to that looks close to factory and occupies the space.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts