BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to pull the trigger on an '02 M5. The car has 4200 miles and has full CPO warranty. Obviously this is almost a brand new car. It has no accident history or paintwork. Is there anything in particular I should watch out for? Is it even worthwhile to do a pre purchase inspection on a car with this low amount of miles, even with the CPO warranty?

Any help insight would be much appreciated...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Omar

I made a list before I bought mine last year. As yours is low mileage and under warranty you don't have much to worry about, but here it is anyway:

• Clutch (look for slippage - particularly when you do a high revs change up). I didn't check properly, and noticed mine slipping after a week - luckily the dealer was reasonable and replaced it for me.
  • Anti roll/anti sway bars - look for worn bushes at ends
  • Brackets for anti roll/sway bars can shear - have a look under the car at the rear for that
  • Air filters can need cleaning if it hasn't been serviced recently
  • Brakes - check for uneven discs. Brake hard from 70 or so and check for steering wheel judder.
  • Engine - check for odd rattling noises (which could be vanos issues.) A rattle for the first minute or two after starting seems to be normal while oil reaches the vanos units.
  • Sat nav (if fitted): Mark 4 is nicer than the others. You can tell Mk 4 by the DVD logo on the unit in the boot. I got a Mk 3 one in the end which is still pretty good.
  • Tyres (of course!)
  • Ask about how much oil it uses (not so relevant for you as you're barely out of the run in period at 4200 miles!)
(All that info came from this board BTW - thanks to everyone for posting over the years!!!)

Cheers

Alastair

·
Registered
136 Posts
If you're not so mechanically inclined or have extensive access to a lift, make sure you do a good test drive and pay attention to things like:
does the car pull?
any vibrations?
tracks straight?
feels solid?
any clunkiness?

i like to check every panel for straightness/alignment.
ask if they did a paint check with a gauge to make sure there is no paintwork/bodywork.

if you smell something fishy, do not be afraid to walk away. but if they did not disclose something to you (i flew to Toronto to buy a Ferrari and discovered there had been paintwork even though they assured me of none), make sure you do donuts by the showroom before declining (standard practice you know). :)

good luck.

James

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate all the help you guys have offered. I have another question. I am purchasing the car from out of state. The gentleman who is selling it does not own the title outright, BMW Financial Services holds the title. How can I arrange all the logistics so that I don't get screwed? Is it possible to pay BMWFS whatever I owe the guy, and have him pay his part, and have BMW send the title to me directly rather than to him, and having him send it to me? I would appreciate anyhelp with this matter.

Thanks

Amir

·
Registered
136 Posts
Amir,
I almost had to go through that and I'm pretty sure BMW will need to send the title to the seller once the lien is cleared. he then signs it over to you. you are pretty much at high risk if you have to pay the lien off.

feel free to call BMW financing. I gave them the seller's name and they were helpful in what needs to happen.

if you are getting financing, things might get even more hairy.

good luck.
James

1 - 6 of 6 Posts