BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am tired of all the play in my '85 B7 Turbo/1 stock BMW shifter. I received a UUC short shift kit this week that I am going to install this weekend.
I want to make sure that my Alpina shift knob will work with this.
Anyone attempted this ? Any tips?

thanks folks :thumbsup:

·
Registered
714 Posts
AFAIK, nothing unusual for any other SSK in that generation of BMW. Just don't hit yourself in the face when you pull the gear knob upwards to remove it (don't laugh, several black eyes have been sacrificed to the cause on internet forums). Make sure the car isn't hot from driving as you'll be working underneath.

The SSK will reduce the shift's travel distance but correspondingly increase shift effort. If you find that you tire of the increased shift effort (particularly 1st to 2nd), you can try an OEM BMW X3 shifter. This will yield shorter throws but give you light shift effort.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not mind more effort - as the way it is now it is way too easy. I do however want to decrease the throw. Is the X3 manual shifter a direct bolt in for a pre alum carrier (the shifter ball is housed in) in the E28? The carrier was changed for the 86 and up.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I am tired of all the play in my '85 B7 Turbo/1 stock BMW shifter. I received a UUC short shift kit this week that I am going to install this weekend.
I want to make sure that my Alpina shift knob will work with this.
Anyone attempted this ? Any tips?

thanks folks :thumbsup:
I wound up having my mechanic do this, as he was installing a new driveshaft at the time. He wound up having to ship the shift plate back to Rob Levinson at UUC to have it modified for their SSK. Seems it's different from the stock BMW part (this is probably due to my ZF S5-40 transmission - if you have a Getrag, yours may be OK). UUC was very quick in making the mod, and the kit itself works great.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I've got one I was getting ready to install. Only thing I didn't/don't like about it is that the lever is a different shape than factory. It has very little bend in it. This means that the lever, while shorter throw, is now further forward than stock! The last thing these cars need is the reach to the shift lever increased. I was going to cut/reweld it with something like the stock kink in it, but should I just talk to UUC about doing something for me instead?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Danny is the carrier for the E21 the same as the early model E28? Mine is a black sheet metal design. This was proceeded by a alum carrier design after 1985 that also uses carrier bushings. You have me curious now on the forward design.
I am very curious what the X3 shifter would do in these cars as well.

·
Registered
714 Posts
The X3 shifter is also taller so you don't have to reach as far down as you would in a "normal" SSK. For spritied driving, light effort, firm, shorter travel and positive gear engagement is desirable. The X3 (if it fits your assembly) will give you that. Some people don't like the fact it sits "tall" but in reality it works better since your hand doesn't have to move as far as the gear shift. Try and PM user Sebring NL. He installed the X3 shifter when he did his major wrenching on his E34 M5.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I thought it was the Z3 shifter that was used and not the X3 ??:confused2:dunno:

·
Registered
714 Posts
Possible shifters to try:

Z3 1.9 (little shorter)
Z3 M (much shorter, I have this currently)
X5 (reduces travel but light effort)

X3 - was a mistake I made in posting.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Ah,
thought so, anyways I have a UUC and as said its notchy but no problems fitting into alloy mount, feels good (not had it on the road as yet)

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I would imagine it will be notchy until it is used more and more. The grease is critical also. I still have not installed mine yet - but I am happy to see my Alpina knob will not be spinning around and around like on the stocker and that the height is adjustable.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Did you get complete kit with all the bushes or just the stick and base?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you get complete kit with all the bushes or just the stick and base?
Jimmy it was the complete kit. There are 2 different variations for the E28 depending on the type of carrier in the car. up to 1985 uses the older carrier made of sheet metal and the >1985 uses the newer aluminum carrier.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts