BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What kinds of problems might you expect?
Well, Eloy told me that the scoops have a raised portion to prevent water from entering the airbox. But my fear is if you drive at high speeds it won't prevent all the water from getting in, thus possibly causing an engine stall or something else.

·
Company Representative of RPI Power
3,395 Posts
So far, no problems for me (though to be fair, it's probably more convincing coming from a customer).

There's more of an issue if you don't use an air filter though. I definitely wouldn't suggest very high speeds in the rain and no air filter.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
No problems and I have been in some pretty heavy rains. Of course, like V8Venom said, I am not likely to be running high speeds in those conditions.

It may be more of an issue for those who have "plugged the hole".

·
2,432 Posts
You wont have any problems with the rain. There is a "sloped" down section right before the stock ducting. The ducting curves around at about 90 degrees then the main entrance is met with the secodary hole (the ones that some people have plugged up) which runs downward to the brake ducting. You can literally stand there and spray water at the scoops with the engine idling and it will not stall or misfire.

Andrew, you guys are nuts. I spoke with Charles and he told me about your meet. I wanted to meet up with you guys but I just wanted to get over that damn flu before I had to sit in the airplane for hours.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
You wont have any problems with the rain. There is a "sloped" down section right before the stock ducting. The ducting curves around at about 90 degrees then the main entrance is met with the secodary hole (the ones that some people have plugged up) which runs downward to the brake ducting.
why would they plug it? Do you recommend this eloy?

·
Registered
924 Posts
You wont have any problems with the rain. There is a "sloped" down section right before the stock ducting. The ducting curves around at about 90 degrees then the main entrance is met with the secodary hole (the ones that some people have plugged up) which runs downward to the brake ducting.
on the dyno @ rpi, marshall did this and it made more torque across the mid range area but it created less hp... which is more useable for everyday driving...

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
As Myke said, it seemed to show nice improvements in the midrange.
I'm not 100% certain whether this was from the plug or not though.
I didn't get a pre-dyno just before plugging them. Deknight is going
to dyno pre/post plug and I'm sure he'll post his results. I have
since removed the plugs to dyno again to see if I see the reverse
results. I'll post my results as soon as I have them.

·
2,432 Posts
Brad was the first to plug the holes up. The hole idea behind the plugging of the holes......(I know what you are thinking MIKE!).....was that the holes, which normally will draw a vacuum might be causing the airbox to not pressurize as much with the addition of the scoops...at higher speeds. In simple terms, the scoops help pressurize the box but some of the air is going out of the bottom holes. We actually made a jig/template to make the block off plates already, but we did not release them for sale because we would need to do further testing.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Here in FL it was raining REALLY Hard last week, and with speeds in excess of 100 there were no issues whatsoever. Other than the fact that the beast had more power with the cold dense conditions :biggrinbounce:

·
Registered
1,813 Posts

Brad was the first to plug the holes up. The hole idea behind the plugging of the holes......(I know what you are thinking MIKE!).....was that the holes,
How did you know I would even read this thread?:eek: But your right, I was thinking!!hiha
:cheers:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts