BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone who has the OEM Bluetooth module and the iPhone answer a couple questions for me?

Do the two buttons on the left side of the steering wheel have any effect when you hold them down or press them?

I'm wondering if you hold down a button will it invoke the iPhone's Voice Control. AND if it does invoke Voice Control, does the speech come out of the car's speakers or the phone's internal speaker?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
962 Posts
Hi, I have both and yes, the lower button works to activate voice control (sound comes from speakers in car, not phone) and also to end a call. I have attached both the bluetooth and voice control manuals, which I'm guessing that you don't have.

Attachments

Reactions: mister2d

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that info. I've been dying to know this and my optimism has been confirmed. The integration of the iPhone and BT module is excellent and well worth the cost.

So, do you have to hold the button to invoke Voice Control or is it just a simple press? Also, what does the "R/T" button do on the iPhone?

·
Registered
962 Posts
It's all detailed in the manuals but a quick press of the Voice Control button will redial the last number. Hold it in (maybe a second or so) and the system will beep and prompt you to use voice controls.

The R/T button and the arrows will scroll you through your address book on the OBC readout (below speedo/tach). I don't find it to be even a little convenient if you have more than say 5 #s in your address book so I don't use it. Though admittedly, it's been a while and I don't recall if the R/T button does other things or not; it may.

You can also scroll through your address book alphabetically in "blocks" of names on the NAV screen (better than one by one on the OBC readout) but you need to use the telephone button on the center stack (near top right of radio). Again, it's not very quick/easy so I don't use it. If I'm gonna take my hand off wheel and eyes off road, it's faster/easier IMO to find the # I want right on my iPhone.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Wait I have an iphone and a voice programmed TCU bluetooth and the voice button only activates the car's internal voice control... which is terrible, not the iPhone's... which is acceptable. Am i missing something here?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wait I have an iphone and a voice programmed TCU bluetooth and the voice button only activates the car's internal voice control... which is terrible, not the iPhone's... which is acceptable. Am i missing something here?
This is what I'm asking. Does it invoke the Voice Control of the iPhone and thus come through the car speakers? Your answer now tells me no.

·
Registered
962 Posts
My bad...misunderstood/missed the specific iPhone voice control question. Car bluetooth/voice control does not control any aspect of any phone itself AFAIK, only the built-in BMW voice control. Sorry to have mislead you.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'd love it if it would automatically go to iPhone voice control. That would be way useful!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok then here's another question.

When you use the iPhone's Voice Control button (instead of the wheel) does the voice go over the car's speakers?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Ok then here's another question.

When you use the iPhone's Voice Control button (instead of the wheel) does the voice go over the car's speakers?
No. . .the only voice you will hear is from OEM Voice Lady - there is not any other integration with the iPhone aside from the actual call setup/tear down (and the contact list of course) - the OEM BT module/Voice integration is ALL BMW baby. . .

edit: mis-read your question a little - VVV better answer below VVV

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have the factory bluetooth kit and an iPhone 4. The statement about the steering wheel button activating the BMW module's voice recognition is correct. I have a couple of common numbers "trained" into that, but I usually use the iPhone's voice dialing. I press and hold the home button on the phone and when the screen shows the blue "voice control" screen, you'll here a tone come out of the car speakers and you can speak and hear through the car bluetooth microphone and speakers.

I usually leave the phone laying in the tray just forward of the shift lever, so pressing the home button is very easy and I don't have to take my eyes off the road to dial.

Also, when answering calls, if you press the phone button on the steering wheel, the call comes through the car bluetooth and speakers. If you swipe the phone to answer, it will be on the phone itself.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I press and hold the home button on the phone and when the screen shows the blue "voice control" screen, you'll here a tone come out of the car speakers and you can speak and hear through the car bluetooth microphone and speakers.
This answers my last question.

If I can't have the voice button on the wheel to invoke the iPhone's voice control, then I can settle with pressing the home button on the phone and the output coming from the car's speakers.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I never tried the iPhone voice control option in the car... I just continuously yell "NAME!" at my car until it figures out what I'm talking about. Will try the iPhone voice control option in the future.

·
Registered
374 Posts
So - I've copied the page from BMW Parts and BMW Accessories | Bavarian Autosport which outlines the bluetooth kit they sell which retains the functionality of the steering wheel buttons.

I use a samsung cell phone and an iPhone 4. With a press of the bottom button, voice control is activated (and heard through the car speakers of course), and then you simply speak the command you wish to have executed: Call Jennifer, or Call Sid Smith and that person is called. If you wish to dial a number you simply say Call 689-456-0098 and it is done. Now - the samsung phone is WAY better at executing its voice control as it will repeat the name or number back to me to confirm that it was interpreted correctly, while the iPhone just calls the number it thinks you said, which means you'd better take your eyes off the road and look at the screen of the iPhone or you'll be phoning all sorts of crazy people because the voice recognition software in my 'free' samsung phone is WAY better at getting it right the first time than the iPhone.

All the connections for this kit are found under the armrest and it simply plugs directly into the hardware which is placed underneath the armrest - truly a plug and play. The hardware sits beneath the armrest just fine, totally concealed - nobody would ever know the car didn't come from the factory this way!

:byebye:

Showing products for 2001 M5.

(Click for a larger image)
This plug 'n' play kit lets you use your bluetooth-enabled cell phone for hands-free calling in your BMW using the phone buttons on your multi-function steering wheel! With bluetooth, you can make voice-command calls without ever taking the phone out of your pocket, as long as it is turned on. A great safety upgrade! And with so many states passing new laws about using cell phones while driving, it’s only a matter of time before it’ll be a requirement everywhere. The problem with Bluetooth has been that retrofitting your car has been a technical headache. You had to buy a conversion kit, and a speaker, and electrical connectors, and figure out how to cut into the wiring harness and fuse box, and splice into the radio to mute it when you’re on the phone... way too complicated. (And if you cut the wrong wire, way too expensive!) We have a solution. This Bluetooth conversion kit takes the highly-regarded Parrot CK3000 Bluetooth system and makes it plug ‘n’ play using your BMW’s factory phone hook-up and phone or stereo speakers. Just locate the phone connectors, plug them into the kit, mount the control box under the dash and turn the ignition key. The system quickly pairs with your phone and you’re done! No splicing, no cursing, no screwdriver-throwing. Auto-mute turns the stereo volume down when you place or receive a call. Small microphone included.
Part Number Description Price Qty.
BT AE393
Plain-Talk Bluetooth Kit with Steering Wheel Function

$ 479.95

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DDSLT5 thanks for this. That's even better news since it works like I need it to and the price is right.

$479.95 versus $840

·
Registered
180 Posts
Please post about how this works... Nav/MID integration as well as internal microphone, Nav/steering wheel buttons etc. Thanks!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Best I could find was it installed in a E46 on YouTube.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/V2xgV9v9Iak" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
276 Posts
Has anyone put this in their car as of yet? I've been dying to get something going, I've been using the LG solar powered bluetooth speaker with my Iphone 4, can't seem to get with the high cost of the BMW retrofit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts