BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, i just downloaded it and am simply amazed..takes file sharing to a whole new level from napster.

Any bets on how long it will last?

all the best
adam

·
Registered
477 Posts
Kazaa has been around for awhile and I dont see any threats, except for Apples new iTunes store, which is blowing up I hear. And Adam, I wouldnt recommend Kazaa, go get Kazaa Lite if you can, Kazaa will mess up your computer man, my roomate had it and popups would appear when he didnt even have explorer open, its loaded with spyware and ads. I personally use Limewire, but thats a mac app, since Kazaa is PC only :hihi:

Have fun,

Pierce

·
Registered
420 Posts
Yeah, Kazaa has been around for a long time. I use it every once in a while when I need a new CD to listen to. The pop-ups are insanely annoying, but I just start downloading all the songs that I want and walk away and if I need to go online I'll use my laptop or something.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I've been using Kazaa since napster *ahem* closed down. It's much better than napster. Lots of stuff to download. I'm actually surprised that it's survived as long as it has.

Millie

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I've tried several different programs such as Bearshare, Audiogalaxy, Morpheus etc but I think Kazaa is the best so far

I'm using it right now, works great. I don't have any problems with pop ups (maybe because I have Norton Security Package) that elliminates any annoying ads. :typing:

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have Kazaa since Napster went down and I have nothing to complaing! Even the popups are controlable. They will only appear if you minimize the program to the task bar... ;)
I believe its the best pear to pear program to use on the net :cool:

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I just checked the status report of my Norton Security program. Funny thing is the most number of blocked ads came from bmwm5.com hiha hiha

·
Registered
968 Posts
OMG NEVER USE KAZAA!! Its filled with spyware, banner ads, slow etc. Use Kazaa lite instead, which is free of spyware, banners, has unlimited search capability, and a whole host of other really really really nifty add on gadgets. Uninstall your current Kazaa client, download Ad-Aware and run the program to rid your system of spyware. You'll be surprised how much spyware you'd have on your system when running Ad-Aware for the first time. Then, pop over to Kazaa Lite's Website, download yourself a fresh copy of spyware free Kazaa and rejoice.

Spread the word.... :cheers:

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
What exactly is spyware?

Downloaded Ad-Aware. I'm impressed! found 41 new objects, now all deleted.

Uninstalled Kazaa, downloaded Kazaa Lite ...thanks dNA3D

Its funny that Kazaa says their software doesn't contain any spyware hmmm

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Ad-Adware is not as powerful as Search and Destroy.

Download free (or make a voluntary donation, but you don`t have to) from here

http://security.kolla.de/index.php?lang=en&page=download

Run the program, let it install and then let it get the updates from it`s site (just like a virus killer would).
Then let it do a full system scan.

Kazaa is full of rubbish, do not use.

Download Kazaalite from www.kazaalite.com but please use a modern anti-virus program and keep it up to date (I rate Norton Antivirus 2003) as some worms and viruses propagate thru the Kazaa network.

Kazaa and Kazaa lite are great for small video clips (funnies etc) and MP3s, but for large files (DIVX, DVD Rips and VCD) mainly pirate movies, use the program Bittorrent from http://osdn.dl.sourceforge.net/bittorrent/bittorrent-3.2.1.exe (direct link for the windows version) or the main site http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/

Bittorrent is harder to use at first, but the killer USP is that while Kazaa downloads direct from one persons harddisk (so if 10 people try to get Matrix Reloaded (crap film) from one guy, each gets 10% of his available bandwidth, eg horrendous slow downloads), Bittorrent uses one guys harddisk as an index and CRC checker, but downloads the .torrent data file of the film whatever from as many people who are online with it simultaneously.

So, Kazaa(lite) slows down the busier the network, Bittorrent speeds up the more people download any given file.

Bittorrent is a new program, so basically is for new stuff like films, pr0n and ISO images of Games/Apps and CDROM (eg linux) distributions. Forget it for old or obscure Mp3s, pictures etc.

You have to find a url link to the .torrent file that you want, which is where the newbies fall over, you can`t just do a "search" within the program. Sounds complicated but once you get it going, you`ll wonder how you ever did before!!

Heres a good place to start looking http://www.torrentfiles.com/

Ivan.

PS. I received all this information in a vision from above. I do not even have the internet, so have never downloaded anything at all, wouldn`t have a clue how to even if I had a computer. Or a phone line.

PPS. In fact I`m so computer illiterate, that if I ever bought one I`d probably install AOL.

·
Registered
369 Posts
IvanDias said:

PS. I received all this information in a vision from above. I do not even have the internet, so have never downloaded anything at all, wouldn`t have a clue how to even if I had a computer. Or a phone line.

PPS. In fact I`m so computer illiterate, that if I ever bought one I`d probably install AOL.
hiha hiha hiha

·
Registered
369 Posts
I use Kazaa once in a while. But every time I have used it I allways uninstall it. Have had tons of problems with spyware and ads.

regards,

peter

·
Registered
968 Posts
Well Ivan, I don't want to clear my system of ALL the stuff. Some really "effective" spyware elimination software actually select the spyware software on a presumptive basis, rather than on a database of known spyware. While effective most of the time, the chance of success is not exactly 100% and some crucial files, dll's and other core files may be wiped out from your system too. That's what I believe anyway...

ycchan: The name "Spyware" is indicative of what the software does, it spies on your system, what sites you visit, programs you have, things you do on your system, then sends them to companies, who will eventually use them to target your system, generally for marketing purposes. Then there's the darker side of spyware... the bliminn obvious.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
dNA3D said:
Well Ivan, I don't want to clear my system of ALL the stuff. Some really "effective" spyware elimination software actually select the spyware software on a presumptive basis, rather than on a database of known spyware. While effective most of the time, the chance of success is not exactly 100% and some crucial files, dll's and other core files may be wiped out from your system too. That's what I believe anyway...
No, that would be Norton Cleansweep. Avoid. LOL.

I`ve not yet had an issue with AdAware or Search And Destroy taking out any of the file types you mentioned.

For background reference, I actually work on and support laptops and PCs for a living, and use the programs above extensively for "fixing" PCs end-users have junked up using the PLCs internet link.

Therefore I`m advising from a more familiar perspective than just a home user.

Don`t mean to flame or have a go at you, just reporting that I`ve not had any of the issues you suspect might happen.... so far !! :)

I also recommend the very nice Norton Windoctor registry and problem correcter program included with the Norton Utilities and Norton SystemWorks packages.

I don`t recommend Norton Cleansweep or InternetSweep that come with those two, I suggest a custom install deselecting those two products.

I`m not related in any way to Norton, and these are my thoughts only. my 2c.
Ivan.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
raveiz said:
I use Kazaa once in a while. But every time I have used it I allways uninstall it. Have had tons of problems with spyware and ads.
Uninstalling it doesn`t remove the ads or spyware.

Read this thread again, and try out the de-spyware programs mentioned, they are free !!

Then use kazzaalite.

Ivan.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I like the program "Grokster" you can opt out of alot of the "spyware" in it. However some of my friends have told me that the newer versions of Grokster have more spyware that you cannot opt out of. It should have all the features of Kazaa such as resumable downloads, preview while still downloading and multiple downloads from different users. If you have enough users with the same file or just someone with alot of bandwidth I have had 200 kb/sec download rates.

Do as Ivan says and use Lava Softs- Ad Aware and or Sybots- Search & Destroy. Search and Destroy is the better of the two and can get rid of alot of the spyware your P2P has left. The best part about it is that your P2P will still work even if the imbeded spyware is removed.

I have not personally tried Kazaa Lite but have heard alot of good things about it. LimeWire, Bearshare, Morpheus and other Gnutella network based P2P have relatively slow d/l times and poor connect rates. They usually have more obscure files though. Audio Galaxy is complete CR*P. Do not use this unless you want some serious problems.

WylM5

1 - 20 of 31 Posts