BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So getting ready to put on my 100cell race cats.. I'm just wondering if anyone is using them...how does it sound..... my set will be OE headers- 100cell cats-xpipe-magnaflows.... no resignaters. .....

due to my class I'm running in GTA I have to run cats.. If I do "fake cats I can get protested and the will cut off cats to check...If fake it's a DQ and $500 fine. :)

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
I am running them. Might as well be a straight pipe........ LOUD.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
"race" cats? With OE headers?

Not sure that gets you anything...

Ard. Ever the champion of "race" simply meaning "aftemarket". I know that grinds your gears something ruthless!!!!

I've been on the receiving end of that one at least once!

·
Registered
12,952 Posts
Ard. Ever the champion of "race" simply meaning "aftemarket". I know that grinds your gears something ruthless!!!!
Well, stock cats are 400. Given stock exhaust manifold, it is hard to think the stock cats are impeding exhaust flow. Stated another way, unlikely 100 cell cats flow better since stock cats not causing any backup with stock exhaust.

Best way to tell is a set of dyno pulls. 100 cell cats and no "resignators" (sic) will be very loud and I am guessing cause issues if tracks enforce noise levels.

Regards,
Jerry

Reactions: 68FB and mgdmb

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
I run 200 cell cats with Dinan headers and CNS exhaust, and it is LOUD. I would be meatballed at Laguna Seca after the first lap! I also attract unwanted attention when on the street. That said, I love the sound, so I probably will leave it as is.

--Peter

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
So not so unwanted then??
Lol, except when I am stopped and have to make the argument, once again, that my exhaust is "comparable" to what came on the car from the manufacturer and, thus, not illegal under VA law. I win every time, but it is a PITA.

--Peter

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
I run 200 cell cats with Dinan headers and CNS exhaust, and it is LOUD. I would be meatballed at Laguna Seca after the first lap! I also attract unwanted attention when on the street. That said, I love the sound, so I probably will leave it as is.

--Peter
Meatball flag is for mechanical malfunctions, in case of excessive noise, you will be black flagged to pit, just FYI.:M5thumbs:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Meatball flag is for mechanical malfunctions, in case of excessive noise, you will be black flagged to pit, just FYI.:M5thumbs:
this is true. . As far as attention. .I'm not to worried about that... and keeping my or header but using 200/100 cell cats will help air flow regardless. Avg DB levels are usually 96-103 depending on track, and im not sure if anyone has ever worked sound booth but 96-103 db is loud! Lol.. i will post up dyno numbers once all done for everyone.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
So getting ready to put on my 100cell race cats.. I'm just wondering if anyone is using them...how does it sound..... my set will be OE headers- 100cell cats-xpipe-magnaflows.... no resignaters. .....

·
Registered
271 Posts
Do you think Evolve headers, 200 cell cats, and Dinan cans would be "loud"?

--Peter

·
Registered
12,952 Posts
Do you think Evolve headers, 200 cell cats, and Dinan cans would be "loud"?
Are you keeping the resonators? That, and stock X pipe (H pipe?) really help cut down the noise, although it does maintain a little more restriction.
If noise is a consideration, I wouldn't go past 200.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I went with 100cell cats from Mbs ( mandrel bending solutions) so we shall see how good they car.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts