BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put in a home made CAI the other day. Wow. Much better torque delivery.

Then the next day, I decided to change my oil. I use the usuall 15w50 Mobil1. But I decided to add some additive to provide more protection. The nifty demonstrator at Pep Boys makes me wat to try it. It shown a treated and untreated side with gears. As you turn the gears, the oil on the treated side would move up with the gears while the other side does not. As it pours out, it doesn't seems to be very thick. But after the change... Holy shxx. I get huge kick in the back as I accelerate. At the same time, no more flat spot at 4k rpm. No rough cold start and idle. No more jerky take-offs. Not a result I was expecting from an oil change. Does anyone else have this experience. I can't back this up with numbers or dyno of before and after. But this big of a difference is hard to miss.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I highly recommend you DO NOT EVER use oil additives - let me explain. Approximately a year ago my wife's 1998 740iL with 49000 miles suffered a major engine failure with brass shavings showing up in the oil filter. I brought the car in for rough running and actually drove it to the dealer not really expecting major problems (a testimony to the toughness of BMW’s!)! The car was off warranty and the factory rep was called in to examine the engine. Their first question to me was “did you put in any oil additives because the oil appears reddish?” I informed them that I did not – I only topped off with some Mobil1 on very rare occasions (which has a reddish tint apparently). “Good” they said and proceeded to cover the cost of a new long block. In my favor was the fact that the car had impeccable service records from my dealer (East Bay BMW) as did my other two BMW’s also from East Bay BMW!
I got the distinct feeling however, that had I used additives there would have been some question as to whose fault it was!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Our Manual states:

BMW engines are designed to
operate without oil additives; the
use of additives could lead to damage
in some cases. This is also true for the
manual transmission, the differential,
and the power steering system.<
Recommendation: have the oil changed
by your BMW center only.

Click here to view manual in PDF

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
Alexcwt said:
The nifty demonstrator at Pep Boys makes me wat to try it. It shown a treated and untreated side with gears. As you turn the gears, the oil on the treated side would move up with the gears while the other side does not.
That's the extent of the research you did on this product?

Sorry to be blunt, but you need to be more discriminating.

I have no quibble with additives, per se, but not all are equal- some will damage the engine.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

On the other hand some of the Lube COntrol products seem to have a strong following ...

A

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Bad move. Never, ever use an oil additive/elixor in your motor. You are messing with fire. It may wipe out your alusil cylinders or any number of things. BMW does not approve and neither does Ford, GM, Toyota or other's.

Any gains you feel are pure placebo, it's that simple. The difference in rear wheel horsepower between the cheapest $1 per quart oil you can find at a discount store and the best race oil is well under 10 HP....somewhere around 1.5% max. Adding Jacobs snake oil will not change this delta.

You simply can not feel a couple horsepower in a 2 ton car.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Alexcwt said:
As you turn the gears, the oil on the treated side would move up with the gears while the other side does not. As it pours out, it doesn't seems to be very thick. But after the change... Holy shxx. I get huge kick in the back as I accelerate. At the same time, no more flat spot at 4k rpm. No rough cold start and idle. No more jerky take-offs. Not a result I was expecting from an oil change. Does anyone else have this experience. I can't back this up with numbers or dyno of before and after. But this big of a difference is hard to miss.
Due to the extreme benifits you have described, I would almost beleive that you are a Sales person for Jacob's oil Additive. How could an oil additive give one so much benifit. Your statements are suspect and give rise to falsification.

If on the other hand what you say is true, then in the future remember our engines are not simple gears in a clear plexiglass box!!

You tell the Dummy at Pep Boys to get an M5 Engine run that $h!t (poo) in there for about 6 months, Then and only then, ask you if you would like to see what has happened to the engine.

I appologize if I offeneded anyone :1: hiha :1: hiha

·
Registered
837 Posts
I agree that I would probably not add an additive to my oil as is the case with most of you, but the guy was just asking, I feel like we are bagging a little on him, its his car if wants to try this stuff I guess good for him, I bet if he does though he will never tell us again, just observing, no slam intended towards anybody, josh

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Josh. I appreciate that.

well. I can assure you that i don't sell Lucas or any auto parts. I just love fast cars. My signature shows the cars when I start to keep digital record of my cars.

I could also assure you that the power gain is not false or psyc. I did not expect to feel a gain with the oil change in the first place. I do my own oil change every 3k miles. That's why it surprised me when I did have a gain.

I've been driving BMWs since 1982 and been using oil and fuel additive on and off. Either way, my engines ran hard until I sold each of them. Usually around 100k miles. I can't say the same for the trans. I would go through at least 1 auto trans per car. Yes, I drive my cars really hard. Red line in the first 2 or 3 gears at almost every red light. I also don't post very often but with such gain, I thought I share.

A theory that my BMW advisor told me long time ago is that when using heavier oil, it helps the ring seal against the cylinder and provide more torque and better gas mileage. But this doesn't happen at high RPM, only low end torque. So yes, no HP gain but getting off the line is all torque. HP doesn't come into play until at least VANOS kicks into high where the higher lift and timing advance is needed from the cams. If Lucas improve the seal, shouldn't that translate to more low end torque?

It's a known fact that people use HP wrongly. What you feel on acceleration is torque not HP. HP is a calculated value of work over time. That's also the reason when people brag they have 1000 hp but get blown away by a 500 hp car with a lot more area under the torque curve both in straight line and on a road corse. That is also why we have 6 second 0-60 times from a E38 740 diesel but only top out at 140 mph.

I have been doing testing on my car with home made stuff all along too. My 98 540 was topped out at 170. Yes, the speedo doesn't go that high. But the speed limit setting on the OBC will "ding" when you hit that speed. That's with my own $10 CAI, Dinan stage 1 software, and fuel additive on Kansas Turnpike. I have a ticket that states I covered 160 miles in an hour. That's the way Kansas Turnpike charge toll. But I also decided on a Dinan CAI afterwards. It made me give up all the gains and I had a hard time even pegging the needle let along getting pass it. So I pulled it and mod it to my liking. That car could easily pull away from a 2001 540i sport which has more HP and tourque. I tried it on several BMW club tours.

I am just appying the same theory to all my cars. I haven't figure out a way to do Ram Air on my 911 yet tho. That's the next project.

I agree foaming is very bad. But the oil guy is also right, an engine is not a gear box on some table. I will do a hard run later today and pull out the oil to see if there is foaming. If there is, I'll have to go back to just plain oil and the lower torque. If not, I think I will enjoy the extra power myself. By the way, the Lucas I use is the newer one that says Full Synthetic. I don't know if that makes a difference. And it's clear in color so they can't tell from looking at the oil that I have added anything.:p

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did the test today. Run the car really hard for about 45 minutes. Then immediately pull the oil to check for foam in with a. No foam in the oil. The anti foam property from the oil worked I guess.

Going for a DE tomorrow. I'll be keeping my eye on it.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I'd recomend never doing that again with Mobil1.
First it just doesn't need it.
Second you never know what it can nuetralize in the oils chemistry and cause it to break down.

"And no more jerky take offs":M5launch:
Alright! changing my oil will help my clutch!:hihi:
Sorry, just looked funny reading that.

(OT)
Just for giggles do this:
With a few small drops of soap and Mobil1 mix them together and watch it turn purple. This is a good way to see if engine builders really clean off parts before assembly. A little oil on the finger and wipe a main cap or rod.
Kinda like the white glove test.
(resume)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts